Experience Hendrix - Live albums so far

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Ok cool. Thanks for the reply.

dino77 likes this.
  2. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

I would question some of EH's decisions--for example, the editing of tracks and misleading marketing. BUT there's no comparison to Alan Douglas's tenure. Lots of excellent stuff has been released, and I for one have enjoyed the vast majority of it. The Berkeley and Winterland releases are my favorite live ones so far.

3. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Nice summary!

dino77 likes this.
  4. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Yes, all good stuff. It just didn't include the particular segment with Al describing ways Jimi would respond to people asking him for money.

5. old school

old school Senior Member

I have a feeling the next live release will be Stockholm 67. I was hoping for Royal Albert Hall but that one could be held up for awhile.

MoonPool and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thats what i thought too. anything that was in print when the lawsuits started could remain but nothing new. in the west was not in print when this silly mess started

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Wasn't it stated somewhere that all of the concerts on Stages would be reissued at some point by Experience Hendrix William?

8. Matthew Tate

yes it was

9. old school

old school Senior Member

Yes John, I have a Email from EH stating they would release all Stages concerts as single cd's. Looks like EH is almost there.

John Fell likes this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

EH will probably hold something good back to dangle as leverage when this contract runs out.

old school likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

black gold lol

905 and old school like this.
  12. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

In Your Opinion POB, which is fine. Really. Fine.
    But what Isn't a flawed set in this incarnation of EH releases?? Anybody can nit pick to dooms day and at the end of the day we have what we have.
    Look what happened when Jagger and the Stones camp listened to the 'fans/collectors', the result was 'No Security' and it didn't sell dick. So there is a lesson there and also why Steve is so quiet in most of these 'discussions', the fan and collector are fickle to put it mildly. And they sure can't please everybody, as evidenced by your comments. But on the other side of the coin, I, the one and only Beave, enjoy this album and all the other EH releases thus far. But now I will thank God that I'm not a Hendrix fanatic and that I can enjoy what is/has come out for what it is: Some of the best Jimi Hendrix songs in existance. And on incredible sounding Vinyl at that.
    Now, back to our regularly scheduled program........

Anybody snag that Acoustic Sounds 200 gram 'Voodoo Child' box set yet?????
    $56......how dog nuts is that?????
    the beave

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

My guess is a least one of the live shows. Berkeley, San Diego or LA Forum most likely.

They might also offer something like reissues of Concerts, War Heroes, Loose Ends or Nine To The Universe.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    slipkid and old school like this.
  14. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Thank YOU SA!! Clarity is a very GOOD thing.....
    Indeed.
    the beave

15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I completely agree. On a lot of the live recordings, and especially the later ones, Jimi was played 'the hits' because he was obligated. You could tell he wasn't always into the songs.. "Uh... this is a song we wrote back in 1873" . But he was typically engaged on the longer, less conventional songs like "Hear My Train A'Comin'" and "Machine Gun", "Tax Free", "Red House", etc. Songs that gave Jimi the room to stretch out and take it to another level. I consider "Hear My Train A'Comin" (Rainbow Bridge) "Machine Gun" (BOG) and "Red House" (Hendrix in the West) to be the three greatest live electric guitar performances ever.

kees1954, JoeF., vmajewsk and 6 others like this.
  16. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

EH can keep releasing live material, but I'm not sure any of it will excite me. It's amazing to compare something like Live at Monterey with Atlanta Pop Festival. Monterey shows a hungry Experience making every note count, where Atlanta Pop has entire songs that feel like the band can't wait for the song to finish. The BoG Fillmore East shows are the last live material that feels as if Hendrix was fully invested in it. After that, even the best 1970 shows pale in comparison to 1967-68. Which, thankfully, was not the case for what he was doing in the studio in 1970.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There were plenty of other AYE/Axis songs that he barely played live that fans would have eaten up if he was so bored of Haze/Joe/S-Free/Foxy. In the US his albums always sold better than the singles.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

A reissued complete Berkley with both shows is always a possibility.Hey, throw in some of Randall`s Island as bonus tracks.

19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Ottawa is essential in my book (even though the Dagger disc is slightly off speed, has a gap that isn't on the tape and is a gen higher than what circulates in collectorville).

20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

EH has released a ton of stuff over the years, the sound quality isn't that important.
    But stuff still gets unearthed by the fans for the rest of us.
    The recent nuremberg 1969 2nd show recently made itself known. While rough, it is a "new" show.
    The first night at the RHA, great, but a bit too much echo.
    A Sweden 1967 show as well.

Even if were not for EH, I'm sure we'd have heard most of what they released.

21. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

22. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

True, but not all of them, ie the softer material, worked live, with the outdoors/festival gigs. Jimi probably quit playing songs like Wind Cries Mary and Little Wing because they required the audience to be quiet. You can hear his frustration on the '68 Hollywood Bowl tape where he has to re-start LW.

23. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

No one even mentioned Janie in relation to the In The West album until you did. An unfounded and of kind misdirected criticism.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Gordon Johnson and Cope_Freeland like this.
  24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, the Ryko Winterland that came out in '86 or '87 was a revelation sound-wise at that time. Previous to that, all I'd ever heard of live Hendrix were crappy sounding cassette bootlegs. Even if Winterland is not the best performance, the sound was glorious. We played the heck out of it in college. :)

Erik B., vegafleet, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  25. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

There is a fan made from the DAT master of the Jimi Hendrix BBC sessions complete with studio chatter & false starts that sounds amazing!

JeffMo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.