Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I haven't read the whole thread, but I think it's significant only Flowers has been announced, rather than two titles.

I think this may well indicate the Flowers release will be a large set, similar to the Ram or Wings Over America boxes.

I suspect it will contain the 2 Tripping The Live Fantastic CDs, probably a replica programme for the 1990 world tour, and I suspect the DVD will include the 'Put It There documentary' and 'Get Back' tour film.

theMess and OobuJoobu like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

There could be some bonus live tracks of Flowers In The Dirt songs, but I doubt they will include the whole Tripping The Live Fantastic CDs within this upcoming Flowers set. There is enough potential bonus material without adding in a double live album too.

theMess, mrjinks, JimC and 1 other person like this.
  3. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I think it would make sense to include Tripping in a deluxe set of Flowers, because the tour and album are linked; and I don't think there would be much interest in a separate release of the live album - similar, in a way, to how Thrillington was only included in the Ram deluxe set.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Of course it could happen. But I personally think not. Thrillington was an obscure album, not a major release---and it is an instrumental version of the whole Ram album. So that fits. In contrast, Tripping The Live Fantastic is a complete career overview including loads of Beatles songs, completely unrelated to Flowers In The Dirt.

But we have at least 6-12 months to ponder what indeed will be on it.

heatherly and theMess like this.
  5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I take your point - we shall see!

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  6. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I hope not!
    Even when it came out in 1990, that 2nd disc from the Japanese set was so incomplete (no "Flying To My Home", no "Good Sign", no "The First Stone", no "Figure Of Eight" 7" version...).

Shak Cohen, theMess, mrjinks and 2 others like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Agreed. So that's why we need a THIRD disc too in order to get many of those extra songs.

theMess likes this.
  8. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Those extra tracks from the "FITD" sessions would fit perfectly on the 2nd disc from the Japanese set. Let's keep the third disc for either the remixes and/or a few demos.

Shak Cohen, theMess and mrjinks like this.
  9. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Maybe it will depend on whether they try and market this release along the lines of "this is where Paul was at during the Flowers In The Dirt era of his life" in terms of being ready to fully embrace his past on stage for the first time, and indeed seeing the first time many of those classic Beatles songs had been performed on stage by their creator, in which in case it could be a great selling point for the release to include "Tripping". I'd be quite keen for it to happen, so long as it's not at the expense of a disc of other studio/demo material of the era.

heatherly and theMess like this.
  10. Calico

Calico Senior Member

"Tripping The Live Fantastic" has enough potential bonus tracks (released on the various CD singles from the album) that it deserves a reissue of its own.
    Those tracks include : "Birthday", "Good Day Sunshine", "PS Love Me Do", "Let 'Em In", "All My Trials", "C Moon" and the Lennon medley.

Ken.e., rstamberg, theMess and 2 others like this.
  11. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

But, but...that would be too many bonus tracks. We don't want to take away focus on the album proper. Remember, these archive sets are for reassessing Paul McCartney's albums not slogging through countless demos and outtakes, and b sides. No real fans want that stuff anyway. There will be plenty of opportunity for those misguided fans when the mythical box sets begin to appear after the archive series concludes in 2030.

theMess likes this.
  12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I agree it deserves it, but I'm far from convinced it will get it. I think the market for such a release might be too limited.

13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'd be disappointed if they included anything from Tripping too. There is too much to mine from without going there. And as stated above, Tripping already has a good number of potential bonus tracks. Good Day Sunshine, PS Love Me Do, Let 'Em In, All My Trials, C Moon, Mull Of Kintyre, the Lennon Medley, plus Coming Up and Birthday from the Knebworth compilation (which I believe is now on iTunes, btw) 9 tracks, 43 minutes. I'd much rather see that happen. Coming soon, 2065

14. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Include the "From Rio To Liverpool" documentary on a DVD or Blu-Ray, and now that becomes a great set!
    (I can do without the disappointin "Get Back" film).

forthlin and theMess like this.
  15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I wish all the videos in these sets were on Blu-ray. Blu-ray should now be the standard format for every new release.

16. bward

bward Senior Member

Is it possible they could pair up Flowers with a remastered and deluxe Tripping, without including Tripping on the Coming Soon card?

I know that'd make our heads explode, but that's possible, isn't it?

