Experience Hendrix - Live albums so far

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

and edited!

pool_of_tears and footlooseman like this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It might have freed him from playing the "hits" though, or having to be a showman.

All due respect to Clapton, Townshend, Keef.... nobody could play like Jimi. He didn't need the gimmick to stand out from that crowd.

dino77 and Tensilversaxes like this.
  3. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

sad, I heard for the first time with this vinyl

4. Gordon Johnson

see if you can find "Experience", CD. Nectar NTRCD 036. The performance of this song is complete on this official release.

footlooseman likes this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, it's awesome (first brought to us on the album "Experience - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" - Ember 1971).

6. Gordon Johnson

The quality varies between pressings. Hence the CD recommendation for this.
    That OST album was my introduction to this version of this song, still makes the hair stand up. This song alone is reason enough for an official release with a Kramer mix

7. Gordon Johnson

“EXPERIENCE” JIMI HENDRIX EMBER NR5057

OST UK ISSUE RELEASED 1971

ENTERTAINMENT INTERNATIONAL BUT EMBER. EMBER LABEL AND HEAVY WEIGHT VINYL

A: NR 5057 [HAND ETCHED A-1[upside down triangle] G AL]

B: NR 5057 [HAND ETCHED A-1[upside down triangle] G AH]

MACHINE STAMPED

“EXPERIENCE” JIMI HENDRIX EMBER NR5057

OST UK ISSUE RELEASED 1971

ENTERTAINMENT INTERNATIONAL BUT EMBER. EMBER LABEL AND HEAVY WEIGHT VINYL

A: LP+5057+A

B: LP+5057+B

MACHINE STAMPED

“EXPERIENCE” JIMI HENDRIX ENTERTAINMENT INTERNATIONAL SLDEI 782

OST US ISSUE RELEASED 1971 [MADE IN FRANCE]

RED LABEL.

A: SMS EI 264.30.1 [M.P.P.V. MACHINE STAMPED]

B: SMS EI 264.30.2 [M.P.P.V. MACHINE STAMPED]

HAND ETCHED

8. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Regarding San Antonio, guitar wizard Eric Johnson (then 16) and his future drummer, Tommy Taylor, were at that show. Both say it sucked, that Hendrix had an off night. Johnson also saw Hendrix in Texas in 1968, a performance he rated highly and described as psychedelic blues. I've not heard the San Antonio 1970 show. Are Johnson and Taylor correct in their assessment?
    Yes, a phenomenal performance.

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

After Noel left, the only earlier songs Jimi dusted off for the live show in next 18 months were Watchtower and maybe Stone Free. One would have thought with Cox being a better bass player than Noel one would think that Jimi would bust out some of the Axis/EL material with trickier parts.

Maybe Jimi was simply all about the post EL material and ONLY did the "required" Noel era stuff to get it over with and keep audience happy. Was Cox really a fan of the earlier albums and requested different songs?

10. SoundAdvice

Ted Nugent saw a couple 1970 shows and said some negative things.

11. GonnaGetcha

GonnaGetcha Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, what kind of research have you done to conclude that the majority of JH concert performances are uninspired or subpar. There's a wealth of material out there and what i've heard suggests the opposite. Recordings from 1968 such as Winterland (Feb), Milwaukee, Fillmore East, Davenport, Dallas, Ottawa, Montreal, Phoenix, Portland, Vancouver (!), all six Winterland sets (Oct); 1969 Copenhagen(!(Tax Free!!)), Frankfurt, Munster, Vienna, Oakland, Toronto, San Jose Pop; 1970 LA Forum, Berkeley, Copenhagen. To name a few. I would consider these performances among his finest captured, most others inspired, some uninspired and very few subpar. While for better or worse he always wore his feelings on his sleeve, using "uninspired" and "subpar" to define the majority of JH's performing legacy is arguably an uninformed opinion.

Has Experience Hendrix acknowledged 1969-10-01 yet?

jay.dee and Chris M like this.
  12. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The version of little wing on here is amazing, I don't think it's on anything else is it?

