The Beatles: 'If they'd never taken drugs'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chrischrischris, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

In 2015, are you sure about that? On these forums maybe, but out there in the real world, no way.

starduster likes this.
  2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Seriously these threads do not bother me at all. It just suprises me that some Beatles fans can be so gullible as to actually believe they are serious and not just parody threads.
    Come on, there are tons of Beatles threads on here, the parody ones are funny, but easy to spot, even for a non Beatles obsessive.

3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Yes - way. I have only been here since last October, but I have been aware of this out in what you call "the real world" practically forever. Even if I had never discovered the SHF, I would still be seeing the Beatles influence. There are still endless books on them, newspaper articles, etc. They are part of the culture, the name pops up on TV and elsewhere.

Recently I went into my record store and someone had brought in a complete collection of MOJO magazines. These all date from the 2000's and the 2010's. Of course, I immediately scoured through a hundred or so issues to pick out the Beatles covers... and it came as no surprise that The Beatles are featured on more covers and articles than any other group or solo artist. There were several with The Stones and Bob Dylan, too -- but for the most part, it was all Beatles, nearly all the time. And of course, whatever "new groups" were getting their 15 minutes of fame spotlight for a given month.

4. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Like I said, if that's the case with this thread, then the joke is on the OP. Because there ARE serious areas of discussion and answers as to what The Beatles' music (and themselves) would have been like, had they never experimented with drugs.

5. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I love the Beatles. Bought the mono box. Just sayin.

6. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Fair enough, but let's be honest, on here there are serious areas of discussion on anything Beatles, from their mustaches to their individual heights to when they stopped smoking cigarettes. All of these things have been threads over the previous months. I honestly think that many of them are parody threads.
    But hey, if they make you happy .

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it would have been called "sally in the hills with apples"

theMess likes this.
  8. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Beatles were taking amphetamines from the early days in Hamburg, so, really, I think it is very hard to imagine how things would have turned out otherwise...

vonwegen, theMess and nikh33 like this.
  9. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

CD or vinyl?;)

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Both, those temerature controlled apartments that Yoko owns in the Dakota building just to store her collection of furs do not come cheap.:)

11. RBtl

RBtl Forum Resident

I Am The Chap With the (Rather Dashing, If I Do Say So Myself) Walrus Moustache

12. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Some possible benefits:
    1) No Yoko
    2) No Magical Mystery Tour
    3) Beatles reunion in 1972 or so

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"I don't care what they say,
    I won't stay,
    in a world without "Rubber Soul""

Jimi Bat and theMess like this.
  14. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

You do realize that MOJO's primary focus since day 1 has been classic rock, with only minor lip service paid to current music...don't you?

15. Cheepnik

So you'd like to see the same level of restraint from others in Beatles threads that you're notorious for not showing in threads about current music. I see.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I have not gone into threads only to ask: "why is there another thread about this??" (Which is what I am referring to that other have done with The Beatles). Please show me a post where I have complained that there are too many threads on a particular artist, and at the same time bothered to poke in anyway.

Many of those magazine covers have highlighted "recent" artists, too.

But does it change anything if MOJO only covered classic rock anyway? No, because if The Beatles weren't still the most noteworthy, then most issues would not feature them so prominently at all in these times. Nobody would be interested, and MOJO would stop featuring them. There are more Beatles covers than for any other artist, both old and new.
    Anyway, here is a quote from Wikipedia about the magazine:

>>While some criticise it for its frequent coverage of classic rock acts such as the Beatles and Bob Dylan, it has nevertheless featured many newer and "left-field" acts. It was the first mainstream magazine in the UK to focus on the White Stripes, whom it has covered as zealously as many older acts.<<

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  17. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Followed by the Rolling Stones and Their Heavenly Majesties Request.

sons of nothing likes this.
  18. Cheepnik

No, you don't do that. You just crap all over whatever's being talked about without asking anything. I guess you see that as more virtuous than wondering why another Beatles thread is necessary.

Clarkophile likes this.
  19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Sorry if that's your impression. It's not my intent though, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

But may I ask what it is you are doing right here, and in other threads ...?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Do all the 'bennies' during the Hamburg days count???
    "Here! Take these, and you'll be up all night, and we were up there, frothing at the mouth!"

21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

How about that---he did an autopsy on himself even before he was gone! Those Beatles could do anything.

bob60 likes this.
  22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

They put out different covers for the US issues than for the UK issues. The Americans get the Beatles constantly; the Brits get to look at Paul Weller a lot or some Britpop flavor of the month.

23. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I did some research. I think they were brown in the back and yellow in the front.

buzzzx and bob60 like this.
  24. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Tomorrow...

would've known.

25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Cool, thanks for sharing.
    These "Ringo Remembers" clips from The Peter Serafinowicz show are very good too...

chrischrischris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.