Jimi Hendrix Atlanta Pop Festival

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeInFla, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

It was going to be a automatic purchase for me even before any of the details were out about it.

I'm excited to learn what the still unannounced bonuses are going to be.

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

star spangled banner>straight ahead was always my favorite part of this show

old school likes this.
  3. Wayne Hubbard

Funny. I have the complete opposite opinion. I did used to think that after watching Alan Douglas' version of the show.
    But, in this new edit you catch a few glimpses of Jimi grinning. Almost breaking into a smile. There are a few grimaces.
    Usually when hitting a bum note. There's also a great shot of Jimi looking straight into the audience and he looks like
    he's concerned that he is not connecting with the dark mass of people before him. His body language was really all
    over the place. Not really defining like the Isle of Wight.

I'm really interested in seeing the full set now (minus Hey baby). To see if Jimi had a better time than has been
    thought over the years. His glance over his shoulder to see the fireworks going off was awesome. It should have
    been an iconic image already, not something popping up 45 years after the event.

bluesbro, Purple Jim and old school like this.
  4. old school

old school Senior Member

Yeah, Star Spangled Banner>Straight Ahead are really great performances. Straight Ahead always get's you groovin' and moving. Jimi does it again.

supermd, Purple Jim and Erik B. like this.
  5. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

If your referring to the second show from from 1/1, I agree. I prefer it to the BOG version (early 1/1 show I think?) For me, I always liked what Buddy brought to this song with his backing vocals and playing.

I'm probably in the minority, but I have mixed feelings about RFOM and LM . They don't grab my attention as much as the remaining songs in the set do. Strange, because I like the various studio incarnations that Hendrix was working on. Maybe they'll grow on me with a few more listens.

6. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

I totally agree. It was a WOW moment for me after seeing the trailer a few weeks ago. I'll be glad to finally get rid of my inferior version when the dvd comes out.

7. Wayne Hubbard

I also liked the shots of the audience with the old schoool sparklers. It really reminded me of my childhood and of
    a different time.

It's about a hour until midnight here. I think I'm going to throw on the Hear My Train A Comin' documentary bonus
    footage. Tax Free from Miami Pop and the Randall's Island footage should be a good way to end the night.

dee and Erik B. like this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's "Foxy" - an adjective.
    "Foxey" is a perpetual spelling mistake since the first American releases.

Carserguev, Gordon Johnson and dino77 like this.
  9. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

+1 Berkeley Hear My Train is untouchable.

Erik B. likes this.
  10. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

As a three piece band the name remained THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE from 1966 through to 1970, beside the short interlude of the Band Of Gypsys.
    Nothing [or nobody] formally or informally changed the band name regardless of comments made in any interview.
    The line up of Hendrix, Cox, Mitchell was referenced as Cry Of Love but that simply denoted a TOUR and not a band.
    Reference to Hendrix, [rather than the JHE] post demise, most likely related and equated to money as has been mentioned already.

man, this thread is everywhere! Can the Gorts change the name to EVERYTHING Hendrix and a couple of tenuously linked posts thrown in for good measure!?! It makes searching for information so much more difficult.
    12 months from now when I want to check BOG posts will I remember to check the thread title Jimi Hendrix Atlanta Pop Festival?

dino77 and marcfeld69 like this.
  11. Gordon Johnson

As with any other "tool", moderation is generally the order of the day. It was way over done on this record.

12. Gordon Johnson

jhm said:
    For Paris '68 it's known now that Douglas used a cassette dub instead of working out a deal with French Radio to get the master to release. EH has since rectified that on their Paris/Ottawa Dagger release. The audio is a nice upgrade and you get some bonus (although to me underwhelming) audio from the first Ottawa show.
    John: This explains why there is such severe automatic gain riding in the Stages version.

Just listening to a raw copy of this show and it beats the Stages version and is more complete than the EH outings :)
    Should be available on a collectors set some time soon.

Purple Jim, dino77 and marcfeld69 like this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE MAIL THIS TO EH Jim.

mikew, dino77 and Purple Jim like this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

During a commercial of the football game I was watching, I tried this channel to see if it was part of my package. Nope!

Let us know how the film is.

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone score 100 yet? LOL

16. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Live At Leeds had it, from day 1. I don't find it overdone there or here, just my opinion.

17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Actually Jimi always mis-spelled it "Foxey" on all of his notes/hand written lyrics. I always wondered if that was the reason they kept the "e" on most official releases listing the song.

EVOLVIST, supermd, JeffMo and 2 others like this.
  18. dee

dee Senior Member

It may be wrong and misspelled and it doesn't matter what I think about it but I prefer it with the 'e' because I think of it as British with an 'e' and also FOXY makes me think too closely in sound to FOLKSY and then I think of folk music. Now the girl may have moved from foxy to folksy as a result of her being foxie but I still prefer Foxey fwiw.

supermd likes this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:goodie:

20. skybluestoday

skybluestoday Forum Resident

I got those -- but missed his birth name (!).

Straight Ahead is such a killer groove, man. I really love the early summer explorations of it at Berkeley and Baltimore.

old school likes this.
  21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

EH use "Foxey" on most releases but have used "Foxy" on some of the compilations and possibly the AYE CD back cover in Europe.

I suppose anyone uptight about spelling will also insist that it's always "Voodoo Child" and "Highway Child" and also "Jimmy".

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

For those that saw the tv special and are sticklers for detail:

-Did they keep to waist/knee up shots of Jimi or the face close-ups like the VHS?
    -How many Berkeley crowd shots?(long sleeved shirts in July in Atlanta and having their elbows onstage are the giveaway)

23. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Can't see anything wrong with this one, I'll be getting it.

24. Harbins_Grave

Harbins_Grave Untitled Original 11383

I DVR'd the film last night and watched it this morning. The Hendrix performance will be sure to satisfy any diehard Jimi fan - and given the technical limits faced by the original film crew (lighting was minimal to say the least), the image was quite good. My only criticism of the visuals would be that you don't see the other band members very well, but if you only have so many cameras and lighting at your disposal, then focusing on Jimi is of course the best option.

As a "documentary" there's nothing groundbreaking here - there a lot of the usual "talking head" footage that you might expect, and a lot of editorial effort goes into stressing that this particular festival was the "last of its kind," which may or may not be accurate. But I imagine that most of you will be chiefly interested in the Hendrix concert footage, so I will say that for footage that was stored in a barn undeveloped for 30+ years that is just now seeing the light of day in this edited form (not sure why it has taken an additional 15 years to be released, but restoration costs/time and legal issues are the probable culprits), this is sort of a small miracle and a gift for Hendrix fans.

dee and JeffMo like this.
  25. Wayne Hubbard

Truthfully, I have only watched this concert a half dozen times. So, I can't say with authority what the differences are between this and
    the previous release. But, there did appear to be quite a few new shots of Jimi playing his guitar.

The Berkeley footage appears in the preceding documentary only. It's part of a segment showing how Jimi connected to his audience.
    Which I think they included because of the lack of crowd footage at Atlanta. As far as I could tell, all the concert footage is authentic.

Harbins_Grave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.