Olivia Newton-John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I think the Japanese and UK editions of Xanadu are a great example of how CDs can sound different, but still both be good

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

The SACD of Physical has a kind of fold out sleeve with all the artwork and lyrics.

The LP is nicer though.:)

Jarleboy and kingrommel like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

And we're on 100 pages now.

Is this where someone takes me outside and shoots me?!

4. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Absolutely. We all have our different favorites but objectively speaking Xanadu is Olivia's absolute peak as a pop singer and John Farrar's peak as a songwriter/producer.

Pizza and Jarleboy like this.
  5. Django

Django Forum Resident

100 pages on Olivia Newton John...I'm impressed.

DiabloG and Jarleboy like this.
  6. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

I don't know about the second part but perhaps they're going to take you to a place where nobody dared to go.

Congratulations all around on one hundred pages.

7. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Won't vote on the music aspect. Call me sexist but she was pretty hot back then...

8. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

You tear me up. Not literally, of course... :shh:

kingrommel and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

No you're not.

kingrommel and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Was she? Never noticed.:D

11. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Beautiful woman but never did it for me as I found her music too light weight.

12. Bobby Morrow

That's a pretty common thought here. All those shows with Cliff and Eurovision didn't help.:D

13. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Would totally agree with you.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Cheesy pop.

15. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

Just picked up a bunch of ONJ records since they are cheap. So far listened to Have You Never Been Mellow and since I like soft rock/ folksy music, it has been good to my ears. Don't know if I can play more than 2 of her records in one go though. :D

kingrommel, Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  16. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I just checked my Olivia collection, and it would appear that Soul Kiss did not get a remastering in 1998. I bought every one of the 1998 remasters when I was in Australia in January 1999, and that wasn't one of them. Everything else up to The Rumour got a remastered edition, with the exception of the three movie soundtracks.

kingrommel, Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Take it easy with them.:)

18. Bobby Morrow

I thought it was odd that I hadn't got a remastered copy of SK. I would have definitely bought one in 1998.

19. Jarleboy

Definitely not. We´d all be there to kill them with ONJ trivia!

20. Jarleboy

Agree 100%. Top notch from all concerned.

21. Jarleboy

Maybe. But we all like different music, and this kind agrees with me. That doesn´t mean it´s the only kind of music I like, but if that´s your definition, then cheese is definitely a part of my diet. :righton:

kingrommel, Bobby Morrow and Pizza like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

It's odd that I absolutely hate cheese as a food, yet so many of my musical favourites are classed as 'cheesy'.:)

kingrommel, DiabloG and Jarleboy like this.
  23. Jarleboy

That is one aspect to wonder at. Another is the etymology of the word in this context. Why "cheesy"? We have no similar connection in Norwegian. Similar thoughts were expressed about the kind of music and films that we like, but nothing lactose-derived were ever used to describe it. To my mind, the word brings with it a sense overly sentimental, hokey and cheap kind of music, not perhaps of the most sincere or earth-shattering quality. Is that what is meant by "cheesy"? I still don´t see a connection to cheese, though...

When it comes to cheese, I love the edible kind and I quite happily listen to the aural kind. Like I stated earlier, I don´t listen to this kind of music exclusively - there are only two genres I don´t have much time for, and that is heavy metal and dance bands. (Though ABBA is vaguely in that corner.) And even for those genres I have exceptions. Some heavy metal songs have a lot of energy, and ond on certain days, they are perfect. There are perhaps half a dozen acts that are lumbered with the category dance bands that I like and sometimes even love. To the latter category goes Pussycat, the Dutch dance band that scored with "Missisissippi" in 1976. I love the way the three voices of the vocalists blend, and some of the songs are amusing.

Summing up, I like whatever music takes my fancy, and I see no reason to defend my choices. Let´s listen to some cheesy music while we eat our cheesy pizzas. :agree:

DiabloG, kingrommel and Bobby Morrow like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

I suppose much of my record collection would be classed as cheesy.. I have some that wouldn't be. Bowie. A few Stones albums. Beatles. A few rockier albums. However, cheese is where my heart lies.:)

25. Jarleboy

And I love you for it. I love to just sink into a heavenly mix of cheesy music now and then, and nobody should to tell me that´s not a good thing. To wallow in all things cheesy. Lovely. I once offered an spare copy of Leo Sayer´s album "Leo Sayer" to a colleague of mine. (Great title, eh?) The music on this is quite good - most of it sounding like pleasant singer-songwriter material. He was and is a rocker, with a taste for roots music, that I also happen to love. (Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, Steve Earle, Willie Nelson etc.) He just responded: "What would my mates say if they saw this in my collection?" I was stunned - he is a man of utter integrity, and the thought that he worried about his mates might think was a revelation. I have trash in my collection - real trash - which I love, but I also have a lot of albums that the critics like. I see no reason to enjoy only the latter.

That´s what I like about this thread: no pretentions. We are who we are, and we like what we like. I feel a song coming on; "I am what I am, I´m my own little creation..." Or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.