Experience Hendrix - Live albums so far

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Hendrix was a bit inconsistent in this regard. Hey Baby and Midnight Lightning were tried at festival gigs and a lesser extent Hear My Train and Red House could be as quiet as WCM & LW.

I would think a 1970 crowd would rather hear an inspired Gypsy Eyes or Bold As Love over a phoned in Hey Joe or Foxy Lady

2. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Misissing is ...

The best:
    -Montery - one of the best shows EVER IMO

At least this is NOT the thread to demand the Black Gold Tapes.

_

I listen to all Dagger Releases besides "Fehmarn" ... this is terrible and gives me headaches.

The Clark University "concept" with adding the interviews is really cool. You hear that it´s backstage.

dino77 likes this.
  3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

This thread had me go back and revisit Isle Of Wight & Berkley. Particularly Machine Gun. Love the song! Like the different versions but it seems Buddy is a much more powerful drummer on the song than Mitch. No slight at Mitch at all because he was a great drummer but I prefer the BOG version with Buddy on drums.

telepicker97 and vegafleet like this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

For info - that Dagger album was released by Sony Legacy as a vinyl without the interviews:

[​IMG]

Piiijiii likes this.
  5. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

You'd think so. It's tempting to say Jimi was lazy about rehearsing, but it doesn't really roll with his workaholic approach in the studio, för example.

6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I have to respectfully disagree as I feel there is some great, great 1970 live material out there (happens to be my favorite Hendrix live period). L.A. Forum '70, Copenhagen '70, Norman '70, St. Paul '70 (although I'm admittedly biased about that one), Baltimore '70...I could go on. Although some shows lack that energy of the early Experience gigs, I think his guitar playing only got better over time and I love the addition of the Univibe to his live rig from Woodstock on. I guess it's more appropriate to say that I appreciate each distinctive live period for different reasons. '67 & '68 for it's early ferocity, '69 Jan/Feb tour for starting to really stretch out and jam live and then '70 for reasons I listed above.

jay.dee, old school, zphage and 2 others like this.
  7. Purple Jim

I don't really agree with that statement. So many recordings are out there from a very concentrated time-frame. Jimi was out there as singer/songwriter-lead/rythm guitarist-frontman - compare that with another artist of the time. Is there one? Johnny Winter? Not much of a songwriter. Neil Young perhaps (though he hadn't got his act fully together between 67-70). John Fogerty! Getting close. Anyway, if you listened to a concentration of gigs from the era, you would certainly come across the odd evening where the guy didn't perform his songs in a pristine fashion. However, it's not as if you are going to come across dozens of Creedence gigs from a four year period to complete the analysis.
    ANYWAY, a rock 'n' roll concert isn't about performing songs in a pristine album-like fashion! If that's what turns you on, go for Dire Straits or Pink Floyd. It's about performing and in Jimi's case, making those amps scream and wail, kicking ass and no holes barred. Out of tune? F**k it, into the next song, we're havin' fun. Amps f*cked? What the hell, take this!
    So it's very easy to listen and say, "oh, that was a little approximate", "he's out of tune". Once one starts that, one hasn't "got it" at all.
    Also, Jimi was out there doing it, without a thought about releasing the recordings (especially if the recording was through the soundboard or worse an audience microphone!).

8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Uh, of course Monterey should be in the very good section :whistle:.

9. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I’m finding your response to my post both confusing and unpersuasive. You begin by saying that you don’t agree with my post. Clear enough, no problem. But the first point that you make to elaborate on that is to suggest that we compare Hendrix with other musicians of the era who were also a “singer/songwriter-lead/rhythm guitarist-frontman”. At this point, I’m wondering where you’re going with this, because I’m not seeing a connection between your point and my post. Anyway, after briefly providing a few examples, you say that a listener “would certainly come across the odd evening where the guy didn't perform his songs in a pristine fashion”. Again, I’m wondering where you’re going with this, because I didn’t say that my problem with the majority of Hendrix’s performances is that they were not performed “in a pristine fashion”. Rather, I referred to performances that were “uninspired” or “subpar”. You then say that “a rock 'n' roll concert isn't about performing songs in a pristine album-like fashion”. I agree with that, and didn’t say otherwise. You then go on to suggest that playing “out of tune” is not something that a Hendrix fan should have a problem with, because it’s all part of the spirit of a Hendrix concert. I never said anything about playing out of tune. You then say that once a listener starts objecting to things such as a badly tuned guitar, the listener “hasn't ‘got it’ at all”. Maybe, maybe not, but I never said anything about playing out of tune. Finally, you say—presumably in defense of Hendrix’s less-than-stellar (read, “mediocre") performances—“Jimi was out there doing it, without a thought about releasing the recordings”. Well, sorry—and I say this as an ardent (not worshipful), longtime Hendrix fan—but that justification does not hold water. There are a few mitigating factors when considering Hendrix’s uninspired or subpar playing in concert, but that’s not one of them.

10. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

and when did the re issue purple box enter the equation?

dino77 likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

What's scary is that future DVDs of Cal Expo 1970 and Dallas 1970(no audience tape) could very well become realities in the future.

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Why is that scary :)? I don't many people (any? or outside of EH?) know what's even on the Cal Expo film or the quality of the Dallas tape. I'd love more unheard/seen 1970 stuff myself :righton:.

spinout66 and Jimi Bat like this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

Excellent thread Jim.
    An eye opener for sure, reading folks opinions on these releases is great and their reasoning even more so :)

Purple Jim likes this.
  14. Purple Jim

Sorry, I presumed that you were on about his tuning problems etc. when you talked about sub-par recordings. However I certainly don't agree with your statement:

Dozens and dozens of bootlegs show that to be totally untrue. Sound quality often leaves something to be desired but the recordings reveal Hendrix bubbling with ideas and playing brilliantly throughout his short career (apart from the few dismal things like some of the Band Of Gypsys at the Fillmore, Stockholm 69 1st set, MSG 70, Isle Of Wight, Aarhus,...).

15. SoundAdvice

Forgot to mention if there's more unseen Berkeley stuff.

Best case scenario for Dallas is B&W Fillmore quality and mono soundboard. On another Jimi forum they mentioned that the video has been located but McDermott balked at the asking price after viewing it. EH have paid big money for recordings they really wanted and same goes for Paul Allen.

16. SoundAdvice

To be fair, the stereotype could come from the shows officially released on video. Makes the lack of RAH hurt that much more.

17. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Hendrix was in excellent form during those summer 70 shows in Texas.
    I would love to see that Dallas tape.
    I know the San Antonio tape was upgraded a few years back but I have yet to hear it.
    What I really want is for a Houston 70 tape to pop up.
    I met someone a few years ago who saw the first 3 Hendrix shows in Houston.
    He said they were all really good but at that last Experience show in 69 Noel and Jimi looked like they wanted to kill each other.
    I tried to dig for more details of the show but he sais he just did not remember that much.

jhm likes this.
  18. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

One of my first vinyl was a selection of performances of Jimi Hendrix Experience in different concerts. "The Jimi Hendrix Concerts" was published by Reprise Records in 1982 / double album (Reprise Records - 9 22306-1)

Even what I have in perfect conditions, it was my first vinyl Hendrix in concert. This album is really good...

[​IMG]

Today with all the releases of Jimi Hendrix this is no longer an attractive album, but in those years for me it was a gem

19. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Sometimes when I read other peoples opinions on shows I kind of wish I could do a sort of Vulcan mind meld with them and then go listen to the whole collection just to get a new perspective on the whole thing.

20. Gordon Johnson

I try and bring an open mind to everything that's released. Bringing baggage to listening sessions defeats the whole object of an experience that is aimed at enjoyment!

Sure, we have to critique a release, be it by sound bites in a forum or by a review but it sure don't help if the review is overshadowed by baggage and endless negatives simply because one does not agree with the edits / selection/ mix / mastering etc.

So for me a Vulcan mind meld would be my worse nightmare, ha ha

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Can't say that I like listening to the burning guitar....

In fact, I wish he hadn't pulled that stunt and let the power of the music speak for itself.

22. Purple Jim

That was a much appreciated album at the time! I still pull it out for a spin from time to time.

telepicker97 and Gordon Johnson like this.
  23. Gordon Johnson

I wonder just how History would show Hendrix if he had not pulled that stunt on that stage? It is too iconic to contemplate, for me at least. Anyway, what would all those magazine covers have displayed down the years and the uninitiated have to discuss without this?

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. This was probably Alan Douglas' finest moment as curator of the Hendrix catalogue/archives.

skybluestoday and danielbravo like this.
  25. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I still hear it a lot, the version of Bleeding Heart is unique!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.