Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I do if there is no other choice.

2. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Somehow, that thought NEVER enters the mind. Unfortunately, we are ALWAYS looking to upgrade/get better product.

Michael likes this.
  3. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I was a LONG time holdout on Blu-Ray. Only time I don't get something on Blu is when it isn't worth the extra money. I don't have a stereo system to take advantage of the audio end so......whenever Eagle Vision has titles out on Blu, I'll get the DVD. Upscaled Blu SUCKS.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

tell me about it! I do have many DVDs and CDs...

5. Michael

BR: I'm only buying dual BR/DVD sets and some of my all time favorite movies on BR...

6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I still buy BluRays, mainly of television shows.

But of course that is coming to an end due to Fox and Warner choosing not to release their shows on BluRay anymore.

(They're releasing some, but they're clearly trying to wean people off of BluRay in favor of streaming or downloads).

I buy an ocassional movie on BluRay too, but you get more value from a TV series usually.

7. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I still buy DVDs occasionally but I don't consider myself a movie "collector" like I do with music (900 CDs and counting!!). I've never been in the habit of watching the same movies over and over again.

Of course, I *do* own some personal favorites that I plan on keeping but for the most part DVDs are kinda disposable to me. Most of the movies I've bought over the past few years have been for a buck or two at yard sales/thrift shops/etc. At that price, I can watch'em once or twice and then trade'em off, donate'em to the public library or Craigslist 'em without feeling like it was a waste of $$.

My wife and I just bought our first Blu-Ray player about a month ago (!), which I guess is kinda like hitching onto a wagon that's already disappeared over the horizon, but hey, more and more Blu-Rays are gonna start turning up cheap at those thrift stores soon if streaming continues to be the dominant format for watching movies... (rubs hands together in anticipation).... :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I found a used copy of Captain America Winter Soldier DVD at the supermarket for $4.99. I could have held out for the blu-ray combo thingy but at that price why not? Good enough.

keefer1970 likes this.
  9. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Nice score. I would've jumped on that too!

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Yes I still do, however, most are used for around $2 or $3. when possible. Sometimes I might pay a little more if it's something I feel like I really want. Either I have a collector mentality or I'm just a hoarder. :)

audiomixer likes this.
  11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Never it seems, at least for me. At one point I figured out that I already have more vinyl records and DVDs/Blu-rays to last me until well past my anticipated life span assuming only a single additional listen/viewing of each of them, so I tried to be far more picky about what I add to the collection. But then I walk into a record store and see something I like for cheap or I see a review for a movie and decide I really want to see it, so I'm still buying way more than I need.

12. Michael

have a large collection can be overwhelming...but we still buy 'em!

13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I'm the same: I still buy DVDs and I don't "stream" movies or music.

jeatleboe and Rocker like this.
  14. Wurding

Wurding New Member

I usually just download a torrent of the film if i want to see it in HD but for things like music,and rare shows DVDs are best. I usually buy a DVD if there is an old Japanese anime i want but cant find online but sometimes thery use terrible dubs due to awful translation services

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
  15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Same here. :)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

There's a guy in South Dakota that still does. I forget his name.

17. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Just bought the Man From UNCLE series set, not long ago I got the Fugitive series set, Wrecking Crew (of course) and a few DVD-A's.

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

was that a fiasco or what?!

Mister Charlie likes this.
  19. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I really was not too concerned about the music cues, but I was concerned about missing scenes and white snow like static on a section of one of the first shows in the second season. I called, new discs are coming.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

it's great they are still honoring the defects.

21. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Just paid 3 bucks for Midsummers Night Dream with Jimmy Cagney. Bought Singing In The Rain last week at Big Lots. So yeah, I still find things worth having at a fraction of a new BR.
    I know I'm not the only one here who loaded our collections thanks to Big Lots.

Here is a thread with the things we found.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/back-to-big-lots-for-3.195215/

22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Concert DVDs, yes.

23. Michael

revisited the thread...thanks.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Still collect them' but I'm choosy about keeping them in my collection if only one play ' it's in the trade pile( which has tendency to mount up). Only collect 3D BDs ( the few good ones)now.

25. Do I still buy DVD's?

Do I still buy DVD's?

[​IMG]

And that's not all, but its all I have online!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.