Elvis Costello: News, Conversation, Analysis, Criticism & Opinion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Okay monkey, speak your mind!

Sadly I can't find an EC rendition on YouTube. But I nominate this to be the theme song for this thread:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    Koabac and GetHappy!! like this.
  2. DeeThomaz

In the area of news, according to an Amazon listing, there seems to be a new 2CD soundtrack coming out next month to accompany his upcoming memoir.

http://www.amazon.com/Unfaithful-Music-Soundtrack-Album-COSTELLO/dp/B014K8FLTM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1441243900&sr=8-9&keywords=Elvis Costello

As no track listing is included, it remains an open question if it's just another Greatest Hits compilation (or even an existing one that's been re-titled), or if it will include rarities and/or unreleased material. Or will he fully emulate Bob Dylan and the approach he took with the No Direction Home "soundtrack" that was almost entirely composed of unreleased versions of his most seminal early songs.

DmitriKaramazov and dee like this.
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

I sure hope so re some unreleased stuff for the 2 cd set!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

Frankly, I would be surprised if it doesn't contain a few such tracks however I can see how this memoir could appeal to music buffs, historians, and a few readers as such anyway, and how the two disc set would be a greatest hits compilation for marketing or publicity purposes. Hand in Hand so to speak with the memoir and possibly reclaim a few old fans and maybe even interest a half dozen new ones and then do a straight forward retro like greatest hits tour which actually to my mind would not be a bad idea. I have only seen him in concert a handful of times and none of those concerts were by and large exclusively focused on an all hits or fm radioplay or music video kind of setlist.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Kind of think that the "And Disappearing Ink" part of the book title would require "All The Rage" to be on the soundtrack.

Claudio Dirani, dee and DeeThomaz like this.
  6. DeeThomaz

On that note, "Country Darkness" is the only song of his that comes to mind which includes the word "unfaithful" (Suffer little children/repent, unfaithful maid). Any others?

Many of his songs explore that theme, of course!

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Elvis Costello is the Stephen Colbert of Rock and Roll.

8. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

now THIS is the truth!

9. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Great idea for a thread! Here's a question which should get some responses rolling in - name some acts/genres you've investigated and enjoyed by first listening to Elvis. I'm (totally) paraphrasing here, but Aimee Mann once said something to the effect of, "Elvis is basically a conduit for good music". I can't count the times I've read an interview with EC, and he'll rattle off some names or albums, and it's led me down a new road. When he gets a sympathetic, like-minded interviewer, reading his responses can be like browsing through a record store.

Jskoda, DeeThomaz and chickendinna like this.
  10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Spectacle: Elvis Costello with... was/is a brilliant show and easily one of the, if not the, greatest music-related shows of all-time.

Tombby, oh1, ConnieGuitar and 5 others like this.
  11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

It was definitely Elvis who turned me on to Jesse Winchester.

12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

A great cover shot to a great book:
    Taking Aim: Unforgettable Rock 'n' Roll Photographs - Graham Nash.
    [​IMG]
    Elvis Costello on tour in Amsterdam, The Netherlands,
    1977. Photo by Anton Corbijn.

Al_D likes this.
  13. DeeThomaz

And the finest moment that night (indeed the entire show) was all Jesse. Not often do you see EC left speechless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKGWpqnS8E

drivingfrog and RayS like this.
  14. DeeThomaz

Couldn't agree more!

One great starting point on that end is the article EC's wrote for VanityFair where he assembled a list of his top 500 (!) albums. There is a lifetime of great listening to be found in it (though he severely underestimates the relative value of his own work):

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2000/11/elvis-costello-500-favorite-albums

GetHappy!! likes this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The one thing that sticks with me about Elvis is how he his voice has improved over the years. He seems to have realized, some way down the line, that the voice is an instrument, and he has honed his own into something great. I'm probably way off the wall here, but I get the impression that it's taken a conscious effort for him, and that he's worked hard on it. All to great effect.

