Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Because it's never too early to get the ball rolling...

The good folks at Rolling Stone offered a preview of things to come in future BS volumes:

The Cutting Edge is the third Bootleg Series collection released in the past two years, following Another Self Portrait and The Basement Tapes Complete — and the Dylan camp is nowhere near done raiding the vaults. "We've always wanted to do one of pre-album stuff where Bob is just singing songs in Greenwich Village coffeehouses," says the Dylan source. "We'd also love to revisit Blood on the Tracks, Infidels, Oh Mercy and the gospel albums."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...s-bootleg-series-trove-20150924#ixzz3mfAMXTnK

2. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Doing your due dilligence, sir. :D

beneta and DeeThomaz like this.
  3. DeeThomaz

Two things stand out:

1. Oh Mercy? Again? Stunned. But there is that very enticing early version of "TV Talking Song" that I've been dying to hear.

2. Is it realistic for them to do that "coffeehouse" set? Didn't they lose the copyright to all his pre-62 unreleased recordings (at least in the EU) ? Sure they can issue it, but nothing would prevent a European label from immediately cloning it, as I understand.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Bootleg Series 7 feels like a waste now, so much of it has been duplicated elsewhere (even though two of its tracks were already previous releases!)

The new Vol. 12 was in the works for a while, about three years ago they said they were prepping a catch-all of this era for hardcore collectors, but it took this long to get it out. Don't forget, they mentioned the Supper Club shows too, so that's probably been worked on - whether it's been shelved or almost ready for release, who knows.

Really, they have like a bunch of projects on the back burners, they just keep changing their minds of what to put out next, and it can take many years and many configurations to get it out. Deluxe editions of Oh Mercy and BOTT predate Chronicles, and BOTT sessions were even announced as Vol. 11 and then they changed their minds and did the Basement Tapes. It's impossible to predict, even they don't know for sure what they're putting out next.

5. therebelsell

therebelsell Forum Resident

It looks like the release of this era, 1965-1966, might have something to do with copyright? They're getting every studio recording from that era released within the 50 year cut-off.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Now they should "reissue" the Copyright Collections from the previous 3 years, so ordinary people can buy a hard copy instead of going to torrent downloads

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Which 50-year cut-off? In the EU it's now 70 years for sound recordings that aren't yet in the public domain, in the US it's even longer if I'm not mistaken.

8. slane

slane Forum Resident

Unreleased recordings are only 50 years, released recordings get 70.

Mylene and therebelsell like this.
  9. therebelsell

therebelsell Forum Resident

Did it change recently? I thought that was the reason for the Beatles 1963 recordings coming out a couple years ago.

10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, everything from 1962 went PD. After that, released recordings got a 20 year extension (making those 70 years).

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A few years ago the EU extended its copyright protection to 70 years for sound recordings that weren't yet in the public domain, with a few exceptions. It has been discussed extensively elsewhere on this board.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  12. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Whatever it is I hope its a modest release where I don't feel like I'm missing out because I can only afford the 'cheap' version.:(

13. wanderer1

wanderer1 Forum Resident

So basically we have 2 in a row with virtually every take recorded during the sessions, and vol.10 was pretty thorough as well. They started with broad overviews and now getting specific, aimed at collectors and completists. I guess eventually every last take will come out. This is one of his most popular eras but I was hoping for something a bit more off the beaten path like the 80's where the outtakes could help raise the profile of those albums. Are they releasing these things annually now? That would be nice.