Erik B., notesfrom and danielbravo like this.
  13. danielbravo

I don't know, I see the details of the album and Little Wing was recorded at the Winterland Arena, San Francisco, California (USA October 12, 1968) ...Second Show

I think this song appears in the box set "Winterland" (cd number 3)

14. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The version on concerts is october 11th and the winterland box set only has little wing from october 12th

danielbravo likes this.
  15. danielbravo

Right !
    I did not see the date well in Lp cover? I'll see it again

Opeth likes this.
  16. danielbravo

Right, you're right. I guess this version as you say only appears in "Concerts"

Opeth likes this.
  17. Tomek

Tomek Senior Member

18. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

The two Texas summer 70 shows that I have heard San Antonio and Fort Worth both seem to be very good.
    Unfortunately they both sound like they were recorded from a concession stand just outside the auditorium with the mic place in the bottom of a goldfish bowl.
    Based on what I can hear Jimi seems to be in fine form.
    An upgrade to the San Antonio show appeared several years ago but I don't torrent so I have not heard it.
    Everyone has their own opinion on Hendrix shows a good example being the different points of view we all have on the recent Atlanta show.
    I would not want to say that Johnson and Taylor were correct or incorrect but would say we all look for different things in Hendrix shows and what floats one boat may not float another. They were at the show I can only listen to a bad recording of it.
    A funny thing about one of these shows is that at some point during SSB a girls date tells her Jimi is playing the national anthem and her high pitched reaction "REALLY ??!!!" is good for a laugh. I wonder where she is now and if she has ever heard herself on that tape.

19. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Not a Experience Hendrix release, but I would also like to add to the list: "Jimi by Himself The Home Recordings."

Loved the up tempo version of "Gypsy Eyes"

20. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Pardon my ignorance here. I have been waiting (in a rather lazy way), for a nicely remastered and expanded Band of Gypsies live set. Is there a consensus here about officially-released Band of Gypsies live discs? Is there something recommendable out there already or should I just go ahead and pick up what's already there?

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

As is Stone Free from the same album/show

22. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

All you people need to start asking your elders if they ever saw Jimi, and if they taped him. You'd be shocked what can turn up by just having a friendly conversation about music. Henceforth all the Lampinski tapes. NO hendrix by him, but all the stuff that turned up was amazing.

Someone out there is sitting on uncirculated/unknown Jimi, and it doesn't even dawn on them that people would love to hear it. The doors London Fog show turned up in a similar fashion, though it cost a bit of money!

23. cryingbluerain

cryingbluerain Forum Resident

My thoughts on the Experience Hendrix live releases from the last 16 years:

Live At The Fillmore East: Loved hearing this back in 1999. Really wished they would have expanded it to include all 4 shows in 2010 for the Sony Legacy reissue. The 3 New Year's Eve songs included on West Coast Seattle Boy just sound so much better. Rumor is they finally got the multi-tracks from Paul Allen. Wish they'd hurry up and let us hear them.
    Live At Woodstock: Excellent. So much better than 1999's Woodstock atrocity.
    Blue Wild Angel: Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival: Surprised they released this considering how much Kramer/McDermott bashed the show for decades. I actually prefer the mix on the 1971 Polydor LP especially the unedited "Midnight Lightning/Foxey Lady."
    Live At Berkeley: The obvious question, why only the second set? It is a great show though. Includes the amazing "Machine Gun."
    Live At Monterey: Guess they had to reissue this to replace the Alan Douglas version. I thought the 1986 version was fine.
    In The West: Enjoyed hearing the San Diego 1969 songs properly mixed especially "Voodoo Child."
    Winterland: Absolutely amazing. So much better than the 1987 hatchet job.
    Miami Pop Festival: Decent enough. The live footage is cool.
    Freedom: Atlanta Pop Festival: Another one they had to reissue. Nice to finally hear the entire show.

DAGGER RELEASES:
    Oakland 1969: Interesting release. Hard for me to listen to audience recordings.
    Clark University 1968: Not bad
    Ottawa 1968: Great show.
    Paris/San Francisco: Has some interesting moments.
    Isle Of Fehmarn: Really rough recording. Hard to listen to. They had to release it because it's Jimi's final concert.
    Paris/Ottawa 1968: Haven't heard it.
    Woburn: Haven't heard it
    Cologne: Haven't heard it

24. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Yeah, it's arguably anything. Anyway, my "research" is listening to a significant number of the concert bootlegs that have been available over the last 40 years (beginning with the LA Forum 1970 "Coca Cola" album) and the more recent, official EH concert releases. I've heard a lot of good moments in these recordings, but not a lot of songs where the playing was good—and when I say "good", I mean, among other things, that the quality is such that a rock guitar aficionado who had never heard Jimi's music would be able to have some sense of his greatness on the basis of those recordings alone—from beginning to end. When I strip away the Hendrix vibe, strip away whatever appeal the song as a whole holds, and just listen to the guitar, that's the conclusion I come to. YMMV.

25. SoundAdvice

I thought the London Fog tape was a film school friend of Ray?

Most tapers know what they have and what it's worth, including some with YEARS of tapes from a single venue unknown to the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.