Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Or disharmony:)

Johnny Reb likes this.
  2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

That's actually a very true representation of how radio was in the 80's too. I found a comment on the page that TOW and POP were announced from a guy who used to work at my local oldies station that played current music and oldies back in the 70's and 80's. He told me that every single Beatles song was in the radio playlist (minus Revolution 9) and he also told me the Paul McCartney catalogue which was comprised of around 20 songs. When TOW came out, the album was played often and he remembered that Ballroom Dancing was a popular song at the station at the time.

3. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

So while going through some boxes and poster tubes yesterday (as I moved house late last year), I unearthed these "artifacts": a record store near my high school in Hyde Park (Chicago) used to let me take lots of their promotional stuff once they were finished with it. As we're all just killing time anyway until these new sets are released, I figured I'd post pics as they're on topic.... How unbelievably sad that a cheap cardboard display made a 30+-year trek from Chicago to New York to the mountains of North Carolina!! (Never mind that it's still my least favorite McCartney album but I'll admit to having a wistful pang of nostaglia when I found it yesterday.)

Btw, I sure miss the days when music folios were routinely released in tandem with albums. (Though who am I kidding: you'd barely be able to find a place to buy them these days anyway.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You need a tote bag to carry around those nice items!! ;)

5. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I also own that Paul standup too! I got it from my local record store in 1983 a few months after the record came out. Still have it and it's in great shape. I may have to dig mine out now lol.

theMess, ConnieGuitar and Johnny Reb like this.
  6. ConnieGuitar

I'm sorry to admit I have one on order from Best Buy! We'll see if I made the "limited supply" cut.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also had a huge 4' x 4' Pipes of Peace promotional poster that unfortunately did make its way to the trash as it suffered water damage. Paul crouching with the pipes held in front of him: my 51-year-old knees hurt just looking at it!

There was once a POP promo shirt in my collection as well but I decided somewhere along the line that it was too naff for even Ms. Beatle-geek here to wear. (Meanwhile, I could probably be asking $300+ for it on eBay now!) I did keep my TOW shirt though - even the (ahem) stylish wristbands too: think I ordered these directly from the Fun Club way back when?

Holy cow, I needed help.

[​IMG]

7. Arnold Grove

Oh, you will look mighty fine wearing those wrist bands while carrying around your hopefully-to-be-sent tote bag.

But how are we doing in the hat department? Anything appropriate? ;)

8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I'm finally done totally immersing myself (albiet much belatedly over last 3 weeks) into the last set of reissues (V&M & SOS) and its been such fun! Boy, these Archive reissues continue to set new standards for deluxe editons. Yeah, the audio content is bit less than what we'd like (altho we did get 17 bonus tracks on V&M) but the overall experience of discovering these albums in such comprehensive manner with good remastered sound is totally worth the $60 for me.

I just posted my quick take on the SOS reissue here - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...chive-part-seven.395941/page-14#post-12924441

What its done though is made me more open about the possibility of buying the Pipes of Peace reissue next month. Since I'd never heard SOS prior to this month, I had also somehow subscribed to the view that it perhaps wasn't worthy of any deluxe treatment. However, the reissue proved me wrong and I've really enjoyed the last couple of weeks with it. Guess I just need to experience these albums personally before casting any judgement on them. One thing is sure, these Archive versions do fantastic job of presenting work in best possible light.....beyond that, we each have our own tastes and preferences.

I think I will dive back into McCartney II next as my September segue between the last two reissues and the upcoming ones. Bring it on MPL :)

Edit - I posted my thoughts on V&M last week - http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...chive-part-seven.395941/page-14#post-12803562

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  9. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

While I will mindlessly buy the book edition of Tug Of War, Pipes Of Peace is different. Although I'd like to have it, the $67 price tag is hard to explain to my wallet... :)

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I had/have that poster, too. It was enormous.
    [​IMG]

supermd, csnfan, theMess and 3 others like this.
  11. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Anyone doing record or CD bonus exclusives this time around? Don't feel like wading through a million post to find out. Those Best Buy 45 records were pretty cool.

12. ConnieGuitar

That's the one! I'm trying to recall whether I actually ever had it on the wall as there wouldn't have been room for much else - it really was gigantic.

I think you've got me, Arnie - I don't think I've ever owned any Macca-related headwear. Oh, the shame.... :shake:

13. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

It's a shame he didn't use this or a similar picture for the album cover - which has to be his worst ever (after Driving Rain of course).

14. Arnold Grove

May I suggest:

[​IMG]

15. Arnold Grove

16. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Surely this is the way to go:

[​IMG]

:D:laugh:

17. JimC

JimC Senior Member

McCartney II -- My favorite by far of the deluxe editions :love:

18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I have enjoyed all of them, but that was the most excellent so far IMO.

Johnny Reb and JimC like this.
  19. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

I dunno... both are pretty bad but I think Broad Street is by far the worst :)

20. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Best Buy has exclusive tote bags this time around. That's right...I said tote bags.

apple-richard likes this.
  21. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

Thinking of the Archive Collection's deluxe treatment of Macca albums...As far as I know that isn't really new.

From memory I recall at least Band on the run, New, Memory Almost Full, Good Evening NYC, Electric Arguments, Ecce cor meum, Chaos and creation, Wingspan, Run Devil Run and Kisses on the Bottom already have been released in deluxe or special editions over the years. (There were also the Off The Ground Complete Works and Flowers In The Dirt Japanese edition compiling "b-sides".)

Could it be that albums yet not treated this way will be prioritized in the future?

Johnny Reb likes this.
  22. Johnny Reb

I guess we'll know "Coming Soon"! :D

23. Arnold Grove

I propose that whoever posts the next legitimate "Coming Soon" card here should win a tote bag!!

theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  24. Johnny Reb

I second that motion!

theMess likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

I wonder if they've printed up the next "Coming Soon" cards yet. If so, those cards are probably sitting in some office or warehouse, waiting to be inserted into the Archive sets.

We need to find them! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.