Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz - free album drop

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlimburg, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Listened to the album today and there's some good stuff on it imo. Yes, it's too long and not everything is great, but I surely will listen to it again.

starduster and ralphb like this.
  2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I believe that this is Miley singing over an excerpt from that 24 hour long song that the Lips made a while back.

3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I like "Cyrus Skies" a lot. That one and "Karen Don't Be Sad" are the real standouts for me.

4. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Cool! Thanks, I didn't know that. What?!? A 24 hour song! Isn't that so Flaming Lips? ;)

Tristero likes this.
  5. Tristero

Aren't they nutty? At least they were kind enough to assemble an edited version for record store day. . .

lobo likes this.
  6. Kakkai-Kuainen

Kakkai-Kuainen Forum Resident

If I were an artist, I'd target my works to people that like good music.

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Now, how does one hear the rest of it.... now, that it's been taken off YouTube, and my computers too old to hear Soundcloud?

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm not trying to dignify the criticism, I'm just saying that the predictability goes both ways. I know that when Miley Cyrus releases a new album, a buncha people here are going to dismiss it out of hand, and a buncha people are going to boo-hoo the apparent fact that they're among the sort of knaves who would dismiss Miley Cyrus out of hand. No one should be surprised by this little dance, it happens often enough.

Tristero likes this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

Fullbug, pablorkcz, Olompali and 2 others like this.
  10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

And, with taste being subjective and all......

11. Tristero

You can still find it on YouTube, not sure for how long. . .

12. vince

the entire thing?..... that's just one track.

13. Tristero

The rest of them are on there.

14. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

15. vince

16. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Yup. And the vast majority of us are caught in the crossfire.

D.D.

17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Psychedelic Earthling here. Thanks for the info on this release.
    I like it!

18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I haven't yet (haven't had time, listening now). Need to digest before I mentally review it. Kind of what I do with all albums. :)

EDIT : So I'm two songs in. If I didn't know this was Miley Cyrus, I would have never guessed it was her. Sounds pretty good to my ears so far, the heavy compression notwithstanding (par for the course for the Flaming Lips).

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Probably won't give this a proper listen for a week or two

Listening to some clips and samples though (and knowing a few of the tracks from live clips I've seen or Pablow from the Backyard sessions), it all sounds pretty interesting. Obviously this isn't in of itself a major commercial move, so then it very much a fun vanity project. I wonder if she'll follow a similar path to Beck, alternating between the weird stuff and the radio ready commercial sounds. It's already been mentioned that RCA won't count this towards fulfilling her contract, so clearly she'll have something more sellable to put out as well. I kind of like it when artists have "sides" to them. Being a star often means creating a certain condensed image, but some people see a chance to create more than one.

But I guess Miley has known about having more than one image for a while now

[​IMG]

20. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

So does Gene Simmons, I don't see the relevance.

mando_dan likes this.
  21. BluesOvertookMe

Good for Miley, I appreciate an artist trying something out there because she wants to. But mainly because she's a young female artist, she's getting a bunch of flack from some people.

Those darn kids and their rock music!!!

22. BluesOvertookMe

If so. I'll buy it!

23. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

I'm enjoying this album & I could probably name one or two of her songs before this. It sounds like a Flaming Lips side project but I think I prefer her voice over Wayne's whining at this point, and dare I say that I'm hearing some better tunes than the last few FL albums. Plus you can hear how the more pop type tunes have been broken down, given some eccentricities in the production. I honestly went into this with some real doubts and ignorance of her musical ability, but I'm digging it. Good for Miley. :tiphat:

pablorkcz likes this.
  24. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Serious question: does her dad act in the capacity as manager or adviser? She's clearly getting excellent show biz/career development advice from someone.

25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Dolly Parton is her godmother.

starduster and Fullbug like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.