Distribution Denied! 25 Films You Can’t Get on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lbangs, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I would almost bet the 1981 movie "Fat Chance" has never been on DVD and probably never will. I watched this on HBO when I was a kid. I would love to see this movie again. Also, Modern Problems (1981) needs another DVD reissue as well. I like those tacky movies from that time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080721/

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Don't you mean mockumentary, comedy? It got announced for DVD about 10-15 years ago but never materialized. It's surely in rights hell. There's clip from about 90 films. I watch it on Laserdisc every now and then.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

You're welcome. I linked to the DVD on Amazon, but once again the forum's VigLink malware redirected it to this ebay listing. Since "serial" isn't a very good search term by itself, you can find it at Amazon by using the ASIN as a search term instead: B0019UGYCI.

I've never seen the DVD - I still have the old Paramount laserdisc and never got around to upgrading. Not sure why, as I've always been a fan of the film and IIRC the LD is pan-and-scan.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Those "clip show" compilations are a nightmare to license. I did one back in 1984, Terror in the Aisles, but the producer told me they went to the mat to make sure they cleared everything for home video in advance. As a result, they had to drop several dozen clips they wanted to use, but couldn't. It also took them five or six attempts to get an "R" rating. The first few attempts got an X (NC-17) because even though all the movies excerpted were rated R, the MPAA kept ruling that the "intensity" and "frequency" of the clips were excessive and upsetting. (!!!)

Rachael Bee, sunspot42 and hi_watt like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

House Of Numbers...

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

But why would it be any different that other movies at the time that used period-pop music?

EDIT: looks like you can watch the entire movie on YouTube, awesome!

7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Angelo, My Love still seems to be M.I.A.
    Robert Duvall should be proud of that film.

g.z. likes this.
  8. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Purple Haze (1982)

onanboy likes this.
  9. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I saw Terror in the Isles in the theater back when it was released. I just played the bluray a few months ago for my kids (it's an extra on the Halloween 2 set). I always wondered why some movies mentioned in the ending credits were not actually included (Dawn of the Dead for example). Now I know. I would like to see the original edit.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I figured because Springsteen wrote the title track.

SamS likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, they kept changing and changing and changing the edit, and I think the credits didn't always get updated. The post crew on that show were wrung through the wringer.

12. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Did this get a VHS release? I vaguely remember noticing it in stores in the late 80s.

13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I wonder if it would work as part of an updated version of "The Six Million Dollar Man" that is more in keeping with the original novel ("Cyborg" by Martin Caidin). In the novel Steve Austin's abilities are much more realistic (as an example, his replacement eye doesn't see but functions as a camera, and while his new limbs are stronger he is limited by the strength of his remaining human body), and a combination of this with "Search" featuring an agent with a realistically enhanced body might work.

14. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

VHS and Laserdisc.

15. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I know that it was on German VHS. I have the Japanese Laserdisc.

16. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

How bout "When you comin' back red ryder?",I remember seeing this in the late 70s on cable quite a bit,don't look like it's ever been released.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I think there's a general fear that, if re-released, someone will poke their eye out with the disc.

amonjamesduul likes this.
  19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Olive Films has announced a January release of SERIAL on Blu-ray:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Serial-Blu-ray/102172/

20. onanboy

onanboy Forum Resident

Used to be that you could get a copy of a dvd directly from the director supposedly made from his 1/2" master. Anyway, this is one of my favorite movies of all time. I think I saw it late night on HBO back not long after it came out. As for a synopsis, take one part Catcher in the Rye, one part sex and drugs, bundle it all up in the backdrop of the 60's in America and smear with the best use of cool sixties music ever used in an American movie. It has no menus, no chapters, no surround sound, and the encode rate is pretty poor. I still strongly recommend it despite all of that. That is how much I love this movie. I am not sure how I feel about the actors but I really care about the characters so that must mean I like the writing and the actors. I even like the direction and camera work. I have never warmed to the editing and told the director when I bought the disc from him. He sent a note to me with my disc which I have included.

[​IMG]

g.z. likes this.
  21. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:righton: I knew I would hear from someone that saw this movie.
    I saw it at my local movie theater when it came out and it stuck
    with me. I also saw it later on HBO late night and never saw it
    on cable (or TV) again.
    It would be a big and expensive undertaking to obtain music licensing
    for this film today. It's a great movie. I loved it.
    I never knew about the director offering DVD copies.
    If I had I definitely would have tried to obtain one. :cool:

22. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

If I would have known that 'Ben' had issues I would have asked more for the advanced screener I just sold on ebay last week. Found 2 advance screeners at the same shop...now I'm armed with new info to put in the description of the next one I put up on ebay.

There are so many movies that are held up because of music rights. My question is how did they get around it in the first place when the films were originally released? I'm assuming you still had t get clearance before releasing a film with music from "original" artists. Am I wrong in that assumption?

23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Smithereens 1982 - street life for young rockers living in the early 80's in New York City..Richard Hell has a role.

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Duffy

60's Coburn caper with major input from Donald Cammell

25. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Marvel Superheroes Cartoons from the 60's are not available here in the US. They have been available in the UK for probably around 10 years. It's just one other thing that Disney has no idea what to do with. There first business of order when they bought Marvel was to release the 90's Iron Man Cartoon from the "Marvel Action Hour" on DVD. Really??!!?? I have them on the UK DVD's and they are great...but could use better prints on a couple of episodes and they need to find the opening sequence of the show that was an amalgam of all 5 characters in a 30 second spot. They also need to put out Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends on DVD. It's Disney...so I won't hold my breath.

PhantomStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.