The Who - The Brunswick Singles 1965-1966: 7” Box Set......followed by Reaction/Track/Polydor sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnnybrum, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

What's going on with this box? Not only is the price a bit too high, it is still listed as unavailable on Amazon US, and does not seem to be listed at all on Amazon UK.

Yet it does seem to be available as noted above at Deepdiscount and ImportCDs. Is it really?

Though those are only at a slight discount.... (Both say the list price is $79.99, but earlier posts said 69.99 -- which is it? Either way it seems high - certainly should be no more than $10 per 7" record.)

2. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

3. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I thought the Brunswick Singles set was very nice and a good value, but not this Reaction one - gonna pass on it.

Quadboy likes this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

5. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I ordered a copy from Music Direct on Wednesday. They listed a ship date of 8/13, when I ordered, but now it is listed as N/A, so apparently it isn't coming.

6. Eddfriz

Eddfriz Forum Resident

I tried to order it from Universal on Tuesday, by the time I had created an account it was showing as no longer available. I emailed them to find out what was going on and they told me it's sold out. I haven't been able to find it on any site including Amazon UK and The Who official site. In the end I got one off eBay for £44, which I don't think is too bad.
    It arrived yesterday but I haven't had chance to listen as yet. It's a very nice looking package, with my only qualm being that a couple of the sleeves have marks on.

I'll update on the sound when I've got time to give it a spin.

7. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I notice that when I click on this link to get to Amazon.de (Germany) it redirects to Amazon,com (US) showing a high price ($69, I think), out of stock.

You can get to Amazon.de after it redirects by editing the address - leave everything the same except change the ".com" to ".de". You get Amazon.de.price of 49.99 euros and in stock.

Mine was shipped a few days ago and is in transit. I got the first box from them at a great price when it came out, delivered to the U.S. With no problem.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Ordered at first chance on Amazon US, was sent delay email and had to approve to keep my order.

I'm at the "if and when it comes, it comes" point with this. Not hassling with it further. :shake:

10. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

I've listened to the set now: all quiet and flat vinyl but no great sonic revelations; the versions of Substitute did sound different, the first one being more bass and cymbal heavy; my pick of the bunch would probably be I'm a Boy ...

e.s. and rtalwani like this.
  11. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I just did this - came to about $54 and change shipped. The weird thing is that my order seemed to go through, but then it was not listed in "My Orders" , I couldn't print a receipt, and I did not receive a conf. email. I tried again and the same thing happens. Perhaps there is a processing delay. I'll check later and cancel one if 2 orders go through.... Delivery date said Sept. 8 I think.

12. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

Their site claims to have 10 copies in stock. You might want to email them soon if it doesn't appear in your list of orders, before they disappear. Apparently they have customer service people who seek English, though I haven't dealt with any personally.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I listened to the first single in the box which was Substitute/Circles. Both sounded nice. Clean sound. Then I listened to the first side of the Ready Steady Who EP. Wasn't very impressed at all.

Newscot likes this.
  14. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

I had the same impression with Ready Steady Who but the second side seemed to be an improvement.

Tommyboy likes this.
  15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Side A is longer, less space for the grooves.

Newscot likes this.
  16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I have the 1983 reissue of Ready Steady Who and the sound isn't terribly different from the EP included in the Reaction box. If anything, I think I prefer the newer version.

17. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Several hours after ordering, I got confirmations for 2 orders saying they were "preparing to ship" and that it might be too late to cancel. I canceled one (tricky because I don't speak German - I used the translate function on Chrome). I got an email confirming they were cancelling, and today got a shipping notice for the non-canceled order only. My order history only shows one order. But my credit card had already been charged for both orders (still "pending") -- I am assuming the charge will be reversed or credited back soon; otherwise I'll have to email them.

18. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. But I bet they'll do the right thing. I had to return a box set due to a scratched disc and it worked out fine.

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks. Good to know. I'll give a spin later in the day.

20. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Thanks. Well, the charge for the order that I did not cancel is no longer "pending" at the bank, but fully posted, while the charge for the canceled order is still "pending". So I'm hopeful it will be reversed. Otherwise they'll have to issue a refund.

21. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

The next box will probably be the best value........if they keep it realistically priced.
    so how many singles will the next box [Track] contain?
    will the Tommy promo singles be included as bonus discs?

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I can't see them including any promo singles as bonus tracks. In regards to Tommy, the EP w /picture sleeve - that would be nice if it was included.

[​IMG]

Quadboy likes this.
  23. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Just got the Reaction box yesterday, and I absolutely love it.
    Was afraid they wouldn't dare to put out the artwork as they were at the time (i.e. plain white sleeves) but they did ! Kudos to them. This is the best reissue campaign I've ever seen when it comes to "singles collection". The collector's dream of having a time machine to go back in the 60s and buy all those records in mint condition is almost reachable. (I know it's an illusion since they're not genuine originals, but it's a sweet illusion).
    Looking forward to the Track box now.

24. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Mine should be arriving later today. Already chomping at the bit to get the info for the Track box!

25. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

My box was shipped over a week ago from an Amazon Marketplace seller that I repeatedly SWEAR I won't do business with again b/c it takes them forever to get the packages here, but they couldn't beat the price ($65.00 inc, shipping) so I keep doing it and hating myself for it. He's on the same side of the country as I am and I think tom'w is 10 days since I placed the order. Sometimes being a Who fan is such a pain in the a**...
    Re: The Brunswick Box - Did anyone else notice that the catalog #s (w/o Zoot Suit) are all 5 digits except Circles/Instant Party Mixture which is 7 digits (understandable) and the #s for TKAA and The Good's Gone (05965 ) are the same and the # on La-La-La-Lies (b-side of The Good's Gone) is 05968? (un-understandable).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.