EAR 912 Tube Preamplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by shaizada, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xv48643

xv48643 Forum Resident

Thank you!
    I'm quite happy with my system but I'm always open for upgrades. At this point I'm waiting for two pairs Acoustic Zen Absolute (XLR and RCA) that hopefully will arrive next week.
    On recommendations from a dealer a bought the 861 power amp. I was lucky to find a very well cared one from a guy
    that needed money for a new boat and made a real good deal. It was a nice upgrade from my EAR 534. 912 and 861
    ia real good combo.

shaizada likes this.
  2. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident Thread Starter

You are welcome :) Acoustic Zen makes fantastic stuff...I am sure you will enjoy them.

The EAR 861 is a unique animal....barely any ever show up for sale. I actually now also own an EAR 834 (the integrated amp version of the EAR 534 power amp) in a second system. I was wondering if you can tell me a bit more about the differences you experienced between the EAR 534 and the EAR 861, if you could recall them. What tube compliment were you using in the EAR 534 at the time? Thanks for ANY information!

3. xv48643

xv48643 Forum Resident

Yes, i'm sure a will like the Absolute cables.
    I run the standard EL 34 tubes and bought some NOS after 3 1/2 years or so. Also shifted the input valves. It sounded much better with the NOS tubes. But when getting the 861 I imediatly heard the difference. Much smoother more nyansed and greater soundstage, better bass and it really delivered playing on low volume.
    I have bought a couple sets of PL 509 Mullard NOS, Yougoslavian EI, Mullard and Tungsram ECC 85 och PCC 88 so I will not run out of tubes with this one (as I did with my 534).
    I haven' t heard much of the 890 monoblocks but I'm sure they are great. All EAR products are great!

4. shaizada

Picked up the unit today, but they messed up the order. I got an all black unit, while I ordered silver faceplate with black handles and black knobs. Nasty email sent by EAR USA to EAR, England....messed up order after months of delay!

5. xv48643

xv48643 Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that!
    Hopefully you get the right color unit fast.

shaizada likes this.
  6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

In the high volume mass sales market of $13K audio components it's understandable. Probably their single error of 1,000s sales that day. I would be so f-ing furious!!!!

7. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Someone is trying to tell you something....maybe from above. ;)

8. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

First World problems, man! I hear you, though. You dropped some pretty serious coin on the color scheme that you specified, and waited patiently for it. Knowing the parties involved, I'm sure things will get sorted out.

9. shaizada

Problem is almost rectified...I got a call from the EAR distributor and the proper silver faceplate is here...it will be getting swapped out by the official EAR tech. Now I will have to part with my preamp for few more days again (my system gets almost daily usage!) but it will look like exactly how I wanted it. All should be well in audio land once again.

Thanks EAR USA and EAR Yoshino, England!

[​IMG]

econalan and LeeS like this.
  10. xv48643

xv48643 Forum Resident

Nice to hear!
    I think that's a smart way to solve your problem. Enjoy listening!

shaizada likes this.
  11. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Congrats on your new preamp. I used to have a 912 silver, paired with 509 mono blocs and later 861 paired with various loudspeakers over the course of time.

I was very happy with it, but now I have moved on.

Enjoy it is a great tool/listening device.

shaizada likes this.
  12. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

13.5k? It better sound incredible for $13,500.

shaizada likes this.
  13. shaizada

Believe me, this was not some on the whim purchase! :) A very deliberate, planned, weighed out move towards a final, settled, "for life" kind of preamp. Over the years, I believe the costs will get justified.

Can you tell me a little about your thoughts on sound and differences between the 912/509 combination compared to the EAR 861 integrated please? I've heard the 912/509 combination many times and have a mighty respect for that over achieving combination. Very curious to what the 861 brings to the table in an integrated form using the same family of tubes for the output section of the amp. Thanks!!

14. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

First of all, you don't have to rationalize how you spend your money to us as that's really none of our business.
    Congratulations on your purchase of a really fine piece of audio equipment. Do you plan on any tube rolling?

shaizada likes this.
  15. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

@shaizada

As to the difference between the two power amps EAR 509/861. First of all they have a very similar sound signature, since they are created by the same man Tim P. of EAR Yoshino.
    However to my ears the EAR 861 sounds a bit more lush less analytical then the 509. The 509 to my ears is a mastering instrument while with the 861 I was able to enjoy the music more. Power wise I didn't feel there was a great difference, since I used two EARs 861 in mono configuration. With just one EAR 861 this might be different.

All this of course is all highly subjective my ears, my room etc. but I hope this gives you a little impression of how I feel about the two amps.

shaizada likes this.
  16. shaizada

Thank you very much for this post. This gives me SOME information as I am very familiar with the sound of the 509 amps. Two EAR 861 in mono configuration MUST be something very special!

