What is the worst live show you have attended?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JMT, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Read these posts, for crying out loud! Classic examples of people who buy tickets to concerts hoping to have a bad time so they can complain about it afterwards.

Love,
    Billy

Dusty Sommers likes this.
  2. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Saw a few "corporate rock" bands in the late 70s that totally cured me of ever wanting to listen to those bands ever again. The shows were slick, professionally played and the sound was good. And they were utterly without any soul.
    The main culprits were Foreigner, Toto, and Styx.

tedhead and George Blair like this.
  3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

neil's tour a couple of years ago was nothing different than what he's been doing for the last 25 years. maybe you're just not a fan of electric neil.

noyoucmon likes this.
  4. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Saw trip-hop artist Tricky at the Electric Factory in Philly, I think after his second album was out int he early 90's. He played about 3-4 songs then told everyone the sound wasn't good enough and the show was over. Walked off and that was it. Totally lame and I was big fan at the time.

Beamish13 likes this.
  5. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

If I'm counting real artists and not amateur opening acts, it's a real close call between an obnoxious Hole show in July 2010 and Cat Power falling apart at the seams in November 2013. Both in Chicago.

6. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Saw them both that same year and they were two of my favorite shows in recent memory.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. llama

llama Forum Resident

Well, I was born in 1968. My earliest memories in life involve music. I can honestly say I have listened to Neil's music in varying forms my whole life, since my first cognitive memories of music and the radio. I think I know what kind of fan I am. If thats what he has been doing for the past 25 years, its not worth the price of admission...TO ME, and thats the only person I am speaking for. My brother who was right there next to me loved it, and the Boston stop 2 nights before.

8. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

We're practically the same age. To each his own.

9. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Vince Gill (I don't remember what year it was or where). While undoubtedly talented the show was so boring I just lost interest and left.

Atmospheric and Pinknik like this.
  10. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Disclaimer: this is probably more about my reaction to these concerts than the artists' performance. You can easily argue that all of them did exactly what they were advertised as doing, and I'm sure many people had a great time at each of them...

I love Sharon Jones, but the last time we saw her and the Dap-Kings (a year or two ago during a 4-night stand at the Fillmore), there was too much goofing around, and not enough actual songs being played. The same "dancing contest" schtick (with at least one participant we recognized from a show a couple of years earlier) and not enough recognizable songs from their albums. Love the energy, but really can't stand the "audience participation" stuff in any concert. Anyhow, we walked out about halfway through after recognizing less than half the tunes (and I have all of their albums).

A good friend totally loves Queensryche so I've been dragged to a handful of their shows over the years. That's always a long night, but I attribute that to me not being into the band, specifically Geoff Tate.

Passion Pit a couple of years ago at the Bill Graham Civic was a borefest. Lead singer just paced back and forth while staring at his feet. Reminded me of some random guy walking down the street trying to think through some problems through out loud.

Pete Yorn's recent solo acoustic show at City Winery was sleep-inducing, too. My wife, who's a big fan, suggested we leave early. No argument from me.

But the worst of the bunch was probably Sammy Hagar, headlining the local butt-rock station's annual show at Shoreline Amphitheatre. Scorpions were the opening act, and even though every song is played in the same key these days, at least they were energetic and fun. Then Hagar gets on the stage following a 5-10 minute video montage of him promoting his stupid "brand" by showing him do douchey activities like hanging out on the beach with Jimmy Buffett, partying at his lame bar in Cabo, etc. You get the drift. Then, he comes out on stage wearing a white t-shirt, white clown pants and red clown shoes, looking like a, well, beach clown. Second song into the set, he lays into "You Gotta Fight for Your Right to Party" and my buddies and I looked at each other, nodded, and headed for the exits.

Bryan Harris and Fullbug like this.
  11. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I never really saw a bad show but I remember seeing Rod Stewart 1975, Roosevelt stadium Jersey City NJ, he was really drunk and stoned.
    Bob Dylan & Van Morrison NYC 1998, I really wanted to like Van but it wasn't really that great, Dylan was good not great but just good...:)

12. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Mine would be Power Station at Riverbend in Cincinnati August 1985 I believe. I liked the album with Robert Palmer ok, but I got suckered into actually going to the show by my gf and her friend. By this time, they had Michael Des Barres on vocals, and he was absolutely terrible. His voice was so far removed from Robert Palmer's that I still shake my head today at the bands choice of Des Barres as a replacement. He just plain sucked! The crowd was completely insane of course, and continually pelted the stage with cups of beer, hot dogs, panties, bra's and anything else they could throw.

