Magnepan .7's opinions ? & Power source ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tubesax, Sep 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tubesax

tubesax New Member Thread Starter

I'm thinking of ordering a pair of the 7's . I was able to audition the 7's but not able to compare to mmg's
    or the 1.7's
    The 7's seem to fit my room size [17' x 15' - with an open side - low ceiling -7ft] They did sound wonderful
    at the time I heard them. The amp used was a bigger than I would be using , wondering how that will affect
    sonics . [ parasound a21 used , i own a23 ]

Any feed back or advice is welcome .
    I was thinking of getting mmg's direct & much less$$ - upgrade down the line ??

2. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

The MMG's are popular but I don't care for them. I consider them more a novelty than a serious speaker.

The .7 (which I own) is a much better speaker... it's a big improvement over the MMG.

The .7's are a wonderful speaker but like all maggies they are not that good at low volumes. Yes, you have to crank them up a bit to get them to 'come alive'. Your A23 should be fine but don't go crazy with the volume or you will clip it into them.

I prefer the .7's to the 1.7's unless you're in a really large room. The 1.7 need LOTS of room to breathe.

muddy810 likes this.
  3. tubesax

Thanks! Appreciate you input ... I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the 7's .
    I thought they were great albeit in a showroom set up with optimum
    conditions & electronics
    I brought some music I'm familiar with - Jazz / female vocals & it was sweet!
    I'll certainly give my a23 a shot. I have a Rogue cronos mag int amp I could
    change to 4 ohm & try
    1.7's were sold off , they're waiting for the 1.7 i's - too large for my room as well
    7's seem like a great size for me -- hate to pay full retail !
    What base did you get ?

4. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I believe the .7's are the replacement for the MG12. I owned MMG's and MG12's and agree with what was previously posted here. No comparison. The MG12's made the MMG's sound like toys by comparison. I also preferred the 12's to 1.6's.

5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I'm using the stock base. The last thing these need is to be taller.

But one thing I cannot recommend strongly enough is get rid of that POS metal jumper. Analysis Plus will make you a pair of jumpers to replace it - it is an amazing improvement. Go to their webpage and check out their jumpers. Cut the price in half because their standard set is four jumpers and you'll only need two, one for each speaker.

If you don't have a local analysis plus dealer call Alan at http://audiowaveshifi.com/index.htm

I ordered mine from Alan Monday, analysis plus made and shipped them right away and I got them today. Terrific service.

Is the Cronus the original with EL34's or the Magnum with KT120's? Rogue is great on Magnepans, I'm using the Hydra amp on mine.

6. tubesax

I called a local dealer. They had a pair of 7s in stock reg base. Asked them to hold till I can pick up Tuesday.

Not sure what "jumpers "are ? I'll check it out ,thanks for the tip.

I have the KT 120's. Think it's putting out 100w @ 8ohms. It's the same at 4 ohm ?

I just looked into getting some dust covers made for them .. Keep cat claws off

7. muddy810

muddy810 Forum Resident

I auditioned the Rogue Sphinx amp with the Maggie .7's. Must say, they did play well together. Bought the Sphinx and now have to save up for the .7's.

tiger roach likes this.
  8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Let me know what you're thinking about cat covers!

Would this be a fabric cover that goes over the speaker?

I just use a piece of black foam core as wide as the speaker and about 38" tall. I just lean them against the speakers when I'm not in the room.

9. tubesax

i have martin logan esl's that have a tin material that slips over like a sock
    just put in on over the top and pull down .
    I like the idea of the same for the magnepans .. keep the cat off speakers & keep dust out .
    can ama

10. tubesax

I could use a measurement ... The position of the speaker terminals back / bottom
    Inches from side & bottom
    I can have an opening made for cables Dust covers can be made by Studioslips.

11. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

The speaker terminals are to one side of the speakers. They are 6" tall and 7" wide (7" from the side of the speaker).

By all means let us know how this works out!

12. tubesax

Thanks. Will do

13. tubesax

Update I have the slips & they are great ! perfect fit & very well made

as for the .7's I'm still playing around with placement

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.