My experience with a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon TT

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BKphoto, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

That's a new one. I'm not even sure how that could be possible that your dust cover rubs against your records. On mine there's clearance of about a half inch on all three sides. Does it look to you as if it is seated properly?

2. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Yup, it's seated correctly. Saw it mentioned in another thread about the turntable on a different forum. for most records it's fine. At first I thought it was just the 180 gram discs, but I've also had the problem with some older disks like Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run. There's no where near half an inch clearance on mine. I'll take a photo when I'm home. As I said, it's not really a problem as I usually take the dust cover off anyway.

3. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

That is quite odd. I know that I've played my early pressing of Born to Run without a hitch in the past, and I always have the cover on when I play records unless they're 45 rpm.

4. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay Thread Starter

i never have the dustcover on when playing...its not actually on the hinges, i have little pieces of rubber at each corner so it stays on good when not in use

5. Better sound w cover off.

Trapper J likes this.
  6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Only because the motor makes the cover vibrate. With a speed box set to 33rpm I don't hear the least bit of difference.

7. Better sound without the cover. Even on high end tables. Search this site or anywhere else.

utahusker and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. BKphoto

most higher end tables don't even have a cover

utahusker, Dennis0675 and Mazzy like this.
  9. I helped a novice friend into vinyl recently and tried to sway him to a Rega RP1 but he got caught up in the online crap about speed so we went with the Project Debut Carbon. It's a still a nice entry level deck but I think the Rega is the better offering. The Project stock platter rings like a bell and the mat is without a doubt the cheapest piece of fabric to be called a mat that I've ever seen. I do like the higher model Projects, so I'm not bashing the line, I just feel this is not the best value at this price point.

And IMHO, any dust cover will act as a microphone for resonance if you leave it on during play. Maybe you won't notice it at low levels, or at all, but it's there.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. BKphoto

11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Well, I'm convinced. No, not really. Removing the cover may be important for more sensitive cartridges and high end speakers and turntable, but I don't hear a discernible difference at the price point for a Debut Carbon. Just because people say otherwise elsewhere on this site doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

12. BKphoto

wellallrightythen...

Trapper J and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If you say so but every TT I have had over the last 40 years sounded better with the cover open or removed. That's from a Garrard sp25 to a Gyrodec.

14. Pretty much this!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Taking the cover off during play is turntable 101. If you disagree, I respectfully say you are wrong.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. I learned this late. My friend kept suggesting I remove mine when I had my old Dual. It's a world of difference. I also made me plug my Amp directly in the wall outlet rather than via a power strip. That too was a nice improvement.

Slick Willie likes this.
  17. Dr Faustus

[​IMG]

I agree the table sounds better with the cover off. But I suppose every one hears differently. In any case, this is the best shot I could g et of how close the cover is to the vinyl. Not quite touching, but close.

18. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Maybe your table sounds different with the cover off because of your specific room acoustics. Mine doesn't. If it does then the difference is so minute, so subtle, that it simply isn't worth the chance of one of my cats jumping on it.

OcdMan and Dennis0675 like this.
  19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

:wiggle:

Mazzy and Dennis0675 like this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yep, a dust cover is an echo chamber.

21. BKphoto

hey Dr. "something aint right"...need a pic of the whole TT

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Dr Faustus

23. Dr Faustus

It's the joy of subjectivity methinks. Fortunately, my cat ignores the turntable or else that would be a worry. It might well be the room or the other equipment but, to me at least it sounds considerably better without the cover. So much so, that it is worth the effort to remove the cover when I'm using it. Problems usually come up with discussions like the when people want to make their subjective opinion objective fact. To you it doesn't sound any better and that's cool. To me it does. So let's listen to some more music however we like and have a drink of our own choosing (Southern Comfort for me tonight - and probably Patti Smith's Horses again). :cheers:

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If you get a chance, could you give measurements of the distances from the spindle to the edge of the plinth? I have a bunch that it's different than mine.

25. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Reading this thread with interest. Does the dust cover have to removed, or can it just be in the "up" position? Also, please elaborate on how having the amp plugged directly into the wall outlet makes a difference. I live in Houston, and while we might not be in the Florida category when it comes to lightning, we do get our share. Surge protectors are a necessary evil down here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.