OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I haven't tried with 24/192, but with 24/96 playing from a USB flash drive and the public release firmware for the 103D, things work just fine as long as you have a cue sheet and a single FLAC file. Speaking of which: anyone know why the player always lists the genre in quotation marks/inverted commas ("like so")?

2. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

I've used the new firmware and Tidal a few times today. The output is much louder (it is totally listenable at my lowest setting) than when I listen to music through my USB thumb drive (or watching DVDs/blu ray). My connection is via digital coax to my DAC so I'm not sure what that would be. Anyone else have an issue like that?

3. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Yes the volume output from Tidal is very loud for me too. I was hoping that the ability to play video clips via Tidal would be there but I couldn't see it........

4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

My 30 day demo on the Oppo is almost up and though I like and admire the player I'm leaning towards sending it back.

It has the resolution and open sound I am looking for, but the big downfall is the thin bass ( at least in comparison to my Denon and Arcam players).
    I go back to the Denon and am amazed at how much more presence there is for bass and drums.

Could it be a setting issue on the Oppo?
    I have it set for DSD output on SACD, HDMI audio turned off, 2 channel playback (I turned off all the other speakers and set the fronts to large).
    I keep thinking/hoping there is something I am missing at the set-up stage.

Would using the balanced outputs help?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  5. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

May have found a set-up issue.
    In the audio processing section #10, Stereo Signal, was set to Front Left/Right.
    Which, if I understand correctly, means the better DAC was being assigned to the fronts of the multi channel outputs, not the dedicated stereo outs I'm hooked up to now. Have changed to the Downmix stereo setting, will see if that makes a difference

6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi BlairG,

I use the XLR's and have NO bass issues.
    If you ask this question here.........

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...official-oppo-bdp-105d-owner-s-thread-51.html

A guy called Bob Pariseau will give you the right answer.
    He is a seriously good OPPO expert!!!

Another guy called DanF8500 is great too.

Cheers

JediJoker likes this.
  7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What sounds thin? CDs, movies, SACDs?

8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I don't think this is right, perhaps SamS can comment? I think for the best sound from the stereo outs you choose the Front L/R option.

9. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I don't think it will make a difference I think the downmix is more to do with multichannel output......I might be wrong but I think that's the right setting it is what I used-I'm sure the manual clarifies it. The only way you might have issues if you haven't for example set the SACD set up to stereo which I think you've covered.

Bass was never an issue when I used this player and I don't think there was a massive difference between XLR and RCA I used both. I take it you are using the Arcam as your amp?

What about the volume output? Have you got this on variable or max? I would also check volume against the Denon you might just be hearing more volume.

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm using a Modwright integrated now, the Arcam is collecting dust.
    It's not that the bass is bad, just not as plentiful as the Denon or Arcam and I really appreciate the bigger whack on bass drums and fuller sound on bass guitars.
    Perhaps the Oppo is actually more accurate.

I do admit that going back to the Denon gives me the bass but it also sounds a bit congested in comparison.
    Guess I want to have my cake and eat it too, which seems to be a tough balance to achieve.

I suppose I can keep the Oppo and use the Denon as a back-up when I feel like a change.
    Plus the Oppo shouldn't be hard to unload in future

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

How does the Oppo fare compared to the Esoteric?

12. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

To be frank it doesn't the Esoteric is far and away a better digital replay machine although the quality and flexibility of the Oppo for the cash is excellent in my opinion. Also the Oppo was the main stay of my previous system of lesser amps and speakers......

13. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

There are a million Oppo 105 threads here so I'm just picking this one at random to ask my question.

Here's the premise: I'm only interested in the player for SACD and Redbook CD. The video part is irrelevant.

Given that fact, is the Oppo 105 the best choice in or near the price range? I have a Sony 5400 that I'm not totally thrilled with. Had brief experience with a Marantz 8004 integrated amp that I didn't like so I'm not eager to try the counterpart CD/SACD player. Is Arcam a better choice, rated on audio quality alone? Any others that beat the Oppo?

For that matter, let's restrict the audio quality to Redbook. (I have an Oppo 83SE that I could continue to use for SACD.) For Redbook alone, is the Oppo 105 so good in the audio department that it represents a superb choice in the price range?

Thanks.

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm grappling with same question right now.
    The Oppo I have on demo sounds OK but could I do better without blowing the bank account?

Perhaps Cambridge Audio players, the Azur 752BD and their new CXU, are worth considering.
    There are many here and elsewhere that think the 752 is better from an SQ standpoint

15. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

You might want to audition a Cambridge, but other than that, you can't beat the Oppo for the combination of sound quality, price, features, reliability, and product support/customer service.

Aside from the Cambridge - or going through a bunch of used, older-model redbook-only players to see if you find one with that special sound for CDs - you're not going to top the Oppo without spending a lot more money.

