New Faces box due August 28

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Big Guy, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That book is well-done in general. I like how Neill went into detail about the pre-Faces band projects (like The Jeff Beck Group and The Small Faces) and even Rod's concurrent solo career. Highly recommended.

2. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

That's always annoyed me about Stewart; he couldn't be bothered turning up for all the sessions, then badmouths the album. For me, it's their best album - albeit brief - with 'A Nod' close behind. I'd love to hear both, I'm really missing them at the moment; both my CD player and TT have been down for around three months. I play 'Ooh La La' a LOT.

3. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

I operated the mouth and had to carefully put it back together. :nyah:

4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

My Faces playlists usually include a mix of Faces, Slim Chance, Rod's Mercury solo albums and also Wood's I've Got My Own Album to do. But making sure there's plenty of Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance.

Which takes me back to the liner notes for the Slim Chance 2cd You Never Can Tell BBC Sessions. The notes suggesting how the writers friends in the 70's used to make cassette tapes of Ronnie's Faces and Slim Chance songs specifically to listen to late night, post-pub whilst having a "smoke." His music would certainly fit that late night environment.

Really liking the cd boxset. I do still question why Open To Idea's wasn't included but that aside its great and I'm very happy with it. A great purchase.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They probably didn't want to include too many tracks from Five Guys set or people might feel it was redundant.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I burned this cdr of rarities from the new Faces box set as a companion for the Five Guys box set

Shake Shudder Shiver BBC
    Country Comforts BBC - from Rod Stewart Rarities
    Too Much Woman (For A Henpecked Man) - Live Fillmore
    Love In Vain - Live Fillmore
    Gasoline Alley - Live Fillmore - from Faces Stay With Me Anthology
    Miss Judy's Farm - BBC
    Stay With Me - BBC
    Cindy Incidentally - BBC
    Jealous Guy - Live Reading Festival
    Behind The Sun
    Mona - The Blues
    Flying - Take 3
    Nobody Knows - Take 2
    Whole Lotta Woman
    Sham-Mozzal
    Tell Everyone - Take 1
    Silicone Grown - Rehearsal
    Borstal Boys - Rehearsal
    Glad And Sorry - Rehearsal

Hep Alien, Pennywise, dee and 5 others like this.
  7. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

One of the best books I ever bought.

8. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

sorry, wasn't that their last album?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I ended up getting a replacement set from Bullmoose. Gotta say......couldn't stand the thought of not having all of this on vinyl, and the people at Bullmoose are just too darn nice and accommodating.

10. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Pretty unsurprising that not much post Ronnie Lane would end up on playlists ; only a couple of singles and a few out takes are available. No BBC sessions from that period either. Let's forget about Coast to Coast, they had brilliant and appalling nights throughout their whole career.

Having said that I do become a little surprised at the consensus negativity about the post Lane period. What on earth is wrong with Pool Hall Richard and You Can Make me do the ironing? The B sides were pretty darn good as well.

Sure I enjoy Lane's solo stuff but that is never what The Faces were all about, it was an element but only an element. Sad when he left but still a great band.

I wonder how many of the naysayers actually saw The Faces live post Lane.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Respectfully disagree. On record and live, he is exactly what the Faces were all about. The live early shows I saw at the Boston Tea Party were among the finest I have ever attended, and Ronnie was in the middle of it all, as it should have been. For me, the joyousness left when he did, which is apparently why he left his band in the first place.
    It went from raucous fun to Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, a big step.

Surferghost likes this.
  12. Jack

Jack Senior Member

If anyone still needs the vinyl box, Newbury Comics stores in New England are having a 25% off vinyl sale this weekend, in-stores only.

13. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Best of luck:righton:

Clanceman likes this.
  14. silvio

silvio Well-Known Member

Anybody know why "First Step" became "The First Step" in the CD box set?

15. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Respectfully, Do Ya Think I'm Sexy was 3 years after the Faces split, it was in no way, shape or form relevant to what the Faces were doing in their later period or to this discussion.

My observation included that both Wood and Mac took more of the limelight after Lane left. In late 74 Wood sang at least two numbers each night and Mac was a very prominent presence, it was not the Rod Stewart show.

The "joyousness" was certainly still evident in December 74.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I hated Rod Stewart in the Do Ya Think I'm Sexy era which was right when I was starting to get into music. I'm glad I eventually found his early solo albums, and now this box, to show me he was much more than that. IMO, he should have stayed with Faces like Mick stayed with the Stones. He has an iconic voice and look. I just don't think he floated it that well on his own.

duggan likes this.
  18. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Love take 1 of Tell Everyone with Ronnie Lane on vocals, with Rod joining on the last verse!

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. I don't think Mick could have ever accomplished what Rod did as a solo artist. Rod has that solo artist charm. Mick does not.

P. S. I'm not a Rod fanboy.

20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Rod had a history before Faces. He had his own identity. Mick on the other hand was with the Stones for his formative years. He grew up as a Rolling Stone. Rod Stewart grew up as Rod Stewart, a Rod Stewart with many attempts and starts and possible identities. And a Rod Stewart that depended on no one else.

But I think Mick does a better job of being a front man. Hell, Rod couldn't even remember he was in the band, and kept making solo albums! ;)

Hep Alien, duggan and violetvinyl like this.
  21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Who'd want to play with Jagger when he could play with Rod?
    Oh, yeah....

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Rhett and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here is another cdr I made that combines the singles bonus disc from the new set with some other Faces tracks that did not appear on the Faces regular studio albums.

My Way Of Giving - Rod Stewart
    You're My Girl ( I Don't Want To Discuss It) - Rod Stewart
    Rear Wheel Skid
    (I Know) I'm Losing You - Rod Stewart
    Maybe, I'm Amazed
    Oh Lord, I'm Browned Off
    True Blue - Rod Stewart
    Tonight's Number - Mahoney's Last Stand
    Skewiff (Mend The Fuse)
    Dishevelment Blues
    Oh!, No Not My Baby - Rod Stewart
    Jodie - Rod Stewart
    Pool Hall Richard
    I Wish It Would Rain
    You Can Make Me Dance, Sing Or Anything
    As Long As You Tell Him
    Open To Ideas - Good Boys When They're Asleep Best Of

23. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Re John's post above.

In some ways the first two tracks on his compilation show the Faces at their very best.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    dee and John Fell like this.
  24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Probably the same reason The Small Faces became The Faces for the same album!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.