Lemmy in bad shape

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Well, that didn't take long.

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

4. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

Lemmy will do exactly what Lemmy says he will do. Keep playing until he drops. I'm sure he's a mess physically. But it is the only thing he does. He probably has years left in him.

5. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Do you think that maybe they (management) are doing a BB King and just trying to keep wheeling him out for more gigs when they know they shouldn't be......?

6. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

He looks pretty weak in those clips. Should probably take some extended time off, I would think at least a month. Maybe the whole tour.

No matter how much he insists he will play until he drops, I 'm sure he knows he can't keep playing 2-4 song shows.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

Painful.

8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

WOW.......................
    How f'ing sad................
    the beave

9. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Boy, he's lost a lot of weight.

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Pretty sobering to watch Lemmy stagger out with a cane to announce he can't perform after getting through two songs. He looks terrible and his performance reflects that. I'm not sure he'll ever "get better" as he's 70 years old and things don't tend to improve as one ages. This could be the end of the road.

The Beave likes this.
  11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I actually didn't realize that he needed a cane until I saw the video.

12. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Lemmy's a true original. They don't make them like that anymore.

I've been fortunate to have seen them many times.

13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Motorhead announced on their Facebook page that they will not play San Antonio. The show will continue with Saxon headlining.

This is a good thing. Lemmy needs to recover.

Saxon did play an awesome show last night. Fans should not be denied their performance just because Motorhead can't play. Maybe with the extra time, they can play "Denim and Leather" and "The Eagle Has Landed". (They didn't play those in Austin.)

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

What a great performer.
    He gave everything for years and years.
    I don't blame him for trying to still perform.
    I would rather end my days doing what he is doing than sitting around in a hospital or other care center although that is where I will get dumped.

SpinningInfinity and dlokazip like this.
  15. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

he should probably start doing unplugged acoustic on a stool

16. zen

zen Senior Member

Lemmy sings Carpenters?

Seriously, would Motorhead songs translate to acoustic on a stool?

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Sure, with the right arrangements, I could see it working.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I would not want to be the one to suggest it to Lemmy. :wantsome:

SpinningInfinity and bhasenstab like this.
  19. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Sad to hear all this, glad I got to see Motorhead on the Mayhem Fest 3 years ago. Lemmy needs to give up full continental tours and just do a few festivals. Hopefully he will recover soon, although even if he dies tomorrow, he will have lived a full life on his own terms which is all any of us can hope for. I do have to agree with those in Austin who would want their money back though, 2.5 songs does not a concert make.

20. IpseDixit

IpseDixit Forum Resident

I wasn't at the show, but I wouldn't want my money back under these circumstances, assuming any of the money from the tickets is going directly to Lemmy and the band members. I don't think he's super broke or anything, but if his health is that poor, he probably can use the dough - musicians don't exactly have great health insurance most of the time, and with serious health issues he could burn through a lot of money fast.

Plus he's given me so much over the years that I'd just consider it a donation to a worthy artist.

21. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

It very well could be.

It's amazing he has lasted as long as he has - only other performer that springs to mind is Dan McCafferty from Nazareth. He's another guy who was/is a heavy drinker and smoker who continuously delivered the good. Naz played incessantly, really never missing a gig until right before Dan retired (because he couldn't perform anymore.)

My guess is that as long as he smokes (and drinks probably) that Lemmy will not get any better and will not be able to perform live. Could probably still do studio work.

If he quits smoking, that could make a difference - your heart starts to recovery very quickly. Lungs take a bit longer but still can recover. Trouble is, there is damage done and he is getting up there.

But, all in all, an amazingly potent run.

As as aside, I've really just started getting more into Motorhead this week with him being in the news and the new album release. I've had the early classic stuff for years and years but have, for whatever reason, not really connected with it in any big way. But I've been listening non stop and man oh man that is one hell of a band.

SpinningInfinity and GodShifter like this.
  22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I can see both sides.

I won't besmirch anyone asking for their money back. They didn't see a complete Motorhead show. I'm sure even Lemmy would agree with that.

On the other hand, I won't be asking for my money back.

One reason is that Saxon needs to get paid. They put on an fantastic show. Sure it was only an hour and not the promised headline act, but they just killed. It was worthy entertainment. If an announcement had been made during the show that Motorhead couldn't play but Saxon would continue, I would have stayed. (Crobot should get paid, too, but they're Crobot. They played well, but you could have put any guitar-bass-drums-vocals band in that slot and been successful.)

Another reason is that, for what it's worth, it was an event. Again, not the event we were promised, but there was still this weird vibe of both support and spectacle that I can't deny. Considering the events of the last few days, we knew that anything could happen. Motorhead could cancel at the last minute. Motorhead could have ripped our heads off for two hours. Lemmy could have collapsed on stage in the middle of the show. We simply didn't know.

As you can tell by the video, there was a great deal of support for Lemmy at the show. There was concern, respect, and, dare I say, love.

I didn't get to see a Motorhead show, but I got to see Motorhead. I got to see the stage setup. I got to see the same roadies from the Lemmy documentary. I got to see them try to play a few songs. I got to show my appreciation to Lemmy, Phil, and Mikkey. I got a story out of it. That's good enough for me.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm not sure I agree with your sentiments as noble as they are.

People put their time and money into seeing a show, and if the performance doesn't go more than 2 songs, well, that's a problem. That isn't a show. Get through half the set? That's different.

Bottom line, and sorry if I sound like a callous jerk, but if Lemmy was feeling that bad, and announced it around the 2nd tune, they should have just cancelled the performance.

ArpMoog likes this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

Lemmy already looked weak at Glastonbury and those clips of Austin are very sad but moving at the same time. The old pirate is determined to play until his gasp. Respect.

SpinningInfinity and dlokazip like this.
  25. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

It's a definite problem moving forward. He has to stop a show early once, okay, that happens. But it's fast becoming a regular thing and you can't keep charging people full price for this.

Too bad Motorhead wasn't opening for Guns n' Roses; Axl could have stepped in and played an extra long set to cover for Lemmy. Oh, wait.....

GodShifter and dlokazip like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.