Janet Jackson could be releasing a new album ("Unbreakable") this summer!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

At least I'll be able to listen to it first to see if I want to buy the cd.

2. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

So what did you think? :wave:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Marble Index

Thom likes this.
  4. Marble Index

My favorites so far:

Unbreakable
    The Great Forever
    Shoulda Known Better
    Night
    No Sleeep (but I prefer the version without J. Cole)
    Well Traveled

5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

After listening to this several times as part of my Amazon.com Prime streaming music, I must admit to being pleasantly surprised. Janet Jackson will never be a great vocalist. However, she sounds stronger and more confident here. I love that she's not trying to hard to chase trends (like Madonna or Mariah), and her lyrics have a surprising depth to them. Also, there's no silly interludes nor hypersexualized goings-on! She's managed to make an age-appropriate album without being boring!

I ordered the vinyl from Janet's website -- though the website indicated it was released on October 2nd, the confirmation e-mail states "Your products will ship on or about 12/8/2015."

JohnnyQuest, c-eling and Marble Index like this.
  6. Marble Index

7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Well, I'm not much of a fan and it just sounded like the same old same old to me. I didn't play it all, but heard enough to know it's not one I want to add to my collection.:)

Marble Index likes this.
  8. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

He listens to Donny Osmond & Captain and Tenille.

Marble Index likes this.
  9. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

What, no (Muskrat) love for the Captain and Tennille? ;)
    As for Janet, I would not have expected all the love from the media: LA Times; New York Times; Entertainment Weekly; Spin; Complex; Chicago Tribune; Boston Globe... all complimentary. It's very cool. Janet deserves a bit of love. :)

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  10. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

It's predicted to debut at #1 guys :edthumbs:

Marble Index, Thom and JohnnyQuest like this.
  11. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I saw that, and I was like, wow cool! :cool: But then I remembered that Discipline also debuted at No. 1. So it's awesome that she's maintained her status, but yeah: I think a No. 1 debut is almost to be expected for Janet. That said, it's still an achievement to hit No. 1 at this point in her career. Madonna's Rebel Heart came in at No. 2, for example. But the sales total should be telling: Discipline sold 181 000 in its first week, so it would be cool if Unbreakable tops that tally.

Marble Index and SITKOL'76 like this.
  12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Janet hitting #1 would be much more impressive than Madonna because Madonna hasn't had quite the career slump that Janet has had.

Thom likes this.
  13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Sometimes it is absolutely spooky how much she can sound like her brother! Having said that I would go to a Jackson 5 concert in a heartbeat with Janet singing Michael's songs and hers.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  14. JohnnyQuest

I doubt she'll even do half that. It's 2015 Thom. She'll be lucky if her album goes gold. :sigh:

Thom likes this.
  15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

True. If she can debut at No. 1 and sell ~100k, I think that would be a win for Team Janet. :) Even if sales fall off totally in week two and the album doesn't even attain gold sales, at least she showed she can still top the chart, and she had a few nice reviews from major newspapers/publications. The album's already had more buzz than Discipline or 20 Y.O. ever did. And at least people are talking about her seriously (unlike certain veteran pop stars we both know). :sigh:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  16. Marble Index

Oh...

[​IMG]

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I've only listened to it once so far but my first impression is that I like it much more than her last few albums. I'll have to give it a second listen later today.

18. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

It sounded pretty good to me as well. I wish performers could embrace their age, but I guess you always have to reach down toward s younger demographic.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't think that's as bad as the Britney clip because at least Mariah's "vocals" sound kinda almost sorta live - the Britney "vocals" are so obviously pre-recorded that they're a disaster.

In other words, you have to watch Mariah to have it be obvious she's lip-synching - just listening to the Britney vocals makes it clear they're canned...

20. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Upon listening to most of the album, the only real memorable thing to me is that the older Janet gets, the more she sounds like Michael. None of the songs are really memorable. The only one coming close for me would be "The Great Forever."

21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

22. Marble Index

I've seen a lot of people say she sounds so much like Michael on this album. I can't hear it. Any songs in particular or just all over? :wave:

23. Marble Index

Glamorous? :winkgrin:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

Very enchanting. :love:

Marble Index likes this.
  25. Marble Index

I think of that as slutty-Janet. :love:

JohnnyQuest likes this.