Songs Marred by Loud (or bad) String Arrangements

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It's a little over the top but I don't mind it. However, I don't really like the strings on "Old Friends" -- the arrangement seems overbearing for what is supposed to be a quiet, wistful song. I prefer hearing Paul and Art do this with guitar only.

2. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Hold On by Wild Cherry. Fortunately, the original version can be found on the debut album

3. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

I"ve always felt that way as well with "Old Friends"..... if anything a single cello would have worked better.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I read an interesting comment from Randy Newman once that he liked Don McLean's "Vincent" but didn't like the strings, and wanted to write a better arrangement himself. Sometime I need to listen to that song again.

Fullbug likes this.
  5. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Interesting! I didn't know that.

I enjoy the album but it all seems a bit out of place... You are right that it's very different from his stuff.

6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I agree. I know Denver loved the work of his arranger/conductor, Lee Holdridge, but with a folk singer like Denver, whose songs tended to be very organic, they should have opted for the "less is more" strategy with regard to orchestrations. Classic example: the song "Summer" on the "Rocky Mountain High" LP is unlistenable due to the clunky, heavy handed production. But that same song, on the double live album, is performed with just an acoustic guitar and it's stunning. It's my favorite John Denver song, in fact.
    By the way, have you heard the studio version of "Annie's Song" stripped of all the strings? It's on one of his compilations. A big improvement over the hit version!

7. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

Completely agree. Lee Holdridge did way more harm than good for John Denver's music, IMO.

8. Indeed, that's one of the first songs I thought of. Spector's idea for strings overwhelms the song itself and buries the emotional core of the song making it schmaltzy.

e.s. likes this.
  9. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but the strings at the opening of 'Wichita Lineman' sound dated and shrill to my ears.

10. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, I honestly prefer the version on ...Naked.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  11. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"She's Leaving Home"

ralph7109 and eeglug like this.
  12. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

a lot of Lennon songs would have benefited stripped of syrupy strings...

mastaflatch likes this.
  13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Not me...

14. audiomixer

:laughup:

15. audiomixer

:laughup:

16. audiomixer

:laughup: :crazy:

17. cadesdad

cadesdad Forum Resident

Excellent point. I think Denver was overly enamored of Holdridge's arrangements. That's why I tend to prefer the solo acoustic CD's that have been released since Denver's death--for the most part, his songs work best in a simple, acoustic setting. I really like to be able to hear his guitar playing--he was very proficient at accompanying himself.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  18. cadesdad

cadesdad Forum Resident

The only positive about Spector's string overdub was that it covered Lennon's terrible bass playing. I love Lennon, but there was a reason McCartney usually played bass. ;)

e.s. likes this.
  19. John54

John54 Senior Member

I rarely find string arrangements too syrupy or over the top. I love From Genesis to Revelation, The Long and Winding Road (although it took me years to get to that point), A Man Needs a Maid, and Be My Baby. I like You're My World and I've never had a problem with anything by the Mamas and Papas. However, like all Canadians, I'm totally sick and tired of These Eyes ...

I listened to the Ramones' cover of Baby I Love You, for the first time ever. It's not a patch on the almost indescribable awesomeness that is the Ronettes' original, but at least it beats the pants of the dreary Andy Kim cover.

As for that Love Spit Love track Green, it must have been deliberately designed to sound avant-garde or something. In my opinion, it didn't work. Try Crack the Sky's Ice instead.

Meanwhile, when I get a moment, I'm off to listen to Nico's Chelsea Girl, the first two Tim Hardin LPs, James Taylor's debut, etc. etc. I appreciate the pointers ...

20. cadesdad

cadesdad Forum Resident

I've always thought the strings on Kenny Rogers' song "Through the Years" sounded awful--loud, shrill, with no depth and no bottom. What I would imagine constantly playing in Norman Bates' head. :wtf:

utopiarun likes this.
  21. maxman

maxman Forum Resident

What...did he...did you...

Are you serious?

Muzyck, sixtiesstereo and e.s. like this.
  22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:yikes: I agree but you must have cajones to post that here. :)

e.s. and Fullbug like this.
  23. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Don Sebesky. IMO Creed Taylor, Don Sebesky and CTI ruined Jazz and the credibility of Jazz in the 60's

24. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Ferry Cross the Mersey

There's a version without strings that sounds amazing.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I like loud symphonic charts, and I like them for dramatic effect, but the stereo remix of The Troggs' "Love Is All Around" is way overcooked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.