Help! problems with 60's turntable/radio cabinet

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinyl13, Sep 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl13

vinyl13 Forum Resident Thread Starter

my friend found an old entertainment system consisting of a am/fm radio and turntable that they have had for a couple years but recently it hasn't been giving any signs of power.

2. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

3. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

If your friend wants to learn how to service old gear like this, joining the forums at antiqueradios.com would be a good way to go.

vinyl13 and RDriftwood like this.
  4. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

The most important question: is it worth fixing? There's lots of old equipment out there that was cheap crap back in the day. If this is a Fisher tube console, for example, it's worth some effort. If it's a Soundesign, maybe not so much.

5. vinyl13

I just signed up and which category do you think I should put this in

6. vinyl13

It is a large Pencrest cabinet.

7. vinyl13

I also have the original schematics if that could be any help

8. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Electrical/Mechanical Restoration looks like a good one. The more information you can provide, the better. Do include the model number. I am no expert on this stuff but there are definitely some people on that forum who know a great deal.

I remember Penncrest was JC Penney's store brand. From looking around the Web it appears these units may have been made for them by Magnavox and if this one is really 60s vintage it may well be worth the trouble of restoring.

9. vinyl13

On the turntable 777 is printed on it and it is a tube model

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Penncrest in that era was not made by Magnavox. It would have most likely been made by a manufacturer of private label electronics in the USA, like Warwick or Wells-Gardner. I suspect this console is manufactured by Wells-Gardner and the record changer is sourced from V-M Corporation aka The Voice Of Music, most likely the Penncrest branded variant. In the VM 1200 series.

11. vinyl13

Do you know if it is worth fixing?

12. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

13. vinyl13

Does anybody know how to tell If a fuse Is bad on tube model or anything else that could happen to a stereo of this age that would cause it not to work?

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'm gonna go out on a limb and state that a Penncrest console is not worth restoring, or even repairing. You don't want to put good records on an old VM changer with a ceramic cartridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.