Forget CDs — streaming music now makes more money for the U.S. record industry

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robin L, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Because you love your music?

Right now I'm trying to get out a scratch from an audio CD so I can securely rip the damn thing. Then that secure rip is getting backed up. Twice. I know this is a rare occurrence with CD's if you take care of them, but it can and does happen.

Physical product can have issues - they can get scratches and skips, they can be lost or be destroyed in a natural disaster. Best we can do is make backups and keep those backups safe somewhere....just in case.

2. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more.

I watch a guy, about my age, sell his CD collection in a used store about 2 weeks ago, "because everyone just downloads music anyway. I'll just rebuy what I want from iTunes."

He's going to repurchase the music? Why? He owns it! And he's selling it for a tiny fraction.

I looked through his stuff as the store ready a price quote. He had some nice early 80s metal/nwobhm.

Oh...and he looked heartbroken.

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That just seems foolish. I hope there was some extenuating circumstance that made it necessary. If he was just doing it because of trends, I can't understand that. Lose/lose every way.

Shak Cohen, ShawnX and nbakid2000 like this.
  4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Big surprise. They get more money per song on downloads with an overhead that is a pittance compared to what it was before downloads.
    No manufacturing costs, no distribution costs to speak of, no salesmen out dealing with jobbers and wholesalers.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It is foolish, but I see it all the time on ebay. Nice collections and they sell them for peanuts. Some of that early 80s metal could be worth a small fortune. Was the store honest with him? Did they know themselves?

6. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I bought a couple of MFSL CDs for $5 each from a local flea market. The guy obviously didn't know what they were worth as it was priced the same as his other CDs. I actually told him that they are worth a lot more than what he was asking and I don't know if he thought I was messing with him but he snarkly replied "mate, you're welcome to pay me more if you want to".

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Strangely enough, I don't feel sorry for that guy. Probably a small time dealer, as the original owners would know its not a regular release.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  8. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

No thank you, I will not "forget" CDs. Obviously this is becoming the inevitable outcome of mass consumer stupidity but I won't be a part of it. Why in the world anyone would pay to rent music in this fashion is beyond me but if this is what the labels are force feeding people, I'm not biting. I love my CD's and my records and will continue to pay for physical media until there isn't anything new left. And then I'll just enjoy what I have, and look to the past for new music if I need to, I am not concerned in the least about it.

-Richard

9. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I'm not going to forget CDs because I can't stop buying them: yesterday, I got 4 new ones: "Morrison Hotel" (1970), "Tres Hombres" (1973), "Making Movies" (1980) and "Back to Black" (2006) + another one coming from Amazon: "Mr. & Mss Jones" (Billy Paul).
    I'm not concerned about downloads and all that.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I don't get this bit. I mean he rip the CDs to his computer and put them in storage. Maybe he felt the resale value will continue to plummet, but it really can't go any lower, and I see plenty of people buying rare CDs online to be convinced that values for some items could increase in the longer term.

Shak Cohen, ShawnX and nbakid2000 like this.
  11. kwf

kwf Forum Resident

What is your plan in the event of fire, flood or theft? That could get messy...

12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I might have said the same thing to you in that circumstance. Maybe he knew they were worth more and didn't care or maybe not everyone selling CDs at a flea market wants to be an expert on the things.

13. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Attitudes and actions like this show me this guy, and others like him, don't give a hoot about a particular pressing. A small percentage, very small indeed, are like many here in that they CARE deeply about peculiarities of dynamic range and eq'ing of various issues of cd's. With that, personally I have MANY specific pressings I wouldn't even chance losing in 'trading' for a download or streaming or whatever outside of MY control. It's not being anal, just discriminate as many on this forum are. There are some here who are like the above mentioned....don't give a hoot about specific issues/reissues and that's a shame on a forum dedicated to 'seeking out the best sounding' item.

The hunt is so much more interesting and rewarding when looking for cd's that are unique and prefered over just any ole cd/download/stream of that music.

Shak Cohen and ShawnX like this.
  14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I wouldn't say that person doesn't care. Probably ignorant of mastering differences. Most people who have sold off their collection have either transferred it to a file based system or are downsizing/moving abroad. Simply getting rid of it because "nobody buys CDs these days" makes no sense. I think they will live to regret their decision, especially if modern mastering is no good, and buy back their collection probably at inflated prices.

15. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I've ripped all my CDs as these days I listen to music through my streamer. I still have most of my CDs though, stored away with my LPs. Given they (the CDs) are quite compact, I don't understand why people don't just hang on to them.

16. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Sure, I just wanted to buy it with a clear conscience - the guy looked like a battler.

troggy likes this.
  17. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

To me, it demonstrates the power of "going along with the pack". People really really badly want to conform to the will of want they think will "win". Very odd.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Hand a 2 TB hard drive to a 12 year old the have them download your whole collection and much more for nothing. Hell, have him throw some movies on there too. Even a couple that haven't hit the theater yet.

Robin L likes this.
  19. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Billions of downloads BUT still no liner-notes/artwork on most releases. It must be the measly added expense or record industry types don't know how to use a scanner, I give up.

Robin L likes this.
  20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore Thread Starter

Too true.

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Before I switch to streaming... I stop listening to music!!!

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore Thread Starter

I dunno . . . first turned on to music via the moral equivalent of streaming, top 40. We will survive.

Juan Matus likes this.
  23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It's simple really...I pay a few bucks a month to gain access to MILLIONS of albums to see if I want to purchase a physical copy. Not too hard a concept to grasp.

zongo likes this.
  24. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

Or maybe simply not everyone needs to try to get top dollar for everything?
    Things are really not worth any particular price per se.

There is a price 95% of people would reasonably pay if they want it.
    Then there is a price those 5% of people that want some particular thing really bad will pay, but you rarely see those 5% people.

You can sale it quickly for a normal amount, or wait maybe weeks for that one person to happen onto it.

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

que sera sera................:shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.