Simon & Garfunkel "The Complete Columbia Albums Collection" coming from Music On Vinyl (07/27/2015)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

What does that mean? I thought the inner sleeves were nice - and sturdy!

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's a lame joke in that many forum members use this phrase to complain about aspects of certain reissues. I have no doubt the inner sleeves are just fine.

Mazzy likes this.
  3. AppleCorp3

Haha okay - I'm still new here so bear with me :)

I was surprised to hear criticism of the sleeves as they are pretty thick plastic and I was impressed.

I have the U.S. version.

chacha likes this.
  4. kman

kman Forum Resident

Ok
    I am in on this box set
    Just ordered today
    These are the albums that my dad and I used to listen to in 60's
    Those records are beat to hell and back and after buying too many used rice crispy sounding versions the last couple of years it's time to get some good clean ones that sound great
    Too bad the old man is not around anymore to listen to these with me now

And I agree with the earlier comments that Bookends is one of the greatest albums ever made

5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I noticed that the Sounds of Silence album jacket uses the original uncensored "Tiger Beat" photo. Art Garfunkel looks like a surly punk, doesn't he. :D

6. Welcome. Just know that whenever I post this : :tiphat: after my comment, don't take whatever I wrote too seriously. I've pissed off a few folks in the past who didn't get my humorous intent.

And ignore any posts with waveforms or DR numbers. :tiphat: Listen with your own ears.

e.s. and AppleCorp3 like this.
  7. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

My Legacy version is on the way!

8. AppleCorp3

You won't be disappointed!

9. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

e.s. likes this.
  11. Good review. I totally agree and think the new box set it so close on an equal par to the originals. A bit better on some old ones and a bit better on some of the new ones. All depends which originals you have and the shape they are in.

This is a great set if you want nice sounding clean copies.

ted321, Millington and e.s. like this.
  12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Find Mikes reviews somewhat headscratchers at times. This this and that (many of the sonic characteristics being some of the most important) doesnt really match an original, but its still a great set. One can write all the words they want, but reading between the lines and adding up the obvious points me to the conclusion this aint no big deal of a set based upon that review.

econalan likes this.
  13. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

The review indicates that these reissues are sourced from the 24/96 files. Presumably these would be the same files that one could purchase from HD Tracks. Confusingly, you can also purchase the albums in 24/192 files.

It would be interesting to hear from people who have compared the high resolution files with the new vinyl reissues to determine if they are the same - obviously, this would be difficult given that the playback equipment would be different but the comparison would still be useful. I personally don't see the point in buying digitally sourced vinyl if one can purchase the same files directly for download. The only reason to do this would be if your vinyl setup was better than your digital setup.

14. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Without a mono bookends it is not complete. I won't be purchasing.

15. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

??

So it contains ALL of the studio albums in stereo but because it happens to omit one particular album in mono, it is not complete? Did you drink too much night nurse last night?

An all mono set of the albums up to Bookends would be nice, that is, if they can find the right tapes. But to dismiss a perfectly excellent 'set' that has all the studio output just because it doesn't include a mono copy of one album... o_O

16. only 6 people in the world own a Mono Bookends :tiphat:

Joey_Corleone, e.s. and white wolf like this.
  17. I have compared to the originals and this IS a very good set. Almost identical with pluses and minuses slightly on either side. Most folks into vinyl (yes there are exceptions) don't really do the high rez download thing. I have CDs and digital files too but I never compare to vinyl. I see it as a totally different experience.

18. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I have a needledrop of the mono Bookends. I like it a lot more than the stereo version.

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I love when people get upset about something based on personal expectations that have nothing to do with what is actually being sold. Expecting the mono Bookends in this set is like expecting the stereo Abbey Road and Let It Be in the Beatles mono box.

ted321, grandegi and JP Christian like this.
  20. I have a poster of the Mona Lisa :tiphat:

21. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

You need to get the Mono Lisa

22. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I have played through the set from the European pressing. Overall it is a really good set. There is a let down disc in my opinion, both in terms of sound and the European pressing quality and that is Bridge Over Troubled Water. When you hear the amazingly dynamic Bookends which was recorded earlier, and then swap to this disc, it seems much thinner and withdrawn in comparison. Aside from the sound quality of this disc, it is also the only one with pressing issues. I have tried two copies of this disc, and both had fairly loud repetitive clicks on the first track of Side 1 in exactly the same place.....and a very light but nevertheless noticeable non-fill issue at the start of side 2 (both discs exactly the same). This indicates an issue with the stamper itself for this disc. I suspect the RTI US pressing is just fine......

23. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

My BOTW in the EU MOV set is fine, flawless in fact.

24. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Same impression I got after reading his review.

25. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

May I ask what number your box set is...both are mine are quite high...one is late 800s and one is late 900s?

Not much I can do about it as I have tried two copies......it's not a complete spoiler, just a bit annoying as those are my two favourite tracks from that album!

The only disc that I found to be truly flawless is Bookends....the others have the odd tick here or there but overall an excellent pressing.

JP Christian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.