New Dead Weather album, Dodge and Burn, releasing 25 September.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kurtphyre, Sep 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Got my vinyl copy today and while I've not had a chance to spin it yet, I've listen to the MP3 and like some others must say this is possibly their best yet. It just sound so much more assured than the other 2 and that closing track, sound like mixture of ELO & Abba with a touch of Bond theme thrown in for good measure.

Look forward to spinning this tomorrow.

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Did you notice that when you open the record jacket, it makes a noise like an elephant? Also, did you notice the hidden track on the label of side 2?

3. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I really loved this album. I didn't like their previous ones (except for that 'I Cut Like a Buffalo' track) but for some reason I gave them another chance and they did it! Still not so sure about the singer though... A part of me do like her but sometimes I feel like she's overdoing her 'rock attitude'.

4. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

OK, I rather enjoyed that. I've refused to watch the show since Letterman left, it looks weird where the desk is set up...

Anyway, I like the Dead Weather kids now. I appreciate that sound.

Interesting lyric:

What does the black top know that I have not cracked
    With my mind?

I feel love every million miles.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You are NOT talking about Alison M., are you? I haven't heard this record but I absolutely LOVE The Kills!!!!!

6. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Every copy of the Olivia Jean album has that, unfortunately (at least, I assume). I returned one when I got that, and the second one had it in the exact same spot. Others on discogs are complaining about that too. It must've been an imperfect acetate disk it was cut with, or a problem with the plating.

7. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

It's weird in a good way that Alison Mosshart sounds like a female version of Jack White. It's almost as though everyone in the band is an extension of Jack White.

Vinyl_Blues and stef1205 like this.
  8. Kill Uncle Meat

I guess I am, Sir! Not a fan of The Kills either, but I really like their 'Tape Song'.

Neonbeam likes this.
  9. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

How about Discount?

stef1205 and Kill Uncle Meat like this.
  10. Kill Uncle Meat

Hey, I liked that! :righton:

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

OMG....I REALLY need to listen to this album? So Alison M. is now "a female version of Jack White"? Maybe Jack W. is now a male version of Alison Mosshart? Agreed that her singing in The Dead Weather is a bit different than her singing in The Kills but the material is totally different, much more visceral.

To sum this up: I really like JW but I prefer any of The Kills' four albums to any of JW's 1001 albums. And I'm going to revisit the first two Dead Weather albums before I'm going to "research" the new one. It's a new technique to stop myself from buying more new records than I can listen to. If it's a non limited release I'm going to play older releases that I already own first before I buy it. Let's see if it works:):)

12. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

You know the thing Jack White does with his voice that makes him sound like Jack White? Well, that’s what Alison does with her voice. Then the guitar player does the Jack White staccato attack, and the bass player has the Jack White sound, too, from Jack White’s other band… It’s as if Jack White is a giant octopus, extending his tentacles across the entire stage.

They should have called the band the “Jack White Conspiracy” or “Jack is Back,” or simply “The Jack Whites.” But I do like their sound. I’m not trying to be disparaging of them. It’s just a very Jack White thing about their music. They sound like a bunch of Jack Whites. Jack White is on his drum throne, sitting all unassumingly, yet the sonic force of the whole band is totally a Jack White thing.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's blues based rock and roll, and thank God for the few bands that are still doing it. The bass player, Jack Lawrence, sounds like the bass player in The Raconteurs because, well, it's the same guy.

Anyway, the Dead Weather debut at no. 10 on the Billboard charts. That's reassuring.

Socrates and sassi like this.
  14. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Yes I did - heavy bass and drum, then a little chatter - extreme scratchy lofi thou:D

Overall I really like the album. Alison has really taken charge and Jack takes a bit of a back seat, just playing the drums. he tempo is faster and more urgent than the first two albums. Fertita's guitar playing is also a highlight

Even the United pressing is pretty good, if not a Pallas and even comes with a polylined inner sleeve [​IMG]

15. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

of course

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I would have never heard the elephant sound, as I often leave my albums sealed. But I opened this one up, and was like, "whoa!"

17. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Is it just for the Vault release or standard, as well?

18. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

I know what you mean, had 2 bad copies of the recent repress of "Sea of Cowards", lots of little surface inclusions on the vinyl surface, and the latest "Dodge & Burn" was warped badly enough to make a thump noise each time round.

19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Digging this record more than the last Jack White solo.

20. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Just finished this one streaming on Amazon Prime music. This is what a modern rocking album should sound like on CD. Then I realized it was a Jack White band...go figure...thanks Jack! :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.