Is there an all-in-one turntable that doesn't destroy records?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MadMelMon, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glide

glide Forum Resident

2. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

Rockos likes this.
  3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

My problem with Crosley is that they prey on the Boomers who likely played their 45's as a kid on something that looked similar. I know I played a lot of records on an old all in one that was likely more damaging, but these were also records that were piled in a box without sleeves and tossed on the floor and generally abused. Frankly most of my 45's as a kid were jukebox castoffs that my mother would bring hime to us when they restocked the box at the restaurant where she worked. Some of them had even once been flat!

I know my cousin has a Crosley and would get excited at the concept of playing a record at some point though I am sure one never actually touched it. I gave her several hundred 90's juke box cut 45s and she was thrilled. If you want to get a Crosley and hit the thrift store and scoop up a bunch of 50cent "treasures" then by all means, have fun. It'll be money well spent and a fun avocation.

I guess there are two different levels of "getting into vinyl". One that is for the fun and novelty of the process and another that considers the process a means to achieve better sound. I actually think a lot of the folks that defend vinyl to the death fall more into the former than the latter. I'm talking about the "death to digital!" vinyl is ALWAYS superior folks out there (and there are many!).

4. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

I think for the majority of people wanting to dable in LP's, having an all in one option with even a budget cartridge/stylus that won't eat records would be great.

5. I've posted here a lot on these Crosley threads because I too see a need for an all-in-one at a reasonable price. I know Crosleys are horrible on records and there are You Tube posts showing caparisons and such. But I also know several younger friends who started on some of the larger Crosly players as an intro and now have either new or nice vintage separates. Basically graduating from the Crosleys. In both cases I have heard several records that I had initially gave them 8 or 9 years ago that were played on these players for up to 5 years. I have also heard those same LPs on their new Rega and vintage Technique tables years later, and I gotta say there was no damage of any of them.

Again I know Crosleys are not nice to records, but I do think the hatred is so overblown on sites like this. I totally see why somebody would buy one to test the waters. Playin a record a hundred plus times on one might eat at he albums but as my friends started building there collection with them, they both did just fine.

David Campbell, bluemooze and Rockos like this.
  6. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Well, here's one played on a Grace Audio table after ONE play:

[​IMG]

tin ears, McLover and bluemooze like this.
  7. RMB77

RMB77 Well-Known Member

I had a B&O all in one system in the 70's that had a decent enough turntable. I used it as a bedroom system briefly but traded it in on a 4002 to upgrade my main system. I have no idea of the model number.

8. MikeInFla

9. Well that certainly didn't happen on the Crosleys owned by my friends. One record I remember giving my friend Amanda was a Mississippi John Hurt Folksinger reissue. This was in around 2007. She now has a Rega Rp1 with a vintage Yamaha receiver and that same record is as quiet as ever. I know it is one of her favorite records and I obviously don't know how many times she played it on the Crosley but it was a lot over 7 plus years.

Just think most of the people posting their hatred don't have first hand experience.

10. MikeInFla

My experience with a Crosley is just based on what I heard from a childhood friend. He got an all-in-one for Christmas 2012. It played at the wrong speed so he returned it. The next one would glitch while recording CD's. Returned it. The third one had similar issues as well and he returned it for good and instead got an AT LP-120. He did manage to burn one CD for me, Gary Numan "Pleasure Principle". Since he lived 500 miles away back home in TN I told him to stop by my dad's and he could have my LP's. He burned that one to CD and mailed it to me. I guess the speed was fine but it was very thin or "trebley" and didn't have much bass to it. It was one of the few he got to work on the Crosley before dumping it for good. So when it came time for me to get a turntable I skipped the Crosley's and went straight for the AT LP-120 and have no regrets. He said "since you have a record player now do you want your old records back?". I said "No, don't worry about it I gave them to you so you keep them I will start a new collection". Not to mention I haven't lived in Tennessee for almost 20 years now and rarely go back. So he said "well, if anything happens to me I want you to have your records back and you can have all of my music stuff". Sadly a few months later he was killed in a car accident. His wife called me one day to ask if I wanted any of his records. I said "yeah, I want them all. He said he wanted me to have them and about half of them are mine anyway". She reneged on the deal and sent me nothing only saying "He paid a lot for those Iron Maiden picture discs". Well.... this is the SAME Iron Maiden discs she was unhappy with him purchasing because they were "the devil's music" and he shouldn't be listening to that stuff. Didn't make sense to me at all, since it was the devil's music then why did she keep it? Dunno. I wish I had my records back but I wish I had my buddy back even more. Met him when we were kids in 1980 and we were best friends ever since.

So anyway, not to get side tracked but that has been my only experience with a Crosley, based on what he told me he went through when he ended up with 3 different units all of them faulty.

Isaac K. and Mazzy like this.
  11. vinyl13

vinyl13 Forum Resident

No do not get it. That thing smells of cheapness and it has a sapphire stylus.

12. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's not normal. I frequent a few used record stores, and some have Crossleys available for trying out the open merch. I've bought a significant number of records I played on these first, and I've never had an issue like that. I know Crossleys can be/are problematic in the long run. but one play shouldn't do that. it's not like these things are Califones.

13. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Played Queen's The Game many many times on this when I was 7. :)

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Crosley does the same damage as that Grace who's photo was earlier. I repair turntables, I have seen the Crosleys do this in real life.

MikeInFla likes this.
  15. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

That sounds like they were taking the signal PRE RIAA correction. Not surprised...

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Rockin' in the "Old School" days!

Knew neighbor kids who played their 45's on one like it.

Rockos likes this.
  17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Just sensitive hipsters :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.