New Partridge Family Playlist CD mastered by Vic Anesini

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No. The group had top songwriters and session musicians on their recordings. That fact is not in dispute.

Hep Alien, Grant and Jrr like this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Because the music transcended the original limited 8-15 year old crowd which they marketed to.

The recordings seem to sound better than ever with each new remaster.

But I guess it's kind of weird that guys in their late 40s would still be listening to the Partridges. The Monkees are not far from the same type of thing. It's the quality of the music, pretty simple.

Jrr likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup. The Wrecking Crew did the music, and they used good song writers. I have good copies of all their vinyl albums. They were recorded well and there are good songs on all the albums up to Notebook. So, some people might laugh but they are supposed to be good based on all the talent involved. It is very good pop music and at 54 I still listen to them from time to time.

Grant and McLover like this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm wondering if there are better album masters than what Razor & Tie had to work with on the original CD releases from around 1993. Those sound good but there might be even better sounding tapes that are Unmastered un-EQd. Seems the "Could it be Forever" has nicer sound quality.

Wish that they would do a box set.

Hep Alien and BeatleStair like this.
  5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm in for a box set, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Cassidy has always been the holdout.

Darryl

BeatleStair likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well, he hit rock bottom recently, not to dwell on his misfortune but I would expect a brand new attitude out of him about now. But I didn't know he had issues with reissues, it must have been them wanting to issue new things and pay nothing for them. That I can understand. I think he sued Sony over merch percentages, like he got a $67.00 check for the year on PF stuff, which is insulting. He may have lost that one too.

7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Really? You'd think he'd get it that this is his legacy in music whether he likes it or not. Maybe he's lightened up about it then because they re-released a bunch of Partridge Family twofers and David Cassidy CDs a year or two ago in the UK.

8. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

I've always wondered that too. The Razor and Tie sound good though, better then the later reissues which are a tad too loud.

I'll have to check again to see how many unreleased Partridge tunes are known to be left in the can. Enough for a nice double CD. If no box set then a double CD version of "The World of The Partridge Family" compilation with the unreleased tracks added would be very nice indeed!

9. BeatleStair

"The World of The Partridge Family" 2 CD set (or 1 CD if it all fits) with a track listing something like this (below) mastered by Vic:

"I Think I Love You"
    "Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque"
    "She’d Rather Have the Rain"
    "I Really Want to Know You”
    “All of the Things”
    “Listen to the Sound”
    "It’s One of Those Nights"
    "Doesn't Somebody Want to Be Wanted"
    "Hello, Hello"
    "I Was Running The Opposite Way"
    "I Can Feel Your Heartbeat"
    "Echo Valley 2-6809"
    "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" (new stereo mix)
    “It’s Time I Knew You Better”
    "I'll Meet You Halfway"
    "Oh No Not My Baby"
    “God Bless You Girl”
    “I'm Into Something Good”
    "Brown Eyes"
    "Walking in the Rain"
    “Me Loving You” (from Notebook sessions)
    “Sunshine Eyes”
    "Only a Moment Ago"
    "I Woke Up In Love This Morning"
    “Workin' On A Groovy Thing”
    “A Secret In My Heart”
    "Friend and a Lover"
    “Crying In The Rain”
    “I Wanna Be With You”
    "Am I Losing You"
    "Roller Coaster"
    "Looking Through the Eyes of Love"
    “When Love Is Talked About”

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I finally saw the "Playlist" CD for the very first time, the other day at "Books-A-Million". Since I have the other Vic Anesini mastered comp, I couldn't justify the $7.99 plus tax price, just for that one lone mix of "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do". My deepest apologies to Neil Sedaka, of whom I'm a fan of, as he was probably about to check his mailbox for his latest "royalty" check!

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I see one thing lacking here. Needs to be a place for "Morning Rider On The Road" somewhere. The arrangement and melody earns it a spot. One of the three best tracks on "Up To Date". Which is my favorite of the Partridge Family LP output. Listened to that on 8 track a lot in the Short Bus which my special needs school which covered the Blount County students on my way to my Grandmother's house. That bus had an 8 Track, a friend of mine and the driver installed it and he regularly gave her tapes for the deck.

