The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Excellent! I love it when that happens. :cheers: I too was amazed at the difference, and find the mono version more intimate as well. Fitting for what to me is an intimate date. I think the presence of a vocalist makes that mono staging even more appropriate. I have not heard the SC LP but can't imagine it being anything less than stellar, looking forward to the verdict. I wonder why, knowing that there's a mono master, that the ORG 2x45 was not mono? Or at least I can't find anything that states differently.

DrJ likes this.
  2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Sure, but it took a long time for that first pressing to sell out. That's just letting the market decide availability. Keping the actual music contained within the box in print on less-expensive individual releases is just good business reasoning. If the box had sold out quickly, it would have made sense to continue the press run until sales declined.

Labels like Mosaic have to impose a limited run because it's part of the licensing deal from the copyright owner. The music itself doesn't have to stay unavailable. It can (and occasionally does) get reissued at any time by the original owner.

But people (especially in the jazz world) DO issue actual limited editions. Labels like Qbico/Sagittarius A-Star or Po Torch or musicians like Mats Gustafsson put out albums that go out of print immediately and remain unavailable to fans unless they're willing to pay insane markups on Discogs or eBay. They INTENTIONALLY create rarity by producing less copies than they know they can sell. To what end?

3. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

You're right! Never noticed that...or maybe I did when I bought it back in 1995 (wow, 20 years ago?) and forgot it was there. #1137/2500

Thanks!

4. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Same design, so I take it is the same. 2008 copyright

5. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ralph Sutton & Johnny VarroA Pair of Kings (Arbours Jazz)
    — With Phil Flanigan, Ed Metz Jr; live at the Broward Center Amaturo Theater, Fort Lauderdale, FL

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

What album is this?

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Marzz and DrJ like this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

Amazing it's been 20 years. It's definitely easy to miss. When I pulled it out yesterday I instinctually looked for it on the slipcase myself.

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

[​IMG]

Inverted of course. On Yazoo.

Electric likes this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

12. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Tomorrow's Jazz today! ;)

[​IMG]

13. AxiomAcoustics

Branford Marsalis Trio: The Dark Keys

Branford Marsalis: Tenor and Soprano Sax
    Reginald Veal: Bass
    Tain: Drums
    Guests:
    Joe Lovano: Tenor (4)
    Kenny Garrett: Alto (6)

I like my Jazz served-up this way. A spare trio format, minimalist recording intervention with a sound stage as though you're at the gig. Perfect for escapism. Space. Fire. Interaction. This is a fantastic trio date and....
    To obtain more wood sound from the Bass, this album was recorded without usage of the dreaded Bass direct.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Six String, DrJ, miklew and 5 others like this.
  14. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

On the TT! Another one of my Holy Grail records. Jackie Mac original press on Ad Lib. Very sweet.

[​IMG]

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Mine's listed as #579 (in red ink)/2500. Page two of the booklet, eight opposite Chuck Nessa's liner notes.

16. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

I am loving this trio record. "Farewell Mulgrew" is a wonderful low key number.

[​IMG]

17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

What do you mean by "unauthorized"?

18. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Original cover is cooler:

[​IMG]

20. miklew

miklew Forum Resident

On the TT! Rashied Ali !!! Original pressing on the Survival Label ( Rashied's own label )

[​IMG]

93curr, LavidDange, charlesp and 5 others like this.
  21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

The divine Miss Louise Brooks as Lulu. Why on earth would they not use that cover?

charlesp and DrJ like this.
  22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

:laugh: Good ol' Defeayo

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I guess it didn't fit with the re-issue series. But the original is definitive.

Somewhat off-topic, but this seems to be the original still from which the cover was taken. Beautiful, mysterious, and a bit creepy.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Scopitone, DrJ and 5 others like this.
  25. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Freddie Hubbard - Blue Spirits
    Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; Joe Henderson/ Hank Mobley, tenor sax; James Spaulding, alto sax & flute;
    Kiane Zawadi, euphonium; McCoy Tyner/ Harold Mabern Jr., piano; Larry Ridley/ Bob Cranshaw, bass;
    Clifford Jarvis/ Pete La Roca, drums; Big Black, conga.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    bluemooze, JustLust, DrJ and 8 others like this.