Curtis Mathes Console score

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shaan Sloan, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaan Sloan

Shaan Sloan New Member Thread Starter

Vintage stereo folks, I have an opportunity to pick up a fancy old Curtis Mathes console today... can you tell me what might be inside this beauty, what to look for, what model it is, and possibly what the value may be? Looks like this one...

[​IMG]

geddyfleaharris, Rockos and PhilBiker like this.
  2. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Tubes or solid state?Looks good either way.

3. Shaan Sloan

Tubes.... for sure

4. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Whats inside it is not important but what a GREAT cabinet.

5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Wow, beautiful!

6. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Well, that's a picture I took of my console so I can tell you all about it :uhhuh: Where did you find the pic?

It's a Christmas model from 1959 IIRC.
    It uses tubes.
    Mine has a BSR idle-drive turntable/changer. Use it for "beater" LPs only unless you plan to upgrade the TT at some point, which is easy-peasy. It sounds pretty ok. The speed is adjusted by a screw that raises and lowers the pulley. Tracking force is spring-set and is around 5-7 grams.
    Don't go over $100 even if it's immaculate, considering it's not the best thing to play your records on.

Rockos and PhilBiker like this.
  7. Shaan Sloan

I got the pic from your thread on this site.... Do you know if the amp in this console is a 6BQ5 stereo amp?

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

If I were a gambling type, I'd say that would be a pretty good bet - I've seen a number of CM 6BQ5 EL84 pulls for sale on Ebay.

9. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Here are the guts:
    [​IMG]

It's stereo. It's actually a 5527MX Super Audio 72 from 1961.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It's pretty fine, the record changer is too klutzy for my tastes however.

11. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Can't tell from the picture what tubes are in your console - you'll need to pop the hood. If they are 6BQ5 EL84 tubes, I have a great stash of those from a number of different manufacturers from the 50s through the 70s - shoot me a PM...

12. inperson

inperson Senior Member

looks great! enjoy it.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i remember when curtis-mathes was THE televison to buy, very high end and quite expensive for the times.

nm_west, Dave and timind like this.
  14. Shaan Sloan

Well these are in fact the guts.... I went to see it and passed it up. It was in good shape but frankly I was hoping for a single ended EL84/6BQ5 tube amp. It did have this exact amp/tuner in it that is pictured, but the amp is built in together with the Tuner. Any ways, the cabinet was in nice shape, hopefully someone who wants to use it as a complete console will buy at their sale today. Thanks for your input....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.