"The Wrecking Crew!" film is finally being released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daytripper09

daytripper09 Well-Known Member

When are the cds coming out?

2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Mid August is the latest target.

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Thanks. But why would "You Told Me" be on there since that's supposedly an "all" actual Monkees recording.

4. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

And then there's "Chris Hellman " of the Byrds. Good DVD otherwise, though.

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

That is so-so true, Steve. You've heard all the Reprise sessions so you know. If Mr. S was pissed off at anyone during his sessions it was at himself for not getting the song right. During a session for Sinatra & Strings (possibly the song "Yesterdays") he defiantly yells out "GODDAMMIT!!!!" during the recording because he kept blowing a certain line or note. Yet, between takes his chatter with the musicians is cordial and very "chummy". Lots of laughter.

And for any of the folks here believing his "One Take Charlie" approach to recordings, I will gladly invite you in to my humble abode and play for you the hours and hours of session material I possess. We can even keep score. I can think of maybe 4 or 5 tunes in which after the 1st take he calls out "Next tune!"

madison, Bob F, bozburn and 2 others like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes, hard on HIMSELF, never anyone else. Love that Frank.

Hal Blaine told me once that it was tough working for Sinatra. I asked him why and he stated that he was so good, such a professional, it made everyone else sweat, trying to do good for him, not to let him down. This coming from a guy with 124 Gold Records.

madison, crispi, davenav and 3 others like this.
  7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Not to belabor the point but 2 instances come to mind...oddly enough both involve trombone solos...

When recording Great Songs from Great Britain in London, Mr. S needed an inter-cut because he loused up the lyrics of a song. But in his instructions as to where to begin recording it he instructed the recording engineer to make it after the trombone solo because he thought it was excellent!

During the recording of "Quiet Nights & Quiet Stars" for the 1st Jobim album, Stan Cornyn relates on the liner notes that the trombonist blew his solo big time. Mr. S looked over to him with quiet reassurance. "Don't sweat it!" he said.

madison and Turmatic like this.
  8. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I imagine that there is no difference between Disc 1 of the UK version and the US version but what's on the bonus disc?

9. John22

John22 Forum Resident

10. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

This does make the initial British Invasion seem that much more impressive. Just four or five lads and their producer.
    I listened to an early Animals lp and marveled at the simple act of a rock and roll band.

11. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Was there a British version of the Wrecking Crew? I'm thinking those who might have played on hits by Petula Clark and others, such as Herman's Hermits (the strings on There's A Kind of Hush, for example).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  12. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

... and Bernard Purdie :)

crispi and lukpac like this.
  13. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

It's more likely it's the instrumental "Wichita Train Whistle" version of the tune Michael produced that the Wrecking Crew was the instrumental nucleus of. Notice the artist credit is "Michael Nesmith" and not "The Monkees."

D-rock likes this.
  14. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

Clem Cattini played on 45 UK number 1 singles

15. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

"Big" Jim Sullivan, "Little" Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Bobby Graham and Vic Flick seem to be British counterparts to members of "our" Wrecking Crew.

Mister Charlie and Olompali like this.
  16. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

This is on Netflix now. I just watched it and it really is sooooo good!

on7green and D-rock like this.
  17. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Sorry if this was covered already, but does anyone know what year Cher's interview was recorded? She looks absolutely breathtaking!

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

So Michael Nesmith isn't on the Netflix version??

19. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Watched it last night on Netflix, no Nesmith.

going back to this...
    The Association records produced by Bones Howe used studio musicians. IIRC the band played on most of the rest of their stuff. And, from the available live footage I've seen of them, they were really good musicians. Anyone who can hit those complex harmonies and also provide their own musical backing is no slouch in the ability department.

I think in a lot of cases in the '60s, it's not an all or nothing proposition of whether the people making up the bands played on the records.

zelox likes this.
  20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I just saw this, so I'm bumbing the thread. Going to watch it tonight!

21. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I saw this and enjoyed it but there was a lot of repetition, it needs some editing.

mpayan and artfromtex like this.
  22. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Not as well made as the Muscle Shoals documentary but still fascinating and a joy to watch for music geeks.

mpayan likes this.
  23. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

i feel the same. its other downfall (IMO) is that its a bit self-congratulatory. not as much as the sam phillips/sun records doc., but almost. aside of that, i did enjoy my one time viewing of both.

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I agree. Muscle shoals was a better doc, but this has greater music all in all. So many great songs

mpayan likes this.
  25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Really enjoying the documentary on DVD

[​IMG]

Still going through the additional Bonus footage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.