17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

A FITD box-set would be a great opportunity for Paul to make a mini-documentary, discussing what it was like to return to touring for the first time since Lennon's death, on what was his first solo tour. It doesn't seem to be something that he has discussed as often as his 1976 Wings tour, so he may have a few new observations to make regarding that time.

The mini-doc could also contain live footage of the FITD songs that he played on that tour, without the annoying 'Get Back' edits.

18. Arnold Grove

The Coming Soon cards never lie. They speak the truth. So I would bet it will be Flowers In The Dirt next and only Flowers In The Dirt (in various deluxe editions).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Sean, theMess and bward like this.
  19. bward

bward Senior Member

But what if they break format?

20. Arnold Grove

The only way they could break format is if they really did "Come Soon", meaning in less than 6 months!

supermd, mrjinks, joeislive and 2 others like this.
  21. Calico

Calico Senior Member

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

23. Calico

Calico Senior Member

It worked for five minutes, then it was instantly removed by Soundcloud... :-(

theMess likes this.
  24. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I did raise that with Concord on twitter in March 2012:

@concordrecords Hi all. Just wondered when the next McCartney reissue is? You should include 5.1 Blu Rays in all the future ones

Concord Music Group‏@ConcordRecords 6 Mar 2012
    @psoper007 Probably sometime this summer. We'll make an announcement soon. Thanks for the Blu-Ray suggestion ;-)

theMess likes this.
  25. Beatlemania 22

Beatlemania 22 Forum Resident

I think that all of the McCartney sets should include a 5.1 mix of the album on dvd like Deep Purple, Genesis and Yes albums had.
    Especially on albums like Press To Play, and here's my version (again) of the deluxe album because someone mentioned it before in this thread (you can add Once Upon A Long Ago but I did it on FITD and I think the song could be switched from PTP to FITD however Back On My Feet can't be because it was written with Costello).
    The last time in the FITD deluxe I forgot about Ou Est Le Soleil (disconet mix), demo of You Want Her Too, very rare promo instrumental of Good Sign and the Once Upon A Long Ago video on the DVD also I spelled Twenty FINE Fingers wrong.

Disc 1 (Remastered Album)
    1.Stranglehold
    2.Good Times Coming/Feel The Sun
    3.Talk More Talk
    4.Footprints
    5.Only Love Remains
    6.Press
    7.Pretty Little Head
    8.Move Over Busker
    9.Angry
    10.However Absurd

Disc 2 (Bonus Audio)
    1.Spies Like Us (orignal version)
    2.Spies Like Us (DJ Edit)
    3.Press (video edit)
    4.Write Away
    5.Tough On A Tightrope
    6.It's Not True (single version)
    7.Press (10"mix)
    8.Hanglide
    9.Pretty Little Head (7"mix)
    10.Only Love Remains (7"mix)
    11.Simple As That

Disc 3 (Remixes from singles)
    1.Press (Dub Mix)
    2.Its Not True (12" mix)
    3.Pretty Little Head (12"mix)
    4.Spies Like Us (alternate mix also known to his friends as Tom)
    5.Spies Like Us (party mix)
    6.Angry (remix)
    7.Talk More Talk (12"remix)
    8.My Carnival (Party mix)
    9.Tough On A Tightrope (12" extended mix)

Disc 4 (Early mix of the album plus some demos)
    1.Stranglehold (early take)
    2.Good Times Coming/Feel The Sun (early unedited take)
    3.Talk More Talk (early take)
    4.Footprints (early take)
    5.Only Love Remains (early take)
    6.Press (alternate take)
    7.Pretty Little Head (early take)
    8.Move Over Busker (early take)
    9.Angry (early take)
    10.However Absurd (early take)
    11.Write Away (early take)
    12.It's Not True (early take)
    13.Tough On A Tightrope (early take)
    14.Yvonne (demo)
    15.Spies Like Us (demo)
    16.Spies Like Us (early take)
    17.Only Love Remains (TV performance)
    18.Talk More Talk (demo)
    19.Stranglehold (early take with overdubs)

Disc 5 (DVD)

Music Videos:
    1.Stranglehold
    2.Press
    3.Pretty Little Head
    4.Spies Like Us

5.1 surround mix
    The 1986 Paul McCartney special
    Only Love Remains (TV Performance)

And again we have a great and complete box set :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015