And I also would be surprised if you didn't find the Oppo 105 an improvement (however slight) over the 83 for SACD playback too.

All IMHO of course.

Linger63 likes this.
  16. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

Seems to me there are a couple of options for you........

1. Try some external DAC's using your Sony 5400ES as a transport only.
    Some of them even use the SAME Sabre 32 ES9018 chipset as the OPPO 105.
    You currently have the SAME thing in your 83SE!!!

or

2. Check out some dedicated RBCD decks.

The good thing about the OPPO 105D is that it plays a lot of formats and lets you use it as a pre.
    USB inputs for listening to ripped files......asynchronous DAC input......a LOT of features.........as well as the outright SQ.

As you are asking about RBCD playback ONLY.......... the OPPO 105D would be so underutilised it just seems a bit of a waste.

There is also Option 3 which a few on here have done........

Buy a high end USED deck from the likes of Esoteric..........bit hard to audition I know but you can check this Forum for more info.

Another option would be looking at getting your 83SE modded.

Good Luck

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  17. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

I know opinions differ, but Linger63, are you saying that in your opinion the 105 would sound essentially the same as the 83SE, based on their using the same Sabre 32 ES9018 chipset? Or do you agree with tmtomh that there's an advancement in sound?

18. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I think whatever way you go that a home dem is essential as is system synergy/matching.

My personal opinion is to beat the 105 you probably need to throw cash at it-my Esoteric in it's day was seven times the cost of the Oppo and despite the fact I got it at a third of it's original price it was still twice the price of the Oppo. It's an older player and doesn't have the total flexibility of the Oppo but the pure stereo improvement on CD/SACD males it worthwhile, really worthwhile.
    If you want to throw a newer digital product into the mix I know the ones I fancy hearing are 4/5 times the price of the Oppo.

I also think if you are going to make the step up to the next level your system has to be up for it-I think for a lot of systems the Oppo 105 is more than enough.

My final gut instinct is that at the price point of the Oppo anything that beats it will very probably be a marginal improvement or indeed just a different presentation which takes me back to my original point-don't buy blind hear the components in your own listening room.

19. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I've had an 83SE as well as modded and stock 95 and 105. The 83 SE actually has quite a different sonic character than the two newer models; a much brighter, more forward sonic presentation, which (among other things) ends up being a bit fatiguing (depending on your system) compared to the two newer models.

tmtomh likes this.
  20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

at the price point of the Oppo anything that beats it will very probably be a marginal improvement or indeed just a different presentation
    This sums it up IMHO.
    Just wish I'd had the sense to home demo the Marantz before my 30 days on the Oppo expired.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If by Marantz you mean the UD7007, then unless you find a sluggish UI palatable, then you've not missed much. I use the Cambridge Audio 752BD but had the 7007 beforehand. The 752 eclipses it in pretty much every way and the sound quality for audio is, simply, terrific. Five Wolfson WM8740 DACs take care of that.

tmtomh likes this.
  22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Sorry, meant the SA8005.
    Though a universal would be convenient, my next player doesn't have to be one.
    I'm more concerned about sound quality.
    Can keep my Denon 3930 for DVD-V and DVD-A

The new CA CXU looks like it's based on the Oppo 103D (size, weight, lack of XLR's) yet will cost the same as the 105D

23. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

My 105 is anything but fatiguing. And once I added the Shunyata power cord, it really bloomed to what I'd expected.
    Before the power cord, I was a little disappointed with the bass.
    But I have awful electricity here. So you may not need one.

Interconnects and synergy with your amp, pre and speakers are also a factor.

If you don't like the stock 105, send it back. I'm a firm believer that if you spend that much on a player, it should sound great after the typical burn in period.
    The people I've spoken to at Oppo are great and no nonsense.

Linger63 likes this.
  24. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi Riddlemay,

I can really only tell you about what I have heard.
    I owned an Oppo 83.....not the SE
    I now have a 105 which sounds clearly better. (took a little while to run in)

IMHO the step up in SQ between your 83SE and the 105D..........may not be as MUCH of a difference as I experienced.
    I do think that there is more to SQ than just the DAC though (as rbbert confirms.)

Don't get me wrong....I think the OPPO 105 sounds awesome.....I love mine, use it for everything, and would definitely recommend it to MOST people.

The thing is, as I mentioned earlier, I am concerned about your planned limited use of it.
    Combine that with the fact that you have some pretty good stuff already and you may feel a bit letdown.

I guess you really need to audition it to know for sure if the increase in SQ is worth the $$ to you.

Based on your current gear and needs.......I still think an external DAC is worth looking at.
    At least you won't be paying for BD/DVD....etc capabilities that you just won't ever use.

Good Luck

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    JediJoker likes this.
  25. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Yeah, the chipset used is only a part of the sound. Players with the same chipset can sound very, very different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.