How do you audition a turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missan

missan Forum Resident

But if You think about it You will realize that a very thick record (very thick) will be more inert while playing.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yes, I've had that bookmarked for years, especially back when I liked to experiment with different cartridges on my Technics. Currently I'm leaning towards the SME M2-R2 tonearm with an effective mass of 18g that seems to be a match for pretty much any cartridge I'm interested in.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've read that while 180g pressings are less likely to warp over time, they're actually far more likely to warp as a defect of pressing/removal from press/etc.

Of course, everything about modern vinyl pressing seems to be debated and somehow mysterious, so who knows? :)

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  4. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

are a lot of turntables really noisy while just spinning? I guess I have been spoiled for a while, or my hearing is getting worse...

AllenR likes this.
  5. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

An online friend of mine in England is using the SME M2 12R tonearm on a Verdier Platine turntable with an Ortofon SPU cartridge. He absolutely loves it for what the Ortofons are so great at. The Ortofon is I believe 30 grams, which is as heavy as any cartridge available. From what he tells me, you will love it.

Rolltide likes this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I went ahead and reserved this plinth from Vinylista. I went with the 9" tonearm version when I realized how gigantic the 12" plinths are relative to my rack. I also resisted the temptation to get wood grain matching things I currently own, opting instead to get the one I liked the best. That Walnut is relly something to look at!

Now I just need to decide on the color of top plate, matte black or "Shindo Green". I'm still going with the SME arm, just the 9" M2-9R now.

[​IMG]

7. Don Parkhurst

That will look beautiful! Good choice.

Dennis0675 and Rolltide like this.
  8. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

It's the 200's that have a propensity for manufacturing defects IMHO. The 180's aren't near as faulty for me, but give me a standard weight record any day over the heavy weights for bang for the buck.

9. Don Parkhurst

There is a fellow selling the tonearm you're lookin for here:
    http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649219694-sme-m2-series/

Rolltide likes this.
  10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I guess some of the 180g pressings will sound better, but the remastering often doesn't.
    Original pressings are my usual go to.
    But they're so darned hard to find in great condition.

11. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I received the Vinylista plinth today, and popped in the deck for a quick photo op. I ended up purchasing an Alfred Bokrand rebuilt Ortofon AS-309 arm which looks great, similar in appearance to the Thomas Shick arms. In theory I could give it a listen, but I think I'm going to wait to have the deck itself cleaned and refurbished and build up some more cash to buy a SUT first. I have a MC preamp I could use for the Denon 103 I'm going to start with, and the deck itself has had some work done and runs quiet and on speed, but I think I'd prefer to have everything perfect first.

[​IMG]

googlymoogly, omodo, Jtycho and 10 others like this.
  13. Don Parkhurst

Good for you! You will enjoy it more if it is setup optimally and everything is working just as it should. Must be tough to have enough patience ; )

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm mostly pretending that running out of money is being patient. :whistle:

beowulf and Brian Gupton like this.
  15. Don Parkhurst

Hahaha! I think we can all relate to that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.