Grateful Dead Live Compilation "30 Trips Around the Sun" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluej, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

It would be nice if there was some autographed posters/pics in this box!

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I like to listen to all releases at least five times before shelving them. This could take a while

Lost In The Flood and Sordel like this.
  3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

There speaks someone who hasn't thought about how long it would take to sign at least 6500 items. Even if you could sign 250 an hour (which I don't think you could) that would be 26 hours of work for each signing member plus the same for one or two assistants fetching and carrying the item. At their age any one of those musicians would need rest breaks (and probably physiotherapy!) and all this trouble would be for a boxed set from which they probably see relatively little personal income in the first place and which already sold out.

I doubt that there will be any posters, period, (They've already mentioned the 'scroll' and a poster of any size would have to be folded, which makes it impractical for framing.) Photos would be possible, but anything like that would probably be reproduced in the book. To be honest, reproduction tickets seem the most likely bonuses, with maybe reproduction backstage passes as the best one could hope for.

I'm pinning my hopes more on the packaging than any easter eggs that might be added to the box.

4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Have you all got the address confirmation message, or it is just me with no message ?

Thanks.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I received it.

6. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

For that much money, don't think it's out of the question.
    I don't think the band would have gotten a 26 hour notice to each sign 6500 autographs!
    They could have started signing stuff when first notified of release. I'm sure this set has been in the making for some time.

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Like Dylan said: "You don't need my autograph. If you needed it, I'd give it to you."

Quincy and budwhite like this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

When I first met Springsteen in Trenton, NJ, I just shook his hand, thanked him for the music and and said keep on rocking, although it was an acoustic night :tiphat:

Never understood the autograph thing. A signed copy would be nice but if I don't see the the man/woman doing it, it means nothing to me

xTraPlaylists, therockman and Rne like this.
  9. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

There was an interesting discussion on the radio the other day about autographs, and how they thought getting an autograph just isn't as cool as it used to be, and that the thing to do when you come across a celeb now is to not get an autograph but get that selfie so you can throw it facebook/instagram/whatever.

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I had the chance of meeting Luis Alberto Spinetta after a show back in 2005, and he signed a CD booklet for me. He's one of the musicians I admire the most, and yet that autograph means very little for me. He looked tired and obviously wanting to go home. I would have liked to have a conversation with him, that's something I would have treasured. When I think of my musical idols -let's say Jerry Garcia, for instance-, I wish I could have had a talk with them and, of course, do some jamming! That would have made me truly happy.

budwhite likes this.
  11. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

[​IMG]

"To Jacob

If I Knew!

oh well

Jerry"

12. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

A few more CD box sets are available at Dead.net

Hurry!

13. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I got one, I got one! Am I NUTZZZZZZZ???????????

Quincy, Erik B. and Sordel like this.
  14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I hope I get one of these now.

Two days ago, fraud was committed on my credit card and I had to shut down the account (to get a new card). I called Dead.net to switch my order to my debit card which the woman I spoke with said went through fine.
    When I saw just now that more CD sets became available, I got suspicious and decided to look up my order online........sure enough, they cancelled my order instead without even sending me an email. :realmad:

I just placed a new order and got a new confirmation e-mail.........(still supposedly not sold out as of this post).
    I hope they don't screw it up........I'm afraid to call them again after this.

15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

USB canceled, CD box ordered! :pineapple:

Quincy, nitsuj, Sordel and 2 others like this.
  16. madpanic

madpanic Forum Resident

I haven't seen it mentioned here - there's a picture of the USB drive on dead.net now. Looks about as nice as a USB drive can.

17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm glad for anyone who likes the look of this thing but to me it looks like something out of a cereal box. I had pictured in my mind something more with a brushed metal finish and a nice laser engraving. I also think that USB drives in general should have a security loop of some sort so that you can hang them: the price this one costs it should really be wearable as jewelry!

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  18. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Just so one can have 30 Grateful Dead shows hanging from their neck whenever they go to the opera.:cool:

19. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I really do think that Rhino has botched their handling of the USB release. In the beginning, it seemed like decent idea for those who love the convenience of not having to rip a bunch of CDs. The hi-res was also a plus. Then it started to become clear that the USB really was a bare-bones affair (aside from the digital copies of the book and scroll). I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since Rhino never advertised it as anything more than a USB stick, but for 700 bucks one would thing that a little more thought would go into this. When you go to the pre-order page and look at the images of the box set and USB stick side by side, the USB comes across as a cheap-looking afterthought.

To have it delayed by a month just added to the disappointment.

Either way, I couldn't be happier that some additional CD box sets were found or released for pre-order.

20. madpanic

madpanic Forum Resident

It is tough to make a thumb drive look like anything else. You are really tied to the interface and unless you do a "madrigal box" kind of thing where you have to go through some machinations to open it up and get to the part you plug in really all you have is a USB plug with a fancy top. The Beatles (don't they have to be mentioned in every thread here?) managed it pretty well with their Apple but other than that I can't think of another drive that carries it off. Actually, somewhere I have one that looks like a piece of candy corn, that also looks good.

I think the biggest problem is the price. When you charge this much for something small that is not jewellery the average person will not see the value. You could make the argument that most GD fans are more about the physical product since they can listen to most shows at any time and that this drive represents nothing special - $700 dollars for files?

Lost In The Flood and nitsuj like this.
  21. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Care to share the story with this one??

22. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Had the opportunity to chat with Jerry at an Atlanta art gallery in the early nineties.

Something along the lines of "how does it work, even when it doesn't work"?, or something like that.

Can't say I was coherent at the time...although Jerry was more than cordial to me, and completely charmed my wife.

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Yes. But that belief will quickly fade away.

xTraPlaylists likes this.
  24. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I just don't want to be going down the road feelin bad. (Sorry bout that)

25. [​IMG]
    They've posted photos of the USB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.