Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic 100 question...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Old Audiophool, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am using a DacMagic 100 in my computer audio system using the optical input and am very pleased with the sound, but as always the mind starts wandering. I have read in numerous forums and reviews of DACs that use wall-warts, that the use of a dedicated power supply really ups the ante and gives the DAC better sound quality, but I have been unable to find any other power supplies that would work with the DacMagic 100. I was hoping someone here uses that DAC and has upgraded their power supply.

Bill

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I used to have one of those. I would hazard to bet you would hear no change.

Rolltide likes this.
  3. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Excuse this ignorant Limey:)....what is a "wall wart"?....seen the term used before,and clueless as to what it is!

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

It's where the power supply transformers and other electrical bits are contiguous with the prongs that plug into the wall power receptacle. This creates an unsightly bump on the wall as opposed to the more streamlined and fashionable standard plug. Wall warts are often but not exclusively associated with inexpensive consumer grade electronic devices like cordless phones. My RP6 and Fono MM both have wall warts.

5. Blue Nile Fan

Blue Nile Fan Forum Resident

I have a Cambridge Audio DAC and bought the Pangea power supply upgrade. I did an A/B comparison and there is a difference. Mainly in the detail and clarity. If you listen closely, you will notice it. I am pleased with mine - I have it hidden behind the T.V. and just flip the switch when I am ready to play. I bought a used model through Audio Advisor a couple years ago. If you find a power supply, go for it. Maybe you can find one on E-bay.

6. Old Audiophool

Hi Blue Nile Fan, I knew that eventually someone would chime in as a user with power the supply upgrade, thanks. Is it possible to list the model number because all the Pangea power supplies I find listed are not for use in the US. I appreciate your help.

Bill

7. Old Audiophool

Hey Blue Nile Fan, I just visited the Audio Advisor site and found the Pangea P-100 power supply on clearance for $49.99. On the heading it says EU version but when I opened the pics, the pic on back says it is USA version with the extra wires for the EU use. Thanks for steering me in the right direction and at the right time.

Bill

8. Old Audiophool

Just an update here. Blue Nile Fan, the 1 that was advertised was the European model. I just called AA and cancelled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.