mando_dan, bonus and warewolf95 like this.
  14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Stunned and thrilled to see them mention Infidels AND Oh Mercy as possible candidates for "deep dive" BS sets. BOTT and the Gospel sets we've known about, and I'm sure we'll get them, but very excited about an Infidels set. Although, I'd rather have them do a bigger "Tell Tale Signs" job on the entire post-Christian era (1982-1988), and the UTRS / covers albums / Bromberg era (1990-1993).
    Yeah, that was a shocker, after it was covered pretty well -- but not perfectly -- by BS8: TTS. I'd buy a "Complete Sessions" box of that in a heartbeat. Love everything about those sessions. However, Dee, the early version of "TV Talking Song" (the booted one) was from the UTRS sessions. I don't think there was an Oh Mercy version -- but I could be wrong. If there was, it's certainly never been leaked.
    Yeah, not sure about that one. It'd be cool if they did release it -- copyrights be damned! -- but I'd rather see a comprehensive "Live 1963" set. They protected all that stuff, but now it's spread out over a half-dozen different releases. Put it all together!

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

37 discs!!?

Are they having a laugh?

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  16. DeeThomaz

I know and love the outtake to which you're referring. But Heylin mentioned an earlier Oh Mercy version in his Still On The Road book. I haven't stopped drooling since I heard his description.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    Sean Murdock likes this.
  17. Sean Murdock

What exactly are you referring to?

18. Sean Murdock

Ah, well ... I'd sure like to hear that too! :righton:

19. DeeThomaz

Heylin on the early "TV Talkin' Song":

“Hard evidence that Dylan had been sketching out the song in his mind for a while is found on a “live” two-track recording of the song made not in L.A. but in New Orleans, back in March 1989, that was under consideration for Tell Tale Signs. Though there is no version of the song on the Oh Mercy multitracks, this prototype “TV Talkin’ Song” was no impromptu improvisation. Dylan worked on the song long enough to get a full version, and the vocal he unleashes is probably his scariest since “Black Cross” in 1961. What is entirely absent is the Speakers’ Corner setting, which may be the result of Dylan’s time in London in February 1990. In 1989, the man “on a platform” resembles the figure in Renaldo and Clara declaiming about how “everything you say to a man of God you say direct to God.” A number of lines, however, do survive to the red sky sessions, including the image of shooting the TV out, à la Elvis, and something proximate to the damning couplet in the initial red sky version, “Puts a [brain] inside your eye, and penetrates your skull / Lays an egg inside your head”

Commence your own drooling, @Sean Murdock

Excerpt From: Clinton Heylin. “Still On the Road.” iBooks. https://itun.es/us/0lqjy.l

20. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

From 2014:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ries-eyeing-blood-on-the-tracks-next-20140123

The final album is a mixture of New York and Minneapolis sessions. Some of the tracks that didn't make the LP have been bootlegged, but much remains in the vault.
    "During the first couple of days in New York, Bob played the songs solo on acoustic guitar," says the source. "They're very different than anything that's been heard before and they're very special."

And:
    Another project that's been in the works for years is a documentary about The Rolling Thunder Revue
    The Toronto stop on Bob Dylan's 1980 gospel tour was also professionally filmed. Other shows on the gospel tour were professionally recorded.

John Bliss and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Just speculating in a speculation thread.

22. DeeThomaz

I HAVE to think the Blood on the Tracks sessions set (perhaps expanded to encompass a larger period, like '73-78) is next in line. We've been teased with the possibility for several years now.

23. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Yes and always blocked for one reason or another (copyright, other similar releases). Be prepared for it to happen again if they decide to go with an expanded 1966 tour release.

24. DeeThomaz

That's certainly plausible (particularly since Vol 12 doesn't include ANY live material, contrary to expectations). But it's hard for me to imagine they'll tap the same period two years in a row (albeit live, not studio), particularly when there is already a Bootleg Series devoted to the tour. We'll see!

hoover537 likes this.
  25. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Yeah, plus there's hardly any setlist or song arrangement variation to the 1966 concerts which doesn't really make it appealing except for Bob nuts. However, they could probably make an interesting 3-4 disc representation along with a DVD/Blu Ray of the Pennebaker footage. Plus do another limited 18 cd set of more concerts and probably sell well.

Mike Bass and DeeThomaz like this.