CD + Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Capnjck, Sep 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

So cool we have someone young on the Forum...welcome! I have a question and I think a lot of us old folks are curious about this. I have three kids...14, 22 & 24. They dont "get" my obsession with vinyl, and their friends aren't into it either. But we keep hearing about all the younger people buying it. Do a lot of your friends really buy vinyl? It also seems a bit expensive with so many, shall we say, other ways you guys can get music. Just curious!

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow...vinyl only? Things have really changed! Glad to see it....not a fan of CD.

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup...that's the way they sometimes get me too. I bought the latest Amy Grant release thinking I would never see it on vinyl. Eight months later...vinyl! Now I have both.

4. Mike dk

Mike dk Forum Resident

I almost only buy vinyl and when I want to listen to an album in digital format I listen to needledrops of my vinyl albums :)

5. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

Well I don't have a lot of friends tbh, but the ones I do have think vinyl is fascinating but ultimately they don't buy CDs or vinyl, just digitally or such. :)
    And yes it is more expensive, and not nearly as convenient but I tend to listen to either digital FLAC/320kbps mp3 or on vinyl.

Man at C&A and Dino like this.
  6. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i generally only do this for the fall. being a semi completist of their's can be painful.

7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

CD rot ? Most of my cds are ¨bronzed¨ to different degrees on their label sides (those that have clear labels, that is), which is said to be the first step of it, but have started to look that way for over a decade now and still play flawlessly. Hell; even the '01 edition of Lou Reed's ¨Sally Can't Dance¨ I bought this year was slightly bronzed out of its sealed jewel box !!

8. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Happy to buy CDs as I was tired of warped or scratched LPs. And as for tapes...

ARK likes this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think a lot of us would tell you if we were really into music back when we were your age, we probably didn't have a ton of friends either! I sure didn't! It is kind of a geeky hobby, back when that maybe wasn't a good thing! But now it is more respectable so you live in a better time I think!

Thanks for the info about the friends you do have...lol! It is a fun hobby, and I'm jealous of all the awesome songs and artists you are going to discover on your music journey! You can only hear a song for the first time once, if that makes sense! Everyone here is eager and willing to answer any questions, so please let us know if we can ever help you! There are amazing people around here. Read about Steve Hoffman if you have not done so! He owns this site and has done some amazing things for those of us that love music. And there are many more here actively involved in the industry, all willing to answer questions. I have learned a ton here.

4stringking73 and Man at C&A like this.
  10. The Pinhead

Don't get me started on those !!!!:realmad:

11. The Pinhead

I had the one friend....who had a stereo rig too and loved music, of course. In time, most of my current friends I met at gigs, etc. Same with motorcycles, only those made me more popular among girls:D

Jrr likes this.
  12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I did for quite awhile. I found the vinyl to be of such poor quality that I stopped. Only CDs for me:cheers:

13. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

Yep, I used to be a lot more closed-minded about music but now I've opened up to music I probably would've never listened to or given a chance.
    And yeah this forum has helped me immensely on a lot of different things, right now I got 35$ and trying to decide whether I want an early 70s-mid 70s UK pressing of Abbey Road, or a late 70s US Abbey Road + an early 80s US Magical Mystery Tour. :confused:

14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What the heck are you doing to them?

15. The Pinhead

Nothing ! I baby them like you could not believe. But in time most develop a wavey pattern like this :

[​IMG]

16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Nope. More money and extra storage to deal with.

17. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

I originally had a large collection of vinyl which I lost in a fire years ago. I had already begun transitioning to CDs (which survived the fire, by the way) and began repurchasing my lost albums in that format. I totally respect and understand why some folks prefer vinyl over CD, but CD is my format of choice. I used to hate the surface noise, pops and clicks which occurred when playing a record; storage and stylus maintenance was another headache altogether. Of course, at the moment I am typing this I have thousands of CDs and absolutely no vinyl, so I guess I am rationalizing and justifying going all in on those shiny discs!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I do the same thing depending on the album at times I must have both formats.

19. deege3000

deege3000 Forum Resident

I'll buy a cd for the car, thinking I won't need it on vinyl. I'm often wrong.

20. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I only buy the vinyl if it's something I truly favor. I prefer the sound quality of records however everything else about them gets on my nerves. Records need to much of my attention and are a pain to store when I don't have the room to do so. CDs may not sound as good but they still sound great and require far less maintenance. I don't have to flip sides, and they rip easier to digital.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  21. Django

Django Forum Resident

Sometimes, but if the lp comes with a decent quality download I just burn it to a CDR.
    I have gone the other way, have an album on CD and get this idea that I need to have it on vinly as well.
    It will sound so much better on vinyl.
    Funny thing, there's rarely much of a difference.

22. I've never found CDs to scratch too easily or degrade. What the heck were you doing to,them?

Jimmy Agates, ARK and melstapler like this.
  23. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Sometimes I do just because there's a delay between the CD and vinyl release, and I don't want to wait the extra time before hearing the album. Sometimes I originally opt for just the CD, as it's cheaper, but then end up liking the album so much, I feel the need to have it on vinyl, too.

24. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Both are cool. Digital Downloads are not.:cheers:

melstapler likes this.
  25. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I've found most contemporaneous releases of CD and vinyl versions of albums to sound about the same, save for subtle differences in playback equipment. When I have something in both formats, it's usually a remastered CD and original vinyl, though in the case of favorite bands/albums I'm likely to have multiple versions, but definitely not the same 24/96 in different formats.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.