The lowest point of the show, was when John Taylor was hit smack in the chest with a full cup of beer. He was clearly pissed, and rightfully so. He walked behind the mains, and barely showed himself thereafter, and you could hear through his playing that he had had enough. The music just fell flat. Between Des Barres howling, and the crowd of lunatics, causing Taylor to check out, it was an pretty crappy event.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  13. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I'm curious, you were a fan of Neil Young for so many years,why did you wait so long to see him live? A quick visit to Youtube usually gets you a decent idea of what someone's playing these days.

14. llama

llama Forum Resident

The poll is "What is the worst live show you attended", not "Justify your opinions to others who are presumptuous" but anyway I will address your question. I like music by Neil Young in its various incarnations. CSNY, Crazy Horse etc. I have been exposed to it my entire life. I have covered their music in bands. Rocked cranky kids to sleep with his music etc. I am not a hardcore zealot, I just like Neil Young. Never enough to buy a ticket until my brother told me it was the last shot at seeing Crazy Horse and i may want to go. So I bought a ticket. I then regretted that purchase. There's really not much to it.

15. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Wasn't presumptuous, just curious, thanks much for the reply.

llama likes this.
  16. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

My very first concert was Steppenwolf in 1970 with Tony Joe White opening. Both of them did great sets that night. A lot depends on what kind of day they're having on the road.

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Was that the show at Bill Graham Civic where Sonic Youth opened for them? I went more for Sonic Youth than Pearl Jam, but agree that Pearl Jam were really boring. I had seen them a few times at the Bridge and they were always good in that context (45 minute or so sets full of songs generally selected for broad appeal) but that Civic Center show was full of songs I didn't recognize that their hardcore fans seemed excited about, but didn't do much for casual fans like me (my wife felt the same). After 2 hours when they finally got to some classics, it got better, but it was the most bored I've been at a live show in ages.

18. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I was trying to think of my worst concert and your post reminded me that I saw Willie Nelson in Toronto at the Sky Dome.
    I am thinking 1989/1990.
    The most boring, uninspired show I have ever seen.
    Glen

19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Very few outright bad shows. I have seen some dreary, off night jamband shows, which are no good, but the main crap show I have seen that comes to mind was The Wallflowers and Counting Crows. Wallflowers played, and they were ok i guess. This was when their one hit was still a big hit, and there were probably more people there to see them than Counting Crows who were the headliners. I ran into an old friend on the set break and ended up slightly dosed by the time Counting Crows came on, and they were pretty terrible. Not the band, it was the singer, the deadlock guy. I was kind of appalled, it was just so schlocked out and all schtick, rocking out on top of the piano and whatever else. Hated it completely.

Pinknik likes this.
  20. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Hate to say it, but Bob Dylan was pretty terrible in 1989.
    He was much better in 2013.

21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Wow, I'd be surprised if I missed Sonic Youth, but I suppose it's possible. I would have made it a point to see the opening act if they in fact opened, but I guess it's possible that I spaced it somehow. I was with my girlfriend at the time and her sister, and they were the Eddie V. fans, so I doubt I was in charge of the where and when that night. I just checked wikipedia, and the show I went to was either July 15, 16 or 18 2006.

But yeah, a totally boring show until they played songs I recognized. But again, I'm not a fan. That was my first show at BGCA, but any taint has since been eradicated by all the good shows I've seen there since. :)

I feel compelled to add that when I was told I was going to Pearl Jam (ho, ho) I went out and bought the latest album (the avocado one) for her, and gave it two listens anyway, and both of us were nonplused with it. Truth be told, I think she had a celebrity crush on Eddie Vedder, and that's why we went. But maybe that was just a bad album and tour.

22. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Three words: Bentley Rhythm Ace. Probably '96 or '97. Bad NYC venue. Hideous PA. Band of marginal talent, on a good night, but this was a bad one. Oh, baby, did I want out of there after the second song! Still leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Brrrr.

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Same run of shows with Sonic Youth opening, definitely. If I recall correctly that was right after Mark Ibold from Pavement became a member. I went to the 7/16 show, which is the night that they brought out the Avengers for one of the encores. I remember Eddie V with his bottle of wine, but suspect he probably had one at all those shows.

24. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The Guess Who in 1972. Sailcat opened the show and played a great set. And actually, the Guess Who were in top form musically, but Burton Cummings ruined the experience. He was in a foul (and foul-mouthed) mood and took it out on the audience.

Little Richard in 1998, headlining an oldies package show. I would never belittle the historical importance or profound and lasting influence of Little Richard, but by this time, he had basically turned into a cartoon of himself. He played fragments of songs, would stop the band in mid-song to admonish the camera man to keep the spotlight on him and not on the band, he did a lot of cover songs to which he didn't know the words, and overdid the "Shut Up!" schtick. People were leaving in droves in the middle of his set. Johnny Rivers had gone on just before him and gave a much better performance.

25. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Wow, I paid to see Sonic Youth and didn't even know it. And I've never seen them, and now never will!. Unless Thurston and Kim become pals and reform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.