Should I buy a phono pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by arem, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arem

arem Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm currently running my turntable into the phono input on my Rotel Rx-975 integrated amp, and while I have no specific complaints my curiosity is getting the best of me. Would I see an noticeable improvement by adding a modest (under $200) pre-amp like the Schitt Mani or Project Phono Box, or do I need to spend more than that before I get a worthwhile return on my investment?

2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I'm going to say don't bother (mainly because you have no complaints) but you're probably going to be encouraged by others to cough up some of your hard-earned money for a standalone pre-amp which might (or might not) give you a modest improvement in sound quality. If your curiosity really does get the best of you, you'll ultimately succumb. It's the nature of this sick obsession of ours.:sigh:

Rockos, arem and c-eling like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

4. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Look at the Yaqin tube phono pre. One of the biggest improvements to date. I think it's like ms22 or 23 for $199.00. My buddy and I did a shoot out of about 10 phono preamps. About 4 $50 ones and four between $150 and $350. We both ended up with the yaqin ms12b that's $300. But we didn't try then the less expensive 22 or 23. I've heard one since and it's great.

5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I'll second that, the Lounge is a fine piece of work with excellent sonics. I recently changed my amplification from a Pioneer SX-850 with which I used the Lounge exclusively since both of that receiver's phono inputs died, to a Luxman L-85v integrated amp, both are of the same vintage circa 1976-79. Just the other day decided to hear what the Luxman's own phono stage sounded like. Well it sounded very nice indeed, and I'm sure I could be quite happy using it, but compared to the Lounge Mk III it just wasn't in the same league. The Lounge MkIII is a moving magnet phono stage but I use it with a high output moving coil cartridge just fine. Lounge just came out with their own SUT called the Copla for low output cartridges that works with the Mk III or any other MM phono stage.
    http://www.loungeaudio.com/

c-eling likes this.
  6. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

What TT and what cart do you have??

7. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

A Music Hall MMF-7 with a Goldring Eroica Cartridge

8. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I went nuts and bought an Ares but that sounds out of your price range. I use a Project phono box on my second system and it is ok, but others could probably recommend better. I like all of Schiit's stuff I have tried, but never heard their phono pre.

The Lounge looks interesting.

9. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I think it depends on the quality of your amps phono stage.....I have tried a Cambridge Audio Azur 551,and an Angle Audio unit,both "budget",but well regarded....the 'phono stage on my Arcam Delta 290 comfortably outperforms both.Luckily,it did not cost a great deal to find that out.No idea what sort of money one would have to spend to guarantee a step up in performance.

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Very true. I have a Rega P3, only have about 30 records left after I had a major clear or a few years ago but am still considering a P3 Quest upgrade by Inspire in the UK. Such is life!

11. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Buy more vinyl, little steps cost you big$ in the long run!
    If and when you upgrade from the Rotel, then start looking at phono stages, IMO!

Slick Willie and Rockos like this.
  12. arem

arem Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is what I'm inclined to believe, but I wanted to hear from those who have used them because if $200 will bring a noticeable improvement that is worth more to me than another $200 of records. FWIW my table is a KAB modified Technics 1210 with an Ortotfon 2M Blue cart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.