Phil Collins re-issue campaign starting in January 2016*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peteham, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Even as a more casual Phil Collins fan, the bonus tracks on "Face Value" are truly underwhelming. On one hand, I agree with some who say that demo versions can be dull and unrevealing but live versions are often an easy way out unless they are powerhouse performances or noteworthy for other reasons. And if what Mike V. says in his post is true (about Phil not doing "Misunderstanding" live before 2004), it seems a strange choice to include on an album released in 1981. Even though the time frame for the release of "Duke" fits, Phil's live version, if from 2004, doesn't. Maybe this is nitpicking but lots of fans are apparently not thrilled. Depending on price deals and the early buzz upon release, I still might take a chance on "Face Value" but time will tell.

2. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

I am disappointed for sure. Truth be told i am worried that the live tracks will simply be lifted from dvds and vhs that have been released through the years. If that's the case, i will just get the few demos digitally and that will be that. It could have been a lot more - not a lot to entice the hardcore Genesis and family fan.

Bob J likes this.
  3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

At the very least, he should have included the single mix (with additional drums) of "In The Air Tonight".

godslonelyman likes this.
  4. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Was the Toronto thing the super duper DVD we were promised? I think I watched it once. No idea where it is. Utter trash.
    After months of "wheres the DVD?" they hastily cobbled together that. A smack in the face.
    Then there was the interviews about opening the vaults and I remember Banks in particular being very much in favour of releasing them....years later, still nothing.
    Genesis are just not that motivated to doing anything with their unreleased stuff or with any side of marketing the band. Its all left to third parties with no connection to the band or their fans. We were all ripped off.
    I always remember Phils comment at the press conference for the 2007 tour. The question was asked about ticket prices and he replied that it wasnt up to them and he would think it would be "the going rate". Says it all.

5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

What they should've done is leave it be.
    I realize Phil probably does it for a personal reason, but imagine this for a minute; The Rolling Stones re-releasing their debut with a recent picture and current line-up...

6. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

The Toronto thing was audio of one of the rehearsal shows, and a download at that. A complete letdown, when the whole reason I joined was to get the working versions/works in progress CD of songs in various stages of production that we were promised. The DVD was the prior year I think. You're right, it was such trash, I don't even recall what was on it.

7. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

The Both Sides stuff was never released before for certain.

8. Dukes Travels

This says it all.
    To be honest, Davis is not the only ear shattering alarm bell in all this.
    The front cover gimmick for one. Seriously, what the hell is the point in redoing the covers as an old man? Leave the covers the way they were. If you want to revisit those poses, stick them at the back or as an extra booklet. What is the point being made? I don't get it.
    The rhetoric about bringing the music and visuals back into the public...or some bs.
    This usually means that the artist has handed the reins to an outside party to try and re-market the music and image to a contemporary audience.
    Which means the remasters will be smashed to hell.
    Rant over, passing until I hear the opinions of other posters.

RoyalScam likes this.
  9. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

well the audiofidelity isnt for mass consumption i guess and no way they do a reissue tod ay that isnt "special n updated" aka not using the old atlantic mastering if they can even find their copy, i mean yea the nick davis new ed. is gonna be way worse, but does phil really have a choice, nick davis they are familar with and stuff and they trust him n stuff, but yea the invisibl touch remaster is unlistenable

10. Dukes Travels

All of his remaster/remixes were unlistenable.
    I actually don't think they need remastered. Phils production was very polished and the originals sound great.
    No Jacket is a bit treble heavy, but that's the case with lots of 80's stuff.
    I have Steve Hoffmans remasters and they are damn near as good as you can get to my ears.
    The only thing that interests me about this project is the bonus material. And even those I have on CD singles and various compilations.

Carlox and krock2009 like this.
  11. Dukes Travels

Frankly its a head scratcher.
    I know he has said that Face Value was a close up of his face, so one could almost get inside his head.
    He's also said something like "you wouldn't put this face on a cover for aesthetic reasons"...which I take to mean, the music is the important part.
    With this new updated pic, is he saying, "heres an even worse picture you wouldn't put on a cover" :laugh:
    With the idea being, the music is even more important today. :shrug:

Lost In The Flood and krock2009 like this.
  12. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

So I guess the remaining releases will be:

"Hell, I Must Be Going", and "Dance Into The Light"

"But Seriously" and "Testify"

13. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

This might be a good excuse to buy some Phil Collins.

Disappointing tnat he's no longer making new music though.

14. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Well, as with Billy Joel, he's still alive so there's still a chance.

15. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Or even done a lenticular thing where the two photos change depending on which way you look at it.

ultron9, LivingForever and ptijerm like this.
  16. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Hello, I Must Be Going! + Dance into the Light
    No Jacket Required + Testify
    …But Seriously + Going Back

17. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Why "Going Back"? "Serious Hits Live" would have been a better choice.

18. Raf

Raf Senior Member

krock2009 likes this.
  19. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Amazon lists these Phil DE's as Dual Discs? Are these simply 2CD sets or those two-sided Dual Discs?

20. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

I will possibly try FV. Only if the sound is really good (which I doubt), I would go for the next three albums up to But Seriously.

21. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

You don't speak for everyone. Perhaps the majority on this forum (where I think people are possibly scared to post an alternative view!), but certainly not the case elsewhere on other forums I frequent, and also in my opinion.

Is his work as good as Steven Wilson? Perhaps not, in my opinion. Is it "unlistenable"? No, don't be daft, in my opinion. I have only one album amongst my 10k plus which is unlistenable on account of the way it's recorded (Rush, Vapor Trails).

22. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

I wouldn't go so far. Regarding the Genesis remixes: they aren't equally bad. I found myself liking Trespass, Nursery Cryme and the 1983 s/t. In contrast to that I would indeed label the remix of Duke as unlistenable. The rest is somewhere inbetween.

Furthermore Davis' remixes are only one part of the Genesis reissues. Maybe they would have been different (better?) without Tony Cousins' mastering and Banks' supervision.

That doesn't mean I have high expectations, but I wouldn't dismiss the reissues in advance just because of the name Nick Davis.

DiabloG, MikeVielhaber and anduandi like this.
  23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Maybe it isn't loud enough.

I would like to see what'll happen to that cover... :sigh:

24. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

I think the covers are quite a good idea :hide:

keiron99 likes this.
  25. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

I agree - but i also think he should of done what others say and maybe used a slipcase and used the original on the actual package inside....

Porkpie, sunking101, ARK and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.