12. BeatleStair

I'm game, love that song too!

13. BeatleStair

Revised song list for "The World of The Partridge Family" - added "Morning Rider" plus two more of my favorites:

"I Think I Love You"
    "Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque"
    "She’d Rather Have the Rain"
    “Morning Rider on the Road”
    "I Really Want to Know You”
    “All of the Things”
    “Listen to the Sound”
    "It’s One of Those Nights"
    "Doesn't Somebody Want to Be Wanted"
    "Hello, Hello"
    "I Was Running The Opposite Way"
    "I Can Feel Your Heartbeat"
    "Echo Valley 2-6809"
    “I’m On My Way Back Home”
    "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" (new stereo mix)
    “It’s Time I Knew You Better”
    "I'll Meet You Halfway"
    "Oh No Not My Baby"
    “God Bless You Girl”
    “I'm Into Something Good”
    "Brown Eyes"
    "Walking in the Rain"
    “Me Loving You” (from Notebook sessions)
    “Sunshine Eyes”
    "Only a Moment Ago"
    "I Woke Up In Love This Morning"
    “Workin' On A Groovy Thing”
    “A Secret In My Heart”
    "Friend and a Lover"
    “Crying In The Rain”
    “I Wanna Be With You”
    "Am I Losing You"
    "Roller Coaster"
    "Looking Through the Eyes of Love"
    “When Love Is Talked About”
    "Where Do We Go from Here"

McLover and Hep Alien like this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

David Cassidy is very cool with the Partridge Family material. He, and Danny Bonaduce prod Susan Dey into lightening up, as it is really she who wants no part of that legacy.

The problems Cassidy has is with the money.

15. BeatleStair

Plus one additional change for the imaginary "World of the Partridge Family" CD set above - mastered by Steve Hoffman and put out by Audio Fidelity. If you're going to dream, dream big lol.

McLover and Jrr like this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The "Come On Get Happy" comp, mastered by Vic Anesini about a decade ago, introduced two or three previously unreleased songs, including "Havin' A Ball", which was actually by The Cowsills.

Jrr likes this.
  17. BeatleStair

Those are fun too. But since they've already come out, I'd love to see the other unreleased tracks see the light of day.

Jrr and Grant like this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Some or all were issued before the Razor issues, which people here don't seem to like that much. If you have a vinyl rig, imo that is the way to go. Finding clean copies is very challenging as I presume it was mainky kids playing these on all in turntables with 8 gram tracking, like I did! Also, Bell used really awful quality vinyl but some did get pressed nicely. Eventually I did find great copies all the way to Notebook. Sound Magazine is excellent, as is the first one, but they were all recorded well. A box set? Well, I have seen more obscure stuff released! Who knows. My guess is you can probably pick them up for next to nothing on ebay.

McLover likes this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Didn't know World was issued on CD, or mastered by our host! Thanks a lot....now I have to seek it out! I have it on vinyl...it indeed is an excellent over view of their music and would likely be adequate for most fans. It is hard to find on vinyl, but I have two though neither are in great shape.

20. BeatleStair

It's not, it's just a daydream exercise. I was just trying to think of a compilation to release and add some of the unreleased Partridge songs like an expanded version of the earlier Vic mastered disc.

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Cassidy was blocking the release of the unissued songs.
    The release of the studio albums was never a problem because he already signed off on those.
    IIRC, the problems with Cassidy allowing the unissued tracks to be released goes back to the '90s.
    Apparently Cassidy wanted a lot more money than Arista was offering him.

Darryl

Grant and Pizza like this.
  22. Pizza

How can you leave Summer Days off? That song would have made a great single.

Grant, Jrr and BeatleStair like this.
  23. Pizza

That's interesting. I always thought it was the labels that had no interest in releasing the unreleased tracks.

24. BeatleStair

Interesting. He must have put a clause in the contract about unreleased material when he redid his deal after they figured out he wasn't 21 when he signed his original contract. Not many other Screen Gems artists have that luxury.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow...no Summer Days? My favorite!

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.