What's the greatest Blu-ray movie? Just got a machine, your favorite restorations?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

The original Japanese GOJIRA is just unsettling due to its tone, even aside from Godzilla.
    I can't suspend my disbelief while watching a cartoon dinosaur that was just placed into the action. So different strokes for different folks, I guess.

2. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I didn't mean to infer that I liked the new films better than the original. In fact, I don't, but I'm not bothered by the CGI, though in both cases the monsters in the recent films look no more or less real than in the 1954 film. The tone of the original Gojira (yes, I know the original Japanese name, also) is suitably dark, and the actors play their parts well. I like the film, but at no time to I accept the rubber suited guy as any more real than the cartoon versions in the later films. Sadly, I don't think you'll ever see another film with special effects done the old-fashioned way. Modern audiences just won't accept it, and I truly don't mind well-done CGI. Jurassic Park was completely convincing, IMO. Yes, they used models in some scenes, but others were either wholly CGI or a combination of the two. It can be well done, is all I'm saying. Honestly, I've never been a fan of "special effects extravaganza" movies. I want it all, good effects (and I don't care how they are done), a great story and good acting and directing. A film must be more than the sum of its parts. We're really getting off-track here, so I'll say no more and let you have the last word on the subject.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Not liking a movie because it does have CGI seems strange to me.
    sorry, but I'm a fan of CGI!

4. Michael

for me it has made for great entertainment. love it!

5. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

No need for exclamation points or apologies.
    Whether or not a film has CGI being the main criteria for judging a film seems idiotic to me ...
    Which is how the original post was worded.
    Being unable to watch and enjoy a film because it doesn't have CGI robs you of most of film history.

6. Michael

I watch a film for the story. no apologies.

7. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

The funny this is, if there ever WAS a real dinosaur roaming around, he probably WOULD appear sort of rubber and unreal looking.

Well, modern audiences are a lost cause. Many of them won't even watch black and white, never mind practical effects. You see things in films (hell, they're not even "films" anymore, they're 'digitals") as advancing; I see it as devolving. I think younger modern audiences are the last thing I would ever go by in evaluating movies.

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Uh, ok. I'm trying to wrap my mind around that. I thought it was supposed to be a sarcastic, ironic joke. But whatever floats your boat...
    I believe this was meant to be a joke - albeit a poorly placed one.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  9. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Taxi Driver
    Apocalypse Now

blind_melon1 likes this.
  10. To help get this thread back on our host's topical focus(it is HIS thread, after all), I've sent Steve the latest 4k-restored blu-rays from Warner of "Gone With The Wind" and the 3D conversion of the family classic "The Wizard Of Oz", both cinematic icons from the amazing year of 1939...

11. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I saw Wizard of Oz in 3D at the theater with my kids a couple of years ago. We loved it! Great conversion imho. I was skeptical before I saw it, but as the cliche goes it really brought you right into the land of Oz. What incredible production design, fx, and makeup on that film! And three strip Technicolor redone to perfection!++++

bluemooze and lukejosephchung like this.
  12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I've been playing Deep Purple Made In Japan on Vinyl and just ordered Breaking the Waves on Blu Ray - It is a beautiful picture with lots of great songs - my favorite being Child in Time - fingers crossed that it is a beautiful release on BluRay. I've seen this movie before - simply wonderful!

13. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

A while back I posted my Help! BD rant in another thread, which triggered quite a bit of criticism from fellow forum members (Vidiot also chimed in)... ;)

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I was saying Blade Runner 'a sci fi movie would look better in CGI ( green screen). Not to say though a remake would be better mind. Blade Runner looked impressive for a early eighties flick watching it real time. Also, I seen a restored version around 92' and it still looked impressive,but twenty years on ..sadly no.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  15. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I was quite impressed with the colourised BD version of "Its A Wonderful Life".
    Very natural. It's like looking at a live TV show.
    Gone are the murky unnatural blues and greens seen in the 80's colourised versions of the Hal Roach talkies.

16. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Why would you ever want a movie to look like a live TV show?

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

[​IMG]

HD television looks natural these days in widescreen.
    Watching the colourised version of It's A Wonderful Life was like somebody filmed it using a modern HD camera. The colours were natural and it didn't look artificial.

18. Larry Geller

Nothing is going over my head. Unless you were being sarcastic & it went past me. Videophiles go to great lengths to make sure that their TVs do NOT have the "soap-opera effect" that you seem to think is great. Film on HDTV is supposed to look like film, not video or live TV. But you like colorized movies, so why am I wasting my breath, anyway. And they STILL look terrible, regardless of current improvements of technology. IAWL looks glorious in Blu-ray B&W.

budwhite likes this.
  19. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Have you actually seen the colourised version of It's A Wonderful Life?

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

What's the point? Does the movie became more entertaining or impactful because they added color to it?

I have zero interest in colorized movies - I think they're utterly useless...

Rachael Bee and Larry Geller like this.
  21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Yes, I think it makes it more entertaining. Especially if it is done correctly.
    Monochrome to me is unnatural.
    In the 40's and 50's when it was monochrome or nothing, and sometimes the occasional colour movie, people didn't know any different. But now when the technology is there to do a perfect job of colourisation, I would say give people the option.

22. Larry Geller

Yes. Crap. More colorful crap, but still crap.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

There's no such thing as "perfect colorization". It's always going to be unnatural because it was intended to be black and white.

Films aren't shot with the same technical considerations when they're color vs. black and white. The movie was meant to be seen black and white - if they'd wanted to make it color, they could've done so.

Hey, I think the Mona Lisa would look better if she had a bigger rack - let's get someone to fix that!

stereoptic and Larry Geller like this.
  24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I love that Mel Brooks told the studio when they insisted on Young Frankenstein being color that he would walk (and he did). They said that he could shoot it in color and they could make it B&W in post for release. He insisted that if he allowed that some idiot would later then restore the color for a video release and he would have nothing to do with that option. Fortunately he hooked up with Alan Ladd and made the classic as he envisioned it.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Black And white is more natural?:biglaugh:
    If a director intends a movie to be unnatural. i.e. monochrome, that's his problem. A lot of directors did not have much choice in the early days due to technological/financial/artistic constraints. it doesn't make it any more natural than if they created those movies in colour.
    I like the old Disney cartoons. But an artist has chosen that colour for Pinocchio's face or Mickey Mouse's jacket. Is the artist who colourised "It's A Wonderful Life" any less of an artist? Maybe/Doubtful. But I would take the colour version every time if it is done correctly, because it's more natural to my eyes than any black and white movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.