How come Brubeck's 'Time Out' is OOP on Vinyl in the USA???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Beave, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

But the Columbia 6 (and 2) eyes are things of beauty and are a great example of where the original(s) are still the best :) and as common as dirt ;)

2. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

How does it ? In what regard ? Ive often wondered if it was as good.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Original pressings tend to have a lot of top-end splatter.

The 45 RPM version has better resolution (clarity/detail), frequency extension, imaging depth/width, dynamics, etc. etc. All the good stuff.

Agent57 likes this.
  4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it! Thread Starter

Yeah, it's kinda weird with that one, but I bit the bullet so we'll see what it sounds like. You scored BIG TIME from what I've been reading with your 4LP Classic set. That thing is going sealed on ebay for upwards to $300 now. The AP reviews keep going back and forth on sound quality but from what I've read the consensus overwhelmingly favors the Classic Records versions, both the 4LP and the 2LP and clear 200 gram.
    I've noticed that with the Mono 200 gram Classic I had of Axis Bold as Love. Both were mastered by Bernie, but the Classic edition, compared to the Newbury Comics edition, has a much fuller sound ie: bottom/bass end that the new one cant touch. So what was it about those Classic editions that make them edge out even newly Mastered Bernie editions?? It seems that they consistently beating out all other pressings.......why is that??
    the beave

5. The Beave

Now, Action Pact, what 45 edition are you referring to here?
    the beave would like to know.....

the beave

6. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Thats very true. May have to seriously investigate a 45 set now! Now where did The Beave say he got one from?

7. The Beave

Merrick, that does make sense to me. I did find a couple of NM copies for under $20 on eBay last night but they were the 'mastered digitally from the original analogue master tape' versions.......Hmmmm, why would you take the analog tape, bump it to digital and then master it to analogue back then????? Unless by that time cbs had already been using 'copy' tapes for the re issues and those 'digital' editions were the first time in years that they actually used the master tape. That would make sense, but Record Companies are notoriously silent about their practices. I still laugh at Abkco's 86 'from the original master recordings on virgin vinyl' moniker they used on their 80's lps, but we know they really did NOT use the master TAPES (funny how they used the word 'recordings' instead of 'master tapes') for those LP's, and they didn't sound very good, in fact they sounded just like the original American 'London' albums......Hmmmm I wonder why????????????????:D

the beave

8. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Vinyl is a niche product. Often the original label decides not to release a vinyl version but to grant a licence to dedicated vinyl labels such as Music on Vinyl (MOV). To me, that counts as "in print".

Since vinyl reissues are usually limited edition runs, it can happen that a certain album has sold out and is no longer in the official catalogue until the next reissue version, but it can still be found in stores. In that case, it's not in print, but that doesn't mean that it's hard to find.

9. The Beave

10. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Fantastic! Thanks Beave :)

11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

It's old?!?

12. The Beave

LOL!!!!! Where did you get that pic of the bald beatles!!!!
    Hilarious.....
    Spot On Man......
    the beave

13. action pact

Sorry, I forget there were two versions. Mine is current one on Analogue Productions, not the earlier Classic Records pressing.

14. action pact

[​IMG]

15. The Beave

Excellent, I feel better now. Looking at the old thread where Sergio just slagged the AP 45rpm to no end, that thread just stopped cold in 2012. So it's nice to get some up to date perspective from others. I can't see AP letting out a 'lousy' sounding product, they've got too many quality controls and the damage to reputation would not be worth it.
    the beave

action pact likes this.
  16. The Beave

Classic. Man they look scary!!!
    The 'Crop' Tops!!!!!
    the beave
    Now back to our Brubeck 'Time Out' discussion.

So, to anybody here with the newest Analogue Productions 2LP 45RPM version, does the bass sound 'full' on this issue? Very important to me.
    the beave

17. action pact

Yes! "Pick Up Sticks" in particular has very driving bass! I could probably do a quick audio clip for you, if you like.

18. The Beave

Excellent AP (!) (nice initials!!) A clip would be fine.
    Now Your getting me excited about getting this!
    If I start slobbering just laugh at me ok???
    the beave

19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

And all for just $44.

20. The Beave

Yeah, well after three beers last night and seeing how much the Classic Records versions are going for on ebay (holy crap!!) I decided to bite the bullet. :crazy:
    But that's also because I sold an album on line for $100. :righton:
    'Aint I a Stinker' B.Bunny :D
    the beave

troggy likes this.
  21. action pact

:)

22. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

24. The Beave

Excellent! But I already bought the 45rpm version.........
    incredible, but still cool!!
    the beave

25. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Wanted to provide a review of the AP 33. It's very good overall and a steal for $30!

Vinyl is dead silent (QRP quality as usual lately) and sound is nearly perfect, if not a bit bright. This could be because I recently replaced my stylus and it's not yet broken in. Couldn't imagine the 45 sounding much better for the price difference... And having to get up every 6 mins!:D

I'd recommend this to anyone. Too damn hard to find clean early pressings.

tubesandvinyl and McLover like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.