80's UK & US Charts.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

The album it's from is great too. Not as strong as 'Close', but she was on the right track.

DesertHermit and bob60 like this.
  2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I think that maybe Kim should have moved away from here brother after You Came. Her career was very much a family affair and maybe that held her back a little.
    Having said that she had a great career anyway, and always seemed happy and content. If she had moved to the states she could have been swallowed up and dumped.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

There were some excellent cover versions of 60's songs in the 80's - The Lion Sleeps Tonight by Tight Fit , It's My Party by Dave Stewart , Always Something There To Remind Me by Naked Eyes et al

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Yes I thought the 'Close' reissue was excellent too. I also bought the 'Another Step' reissue which is also very good but not as strong an album. I still have 'FLM' on vinyl only and wasn't aware there was a reissue...will check it out because it was a fun record.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. DesertHermit

She's always had such a great attitude too. She was out here last year touring with Nik Kershaw and hosted a program on a cable TV music channel. She was very charming and funny and so self-deprecating about her career and the highs and lows. She did not seem to have an ounce of bitterness or regret about anything. It was very refreshing. I have a lot of time for her.

bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

The only problem with the 'FLM' reissue is that they've substituted the single versions over the album ones in a few cases.

DesertHermit likes this.
  7. DesertHermit

Well what a royal pain in the **** that is. Why must they do that? The single versions are all readily available on CD already as far as I know.:mad:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

It was a odd thing to do as the reissue is a 2 disc affair with every remix known to man!

Except the album versions of FLM, Respectable and Showing Out.:D

DesertHermit likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

There were a few more outside writers used on her 1992 'Love Is' album. Notably Rick Nowels on 3 songs. Good album, but the momentum she'd built up with 'Close' had faded by then.

bob60 likes this.
  10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

By 1992 the whole music scene had changed as well. The past traditional pop stars were mostly struggling at this point, it was all acid house and dance music fronted by seemingly faceless acts. I really didn't like the charts for the first time ever during this period. I am an out and out pop person and I like proper pop stars.
    Kim's Love Is Holy single was great but as you say the momentum had gone.

DesertHermit, ippudo and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

This was the time the music started to die for me too. Still the occasional good single or album, but not like it was between 1973-87.

DesertHermit, ippudo and bob60 like this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It was a late 70s movie, but I think it did help spur on the country pop movement.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

The country pop thing reappears every now and then. Even up to today.

14. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

UK charts for WE 10th Sept 1983.

15. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

WE 14th Sept 1985.

I've posted so many of these now it's possible some are duplicates.:D

fsutall likes this.
  16. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I've never heard those two either. I also have no memory of ever hearing the Lulu song until many years later when I purchased one of her hits compilations.

Interesting how so many songs from this chart are pretty much forgotten these days. Can't remember the last time I heard the Balance, Pablo Cruise, Gary Wright, Elton, John Denver, Robbie Patton, John Schneider, etc. songs. And the Beach Boys medley is pretty rare these days too.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Nice chart but why were a few older Billy Idol singles in the top 40? Both White Wedding and Rebel Yell were released a few years prior to this chart. Same thing with the Bonnie Tyler track, it came out in early 1984 IIRC?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Sometimes we're a bit slow here! I honestly can't remember why both hit so late. Unless Bonnie's was as a result of 'Footloose', but that came out in '84, didn't it?

fsutall likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

The good thing about 2015 is you can find any of these 'lost' songs instantly. Good old YouTube has saved me from many a frustrating moment.:)

fsutall likes this.
  20. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

From here I have #18 (the original US Arista AS 1054 issue, prior to RCA acquiring 50% of Arista and the cat. # changed to AS1-9016), and a copy of #29 with a way off-center label (so bad you can see the small 'plus sign' that was used to align the four colors in the printing, and was positioned in the center of the custom label design).

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

I'd forgotten 'What Am I Gonna Do' peaked at #3. I defy anyone but a diehard Rod Stewart fan to remember that one.:D

That said, Rod's 'Baby Jane' had gotten to number one earlier in the year. 1983 was good to Rod.

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Actually I remember that one but have never liked it. I like Baby Jane though. I likes his earlier stuff more.

23. Bobby Morrow

I struggled to remember it and I have the album it's from.:D

24. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Yes, "Holding Out For A Hero" came out in the US in 1984. It did OK, but wasn't a big hit. I also see that "I Can Dream About You" by Dan Hartman was on the UK chart at that time - again, that was a hit in the US a full year prior. And the debut Lloyd Cole & The Commotions album came out in the US in 1985; we didn't know about the Easy Pieces singles until 1986.
    Also - "Drive" by The Cars - that was a hit in 1984. Is the reason it's so high on the 1985 chart due to the exposure from Live Aid?

"Rebel Yell" was released here in 1984, but was bigger on MTV than it was on the charts. "Dancing With Myself" is also considered a "hit" here, but it never charted.

"Lean On Me" by Red Box - I don't believe we got that here in the US until 1986, if memory serves me correctly.

25. Bobby Morrow

'Drive' hit big due to Live Aid, yes. The Cars were never very popular here. That might have been the only hit from 'Heartbeat City'.

Don't know why Billy Idol had 2 songs on the top 40... I don't remember him doing especially well here. He had a couple of hits with Generation X in the late 70's, though.

Wish I could remember why Bonnie Tyler was doing so well... She'd gone to number one in '83 with 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart', but none of the other singles from the album did much.

Surly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.