Musically he's also just gotten better and better, allowing inlouences to b more prevalent, as though he's happy to be a musician playing music, rather than Elvis Costello playing music, if that makes any sense. For me he's one of the few artists who started out with some monster albums that probably should have defined his career - but somehow he managed to have alter periods that may not tweak the nostalgia bump, but are nonetheless probably better. Such a great artist, even if his last album still leaves me scratching my head.

16. GetHappy!!

And the follow-up article from 2002 - http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Vanity_Fair,_November_2002

DeeThomaz likes this.
  17. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

If this is the new catch-all thread for Elvis, I'd like to ask this - why is "Watch Your Step" so popular? I like the tune, but it sounds identical to "Secondary Modern" (to the point that it confused my father, who loves his first four albums but hadn't heard much beyond that), and it doesn't really scream 'hit' to me the way "Clubland" does. Again, I love the song, but I don't get why it's singled out as one of the seminal tracks from the album. When I first heard Trust I thought they had accidentally duplicated "Secondary Modern".

Thwacko likes this.
  18. DeeThomaz

I'd totally forgotten about that piece. So good. Love the line "dogs fear human tears nearly as much as lightning" and his description of Tom Waits' Alice as a "masterpiece of dark mirrors and frozen earth."

Ever notice this guy has a way with words?

19. GetHappy!!

I'm basically going to be devoting most of the autumn to reading the new autobiography...again...and again...and...

As an aside, Elton John was so hurt that he wasn't on the 500 best list, that EC made sure to single him out with Tumbleweed Connection in the 2002 piece. I believe they became chummy through Diana Krall, which would explain why their wedding took place at Elton's castle.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  20. dee

dee Senior Member

Agreed and well said!

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Sometimes I read lyrics but mostly I don't. That math doesn't really add up lol but anyway it's like I have read lyrics before and been like it sounded better to me than when reading it or I thought it was one way that I liked and found it something else I didn't lol so with Country Darkness I imagined hearing "unfaithful knave" :) which I guess is a double negative? but sounds more bitter to me when sung in the song. Now I know its wrong lol but thats okay :) as I still love that song.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  22. DeeThomaz

We now have an answer, and it is indeed "some." Not much, though:

Disc: 1
    1. Accidents Will Happen
    2. Poison Moon
    3. Watching The Detectives
    4. Oliver's Army
    5. Riot Act
    6. New Lace Sleeves
    7. Man Out Of Time
    8. I Want You
    9. When I Was Cruel No.2
    10. Stranger In The House
    11. Beyond Belief
    12. Home Truth
    13. Indoor Fireworks
    14. Shipbuilding
    15. Cinco Minutos Con Vos
    16. Bedlam
    17. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
    18. Ascension Day
    19. Red Cotton

Disc: 2
    1. Veronica [demo]
    2. In The Darkest Place
    3. I Want To Vanish
    4. My Dark Life
    5. The Other Side Of Summer
    6. London's Brilliant Parade
    7. Ghost Train
    8. Suit Of Lights
    9. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
    10. The Birds Will Still Be Singing
    11. Wise Up Ghost
    12. Almost Blue
    13. All The Rage
    14. Couldn't Call It Unexpected No. 4
    15. Alison
    16. My Three Sons
    17. I'm In The Mood Again
    18. April 5th
    19. I Can't Turn It Off

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    TheiPodAvenger and GetHappy!! like this.
  23. DeeThomaz

The unreleased tracks are the last two. "April 5th" is a collaboration with Rosanne Cash and Kris Kristofferson. The other is a very early solo recording that was partially heard in the recent Mystery Dance documentary.

April 5th you can hear on Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/rosannecash/02-april-5th-with-elvis

RayS and dee like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

Although I'm disappointed it's so light on true rarities, I have to tip my hat to this compilation. It looks like a superb overview even if shies away (somewhat) from the hits. Nothing from This Year's Model, remarkably.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  25. dee

dee Senior Member

An eclectic musical collection!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.