Bands You Stopped Following

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by citizensmurf, Aug 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sami

sami Mono still rules

I've never been a completest, and I've always been into records, not bands, so it is far more the rule than the exception that I eventually reach a point with an artist where they no longer interest me, especially if they release more than 4-5 records. It could be that they go in a direction I don't care for, or that their material starts to become stale sounding, or dated.

R.E.M. after Lifes Rich Pageant, Petty after Hard Promises, The Byrds after Sweetheart, Bowie after Scary Monsters, Elvis Costello after Imperial Bedroom, and Oasis after the first two are just some examples. I'm a fan of records, not bands, so 'loyalty' is never an issue.

The Stones are one of the rare bands that I love, and even there I rarely listen to anything after Tattoo You, and never to anything after Steel Wheels.

Gavinyl, Zeki and JohnnyQuest like this.
  2. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I agree about Melissa. I still buy her albums, but I think her fine writing skills have grown a bit stale. And i haven't liked the kind of instrumentation and production on the last couple of albums.

3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I'm like that with many artists. I never truly quit following any band that I've followed over all the years (too much time and money invested to quit.) I always buy every new album by a band I've followed in the past and try to catch them on tour if they come within 100 miles radius of where I live. If I don't like a new album after a couple listens, it gets shelved and may never get played again. Some bands might have a couple bad albums in a row and then surprise you with one that knocks you out and reminds you of why you like them.

Some people have mentioned John Mellencamp as an example to this thread. I really like his music, past and present. Sure, most of his music since the early '00s is very different from what it was in the '80s and '90s, but his lyrics and messages are the same. He has always been a folk rocker, but in the'80s and '90s, the music behind the words was fast, catchy and oriented towards the popular masses and top-40 stations (now being played on classic rock stations.) His music since the early '00s has no commercial appeal because that is the way he wants it. He stated that he wanted to make music for himself and get back to the roots of Americana and Folk Music. With many of these songs over the past 12 or 13 years, there are some powerful and meaningful messages he is conveying. Sure, most aren't catchy, fast songs like his earlier stuff but they are very good songs. He still surprises, every once in awhile, on new albums with maybe 1 semi-fast rocker. Do I wish he would go back to writing catchier songs? Probably, but I'm not complaining as I still like his current output like I do his older stuff. Just have to be in a different set of mind and setting to listen to the new stuff.

4. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

Tracy Chapman. Her first 4 or 5 albums were good and then she completely lost her touch. I got so frustrated with her output that I sold it all to a buy/sell used shop.

5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Bananarama. Oh wait, I never did like them.

DHamilton and Galeans like this.
  6. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Pearl Jam. Can't stand their last three records. It's a neverending mid-life crisis!

7. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Erasure

Moshe likes this.
  8. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

R.E.M. after Automatic.

The Smithereens after 11.

Matthew Sweet after In Reverse.

The Three O'Clock after Arrive Without Traveling.

The Dandy Warhols after Welcome to the Monkey House.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

My Metallica Black album experience was exactly the same as the OP, right down to selling everything but Garage Days.

More recently a band I once loved, and I mean LOVED that I actually wish didn't exist anymore is The Flaming Lips. They should've quit 10 years ago imho.

I've also stopped following My Morning Jacket. Three dull albums in a row makes me feel like they ain't coming back.

DHamilton likes this.
  10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

The talent left with Siobhan Fahey 27 years ago.

pwhytey, Gavinyl and GodShifter like this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I should stop following soulfly. they went from a unique sound with their first 5 or so albums to pretty much sounding like a generic death metal band. out of the bands last 4 albums only 1 of them has been enjoyable

12. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Lenny Kravitz, afer Circus. His first three albums are oustanding and still spin a lot, Circus is still quite enjoyable, but after that he completely lost his touch. What a waste of talent, since he is highly talented.

gururyan likes this.
  13. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Absolutely, yes. I started to skip songs to get to Colin's stuff, and realised I only really liked his couple of tracks on each album...then I heard 'Your Dictionary', where Andy runs down his ex-wife for four minutes, and my long standing love for XTC ended forever.

14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Tom Petty after Damn The Torpedos
    Pretenders after Get Close
    Prince after 3121

15. Bosch

Bosch Member

By this stage of my life, I've easily heard a few thousand albums.

I was lucky enough to start listening to music around the '78-'82 period where there was a wave of artists who were consistent enough that I didn't realise in my pre-teen innocence that good bands could eventually put out bad albums. It didn't help that my Dad has tossed me his old Beatles collection either.

Then, slowly, an Autoamerican, a Speaking In Tongues, a Let's Dance, a New Traditionalists or a Punch the Clock would happen, and I'd realise that artists are fallible. Sometimes it might take longer: a Cut there Crap here, a The Sensual World there, a Batman, a Monster...

My listening greatly increased during the 90's, and I came to the conclusion that artists were much more inconsistent than I originally thought.

By now, I'm utterly-convinced of this:

- A very small number of artists are consistent enough to have a number of great albums in them, and this is a talent that is either dying off or being drowned by the current signal to noise ratio of the sheer amount of average musicians making average music.

- A larger amount of artists only have one great album in them, and are unable to follow it up. This is now my default expectation now if I love a new album: this is all you're getting.

- A larger amount of artists have a small handful of great songs in them.

- The large majority of artists only have one great song in them.

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

his 3 newest albums are worth picking up

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  17. Sean Sandoval

Sean Sandoval Senior Member

Live after Secret Samadhi.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Actually there are a lot of the hard rock bands that I loved at a younger age but just can't get my head around anymore.

19. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

pet shop boys after bilingual
    stones after tattoo you
    radiohead after kid a

20. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I agree. Though i would pick up Tom Petty's Wildflowers. Essential.

BluesOvertookMe and Kermit27 like this.
  21. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Elvis Costello.

I love everything he did up to & including All This Useless Beauty. When I Was Cruel is also am album I enjoy.
    I also Elvis live more than any other artist. I even travelled to other cities to see him live. My love for Elvis's music new no bounds.

Painted From Memory was the first sign of trouble.

I have not been able to enjoy anything from North onwards. He now sounds more like a parody of himself.
    The Delivery Man was his lowest point; I consider it his Red Rose Speedway.

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Well put.

I've always felt like this, but I've always been critical. As a teenager, I sensed T.Rex were already finished when I first heard Tanx and then Bowie when I heard Rebel Rebel and Diamond Dogs. I just moved on. There were so many new things to discover at that age. But I figured my view on all this was often too negative a sentiment to voice publicly. Only friends would understand. And these days I want to concentrate on what I do like, not what I don't like. People get something from music I find boring, then that's their gain but not my loss.

Bosch likes this.
  23. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Just about every heavy metal band except for early Black Sabbath.

24. DumbMagician

DumbMagician Forum Resident

I get this, but no love for Amnesiac?

stef1205 likes this.
  25. Sean Sandoval

Sean Sandoval Senior Member

In Rainbows was not too shabby either. Not greatness but still decent!

Gavinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.