This Is England

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vinyl anachronist, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Don't give too much away:shh:

2. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Spent a large part of today bingewatching 86, 88 and the first episode of 90. I loved the film. Being able to return to these characters' lives again at later times is just wonderful. Amazing show.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  3. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Big feature length finale tonight, will you be caught up in time to watch it?

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I really enjoyed the original film. Is there any way to watch the TV series in the US?

5. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Maybe Netflix?

86 and 88 are out on DVD.

6. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

This is actually one of my favorite films of all time. It doesn't get more English than this. I mean the real England not the The Queen and all that rubbish. The acting is so raw and the music fits perfectly. Probably watched it over 10 times. I have a copy of the soundtrack and listen to it from time to time.

The series was great but not as fast paced. Never the less it was equally moving!

OobuJoobu likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I seen it in a theatre and the staff was aghast and rightly so.

8. BLUESJAZZMAN

Really? Why was that?

9. BLUESJAZZMAN

Yep...Seen Dead Mans Shoes. Very good!

10. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

michanes, Hexwood and Halfwit like this.
  11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

No other film (and/or accompanying TV series) is as loved by my own household as this (that's me, my wife, and our 18 year old daughter).

There's film and TV series that each of us prefer (though not by much), but overall, nothing has engrossed our whole house as much as This Is England in its various forms.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

It's a version of England that isn't seen too much on television or in film and often when it is, it's something that just ticks off the generic tropes. I like Leigh's stuff, though I find some of the representation of middle and working class just a shade removed from what you see in early Carry Ones to be honest. Of this genre and speaking reasonably recently, Paddy Considine's Tyrannosaur's a good film, if a little grim and I enjoy Ken Loach's Sweet Sixteen and I, Daniel Blake.

13. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Not sure what Shane Meadows tapped into with the movie and the TV series but I can say that I identify with it. Whatever it is, it's brilliant. I don't think I've ever been as moved (in all directions) with any other TV series.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  14. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Always meant to watch this when it was available to stream. Now it's long gone and the NTSC version is now $80+ on Amazon. Gotta love it.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  15. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

$6.87 plus $3.99 shipping for the Region B Blu-ray on Amazon. One of many, many reasons to escape the shackles of region-based tyranny with a region-free player. :)

manicpopthrill likes this.
  16. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

TIE is a phenomenal film and television series. There are so many powerful and moving scenes, but the one that sticks out for me is when Combo walks into the house when the gang are hanging out. Vicky McClure is one of Britain's best actresses. She deserves more film roles.

I also recommend watching Dead Man's Shoes and Somers Town.

I bought his BBC collection a few years ago. It was money well spent. Hard Labour is well worth a watch.

michanes, Linto and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.