Thanks! I actually have had very extensive tube rolling experience with this preamp before I even owned one myself. Luckily, as I had the EAR 868 as well, I have a boat load of 6922, 6DJ8, PCC88, E88CC, ECC88, 7308 and 7DJ8 tubes. To begin with, I plan on putting in a pair of Mullard ECC88 in the line stage section for a fuller, more palpable sound :)

samurai likes this.
  17. shaizada

All DONE! Just like I wanted it to be.

[​IMG]

18. xv48643

xv48643 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The look of yours is quite different from mine even if it´s only black colour instead of silver on the knobs and handles that differs.
    I think the silver one looks a lot better than the black origial model. By the way my was the first silver sold in Sweden.

19. shaizada

Hey xv48643, your beautiful all silver unit link is broken :)

Also, care to share any tube rolling experiences you have had with the unit? What are you using in the phono section and the linestage sections?

20. xv48643

xv48643 Forum Resident

ok, I'll see if I can fix the link.
    I'm using Philips NOS PCC88 (don't know age but I'll guess seventies or eighties). They sound great and I don't
    have any plans changing to Telefunken or any other expensive ones. I do also have a set of Tungsram NOS PCC88
    but I haven't compared them the my Philips and ofcourse the original EAR tubes that I used for about 3 years.
    When changing from standard to Philips I think the soundquality improved.
    What powercabel are you using to your 912?
    I use JPS Power+ but would like to go for Acoustic Zen Absolute. I have 3 x Absolute interconnects and a pair Absolute
    Speaker cables. But I don't really know how important the powercables are (Tim de P don't seem to recommend expensive Power cables or conditioners to his amplifiers). But I know he's not always right. The Absolute are expensive
    and I don't want to buy these cables if I'm note sure sound quality will improve.

21. shaizada

Interesting! So you are using Phillips NOS PCC88 in all of 5 tube positions? Are the Phillips PCC88 the Phillips Miniwatt versions? Which I think are Amperex tubes, but I'll let you confirm if possible.

The Tungsram PCC88 are really good tubes, but really depends what you are trying to accomplish with the rest of the system. They Tungsram are very linear, detailed and slightly on the leaner side. Can really help trim down the "fat" if used properly.

I'm currently using the following tubes. In the phono section V1 (The middle tube) and V2 (the rear tube if facing the front of the unit) are Amperex 7308 respectively. The V3 position is currently a Mullard E88CC Gold Pin, Shield Logo. In the Linestage, the tube closer to the front is an Amperex PCC88 pinched waist, gold pins. The linestage tube towards the rear is a stock Paravacini DP Logo PCC88.

The 912 to very receptive to power cable changes. I am currently using a Harmonix Studio Master 350 power cable (Wattgate Plug and IEC connectors):
    [​IMG]

From the preamp to amps is a 2 meter run of Jorma Prime. From amps to speakers is Jorma Origo speaker cables. Cable price has little to do with the sound....you just have to experiment to see what works best within the context of the system I feel. You should try the Absolute powercables and see if your setup improves. The EAR gear is really responsive to different cables.

22. xv48643

xv48643 Forum Resident

I don't know if they are miniwatts version.
    I bought my tubes from Billington Export in UK. I really didn't know what brand would fit best so I bought the
    Philips and Tungsram because of their price, which I could afford, and brandname. I also was satisfied
    with Philips from other amps. I have no experience of tuberolling and don't compare before buying. So it's
    by chance I bought my tubes and cables also by the way. Ofcourse I do research and listen at HiFi shows when that opportunity gets. I got a lot of help by my local dealer to find the right EAR configuration. When it comes to Acoustic
    Zen I have owned a couple of them before buying the Absolute so it was not a big gamble, I knew I would be happy
    even though I never have heard them before buying.
    When it comes to 912 perhaps I will try the Tungsram or a combo. But I really think a good LP pressing (promo, WLP
    or testpressing, or another guaranted early presing) will affect soundquality more than the tubes in my preamplifier.
    I have bought a lot of promopressings on eBay over the last 7-8 years.
    My biggest issue is that my room is so small (10x11 feet). Two weekends ago I tried my system (all but my record player)
    in our livingroom (appromimately 3 times as big) and during these days I really could hear the full potential of my system. It sounded so good! So when the system was back in my small room it felt a bit sad and my plans for upgrades
    (Power cables etc) don't feel that important right now unfourtunately.

23. xv48643

xv48643 Forum Resident

"But I really think a good LP pressing (promo, WLP or testpressing, or another guaranted early presing) will affect soundquality more than the tubes in my preamplifier."
    Perhaps this was a little bit provoking. What I meant with that is - if you don´t have an idea of what tubes will get you the sound you wish it´s better to focus on the source, in this case the records. Of course I want my 912 to sound as great as possible.

shaizada likes this.
  24. peter skinner

peter skinner New Member

A Townsend turntable....now that really is very classy. They may look a bit 'Heath Robinson' (old English expression) but they sound really great. A Townsend deck with EAR amps, seriously good and not at all 'obvious' if I may say so. Max Townsend and Tim P are two of the best European designers, and both very 'old school.' By which I mean they respect audio's history and traditions.

shaizada likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.