Best and worst record stores you have visited.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl13, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I've only been there once back in the day. I knew I would never return when I brought the records to the counter and the guy pulled out THE BOOK! :eek:

Oh yeah!......I know the guy you're talking about; a real nutjob!

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and brought them back to his shop and overpriced them! LOL!

serge, SuntoryTime and royzak2000 like this.
  3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Plaza and Wuxtry must have merged or something at some point. It's now a single store on Rte. 13 just a few blocks east of downtown.

4. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I'm going to keep it local (Montreal)

Worst:
    Closed: Mars. The scummiest, scuzziest, lowest-of-the-low staff. Rude, grossly overpriced, they would lie to out-of-town customers (pre internet) and claim other stores had shut down, had burned down.
    Still around: Cheap Thrills. Condescending staff, lousy selection, poor turnover of stock, overpriced records, and far too many sections/sub-sections.

Best:
    Closed: Sam The Record Man. Simply the best record store chain Canada ever had. Great selection, Friendly, knowledgable, staff. Fair prices. Amazing boxing say specials, too. I miss that store.
    Still around: Beatnick Records. Great selection, fair prices, friendly & knowledgable staff. Also, honest & fair evaluations on trade-ins. Also gives you top dollar on your used records & CDs. I've seen customers bring in rare records, not knowing what they had, and the staff & owner will tell you it's rare & why he's paying you so much for it. Very moral business practice.

5. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

I'd like to imagine I haven't found the best yet, but my usual hangouts, Amoeba and Lovell's (in Whittier) are always great.

The worst I've been to is a little place called Nerdboy (also in Whittier). They either must've recently been robbed around the time I went in, or the owners are paranoid by nature, because I could feel someone's eyes on me the entire time I was there. Sure enough, the folks at the counter had their eyes on me every time I looked over. No thanks.

6. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I really dig Sonic Boom in Toronto dead-smack in the middle of Chinatown!!

I felt like a teenager again upon visiting for the first time!

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Me too, before it was sold to investors.

roberts67 likes this.
  8. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Best still in business:

Amoeba in SF
    Downtown Music Gallery in NYC
    Bop Shop in Rochester, NY

Best of the dead:
    Sam the Record Man in Toronto
    Yardbird Records in Coconut Grove
    Record Runner in Buffalo (before owner got fixated on Mercedes Benz autos)

Worst:

too many to name. Reasons vary: dead stock, shoddy or no grading considerations, high prices, arrogant, lazy and/or exploitive owners, etc etc etc

tvstrategies likes this.
  9. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Best or worst?

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

As a Mass native and resident, the Boston area music store scene is far from what it once was. A Jets or Colts fan would call it deflated.

ARK likes this.
  11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Current faves:

Bull Moose (especially the Scarborough, Mill Creek, and Portsmouth stores)
    Newbury Comics (Norwood and flagship stores only)
    Listen Up (a reasonably priced hole in the wall in Natick, about 20 miles west of Boston)
    Deja Vu (also in Natick and needs to be experienced once...less organized than a record show and the owner is a character, but there are plenty of finds)
    In Your Ear (the branch near Boston U, I'm not familiar with the others)

Least faves:

FYE
    Urban Outfitters (maybe it's the hipster attitude, but it just feels wrong)

A for Effort

Barnes & Noble

RIP but fondly remembered

Looney Tunes
    Disc Diggers
    Strawberries (ahh, Morris Levy)
    Harvard Coop (70-80's heyday)
    Circuit City
    Best Buy's music department
    Lechmere

LordThanos1969 and zen archer like this.
  12. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

I'll add another store to my list of favorites, one that has been mentioned multiple times in this thread: Princeton Record Exchange in Princeton, N.J.

I had heard and read positive things about this store for years but had never had the chance to visit until earlier today when I took a road trip to New Jersey from the D.C. area. Excellent and large stock of new and (especially) used CDs and LPs. And the prices are among the best I've seen anywhere. They definitely price items to move, which is cool to see. PREX, as it as referred to, is definitely among the top 10 stores I've visited in the U.S., and maybe among the top five. It's a guaranteed wallet-emptier. Definitely worth checking out if you're ever nearby. And Princeton itself is a pretty nice/cool college town.

13. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Oddly enough, this is true for any of the Half Price Books in Phoenix too. They rarely get anything in whether it is on CD or vinyl. When they do get vinyl, it is almost always grossly overpriced.

14. joshranwest

joshranwest Member

Here in Athens, GA we have a stellar selection. Wuxtry Records, Secret Sounds, and Low Yo Yo Stuff. My favorite has been Low Yo Yo though. Bought $50 worth of vinyl and they gave me 2 records for free just cause. Now thats awesome!

15. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

For some reason, Half Price Books here in MN is surprisingly decent both in selection and price, though I've heard horror stories from elsewhere in the country.

16. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm sure that's true. It's still pretty darn good though. Austin, TX has really good record stores too.

17. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I was recently at this store, as well as the one in Cambridge. The Boston store is larger and I liked them both. I wish that I had time to go through the thousands of 45s that each one had.

18. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

My favorite: Now long gone Vinyl Fever in Tampa. In the pre-Internet, pre-Amazon days, this place was just great. It had a fantastic back catelog inventory, great prices on new releases, and knowlegable and friendly staff. I could spend hours there, especially in the vinyl days. I actually feel a little guilty when I think of it because I, like many others, decreased the visits once CDs and the Internet made shopping so much easier. And now it is just a happy memory. If I could go back in time to shop, I would love to spend another day there.

Runner up: Tower Records in S.F. or N.Y.

thxdave likes this.
  19. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Randy's in SLC is a great stop.

20. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I asked before because I've bought records from forum member @Wasatch that had Randy's price stickers on them and they were in nice shape and reasonably priced. My only complaint would be that Randy's uses too many price stickers on the actual jacket and labels. Fortunately, they're the kind that are pretty easy to remove without damage.

21. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

I'm also a fan of the Half Price Books stores in Minnesota, which is where I used to live and still visit fairly often. I primarily like the stores for their selection of used/out-of-print books, including on music. I've found some pretty good titles at the St. Paul and St. Louis Park stores especially, books like Nelson George's definitive story on Motown Records, "Where Did Our Love Go?"

The CD and vinyl bins at Half Price are pretty hit or miss, but they are worth checking out and occasionally have some choice items -- usually more so in the CDs.

22. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

Randy's has been around for a long time. I've been going there for over 20 years.

black sheriff likes this.
  23. shiverbones

shiverbones Forum Resident

Because I love weird christmas, space age pop and exotica, there is no better shop than jerrys in pittsburgh. Deep inventory and everything $3 to $7.

I really love euclid in new orleans for well rounded stock. You never know what you will find from exotica and jazz to post punk and doom metal. Always a treat to explore.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Worst was a short-lived place that reeked of pot smoke that used to sell homemade cassette dubs of bootlegs for $10 each, and bootleg CDs for $20 each.

25. npc145

npc145 music junkie

I was college room mates with the owner Rob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.