Ellington Indigos (Impex Gold CD- Kevin Gray)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jh901, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone pick up the Impex Gold CD for Ellington Indigos? The 8 album tracks are mastered from the original 1958 stereo analog tapes by Kevin Gray (at Cohearent). Bonus tracks are in mono and mastered by Mark Wilder.

The sound quality of the album tracks is pretty amazing. Haven't spun the bonus cuts yet.

crispi and rxcory like this.
  2. Coaltrain

Coaltrain Forum Resident

I bought it from Acoustic Sounds and agree that the sound quality is excellent. The sound seems somehow purer, with greater instrumental clarity and separation. I have had this album in various iterations for a long time and I'm having difficulty in getting used to the different track order from previous versions I have owned.

Lonson and jh901 like this.
  3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very little interest in this release. I hope it ends up selling well.

4. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Maybe Impex could try marketing, as in keeping their website up to date. No mention of the CD (just the LP) on the site.

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I didn't hear about this release til this thread appeared. I'll order the cd soon. I love this session. I have had mono and stereo lps for years and several cd versions.

edit to add: budgetarily wise I shouldn't have, but I just ordered it.

David Ellis and rxcory like this.
  6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Hadn't noticed it before. Thanks for the heads up!

7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Didn't even know the Impex CD existed, only the LP. Great news! This album is one of Duke's greatest for Columbia and was in need of a remaster!
    Are there any other Impex CDs?

8. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

This is great news. I didn't know it existed and have wanted to upgrade my ancient copy. This and Blues in Orbit are my go to Ellington albums from the 50's.

9. Lonson

As in all the Columbia Ellington dates (in my opinion) this recording is top notch. The Impex cd sounds quite good. I will still probably reach for my vinyl copies more often (partly for sentimental, partly for the wonderful sound of these records) but this is a first-class reissue and I'm glad it's out.

RiRiIII likes this.
  10. Lonson

This is the original track order though (stereo tracks). Nicely sequenced, with dancing in mind perhaps.

RiRiIII likes this.
  11. Lonson

And what an amazing piano performance (so well-captured too) to open the album with.

RiRiIII likes this.
  12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Let's see if my importcds back order will fly...

Great release it seems thanks to Lonson.

13. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

I have the 2011 "Complete Ellington Indigos" cd released by Phoenix Records (2011)
    Out of the 30+ Ellington cds I have, I'll admit it's the only one that I sometimes consider to give away, if only because it's not as consistently satisfying as the (1927-1974) rest, but then there's Ray Nance's violin, and the cd stays in my collection.

14. Lonson

Ray Nance was such a treasure! So I can see keeping the cd for his contributions. But I can't put myself in your shoes, I've always loved this one, the arranging and performances are just so masterful. But I do see how it would not be everyone's cup of tea, it's a rather sedate affair.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  15. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

The Columbia Jazz Masterpieces version messed with the original track sequence and selections as well, causes a lot of confusion now.

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Blues In Orbit is my favorite of the few Ellington I have. Maybe this is something I should seek out. I'm not familiar with it.

17. Lonson

Go for it!

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

One of my favorite 'scores' was during the mid-80's when I went to this huge flea market on the Ohio/PA border and found, at 2 separate vendors, copies of the stereo and mono versions of 'Indigos'!

Stone Turntable and rxcory like this.
  19. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

This opening from Ellington is something I savor and is one of my favorite pieces of any Ellington song.. When I listen to this I always make sure I am in the sweet spot and have good volume going. It is grand and elegant.

I did pick up this CD and can happily say that it was well worth the expense to upgrade.

rxcory likes this.
  20. Nathen

Nathen Forum Resident

Does anybody have any comments on how the mastering of the Impex CD compares to the CD from the 1951-1958 Ellington Columbia studio albums box?

21. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

rxcory likes this.
  22. mwheelerk

I did buy this. From a comparison standpoint that you have asked I cannot offer anything. I can say that it has quickly jumped up to be one of my very favorite Ellington's along with Blues In Orbit and I think the sound is wonderful.

rxcory likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

It goes into my late night listening shelf. Along with In The Wee Small Hours and Bill Evans Moonbeams. Its not something Id listen to at any other time. Which isnt to say its lower quality. Its just made for nights imo.

rxcory likes this.
  24. mwheelerk

I think you are right. I'm listening to it now.

25. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Indigos is one of my fave albums by anyone. This new master is fantastic! Johnny Hodges, in particular, sounds wonderful. It's like the aural equivalent to being swaddled in pink cotton wool...

Stone Turntable and Lonson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.