Poll--The Weakest Link: HEY JUDE, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Hey Jude & ISHKB voted off.....

2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

The first two don't belong here

Big Pasi and JimC like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Old Brown Shoe and TBOJ&Y are the two that sound the least like Beatles tracks to me and the two I will vote off. Won't mind if they stick around awhile to save me from having to vote for anything else.

Kind of odd they did not put A Hard Days Night on this, which never wound up on a Capitol album until 62-66

4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Like everything here, but there is not question at all for me that my two least favorite songs from this album are Old Brown Shoe and Don't Let Me Down.

5. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

Fair enough.

JcS

6. Joey Self

I Should Have Let Me Down.

JcS

7. John54

John54 Senior Member

That's a strong lineup. I voted for Old Brown Shoe and Ballad of John and Yoko. Next up will be Can't Buy Me Love and Hey Jude. After that, it becomes exceedingly difficult.

8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

14 votes for "Rain" :crazy:

Aftermath and Big Pasi like this.
  9. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

There are no weak links on this album. It is a wonderful experience from beginning to end.

10. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

:thumbsup:

11. Lady Madonna
    Old Brown Shoe

This was on one of my dad's old tapes with Revolver on the other side. I've played that tape to death.

12. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It's just that the 64 songs to me sound more dated than all the others (including 66-68). There could have been "The Inner Light" and "You Know My Name" on this album too, but not "Misery" and "There's A Place" (for example).

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Mind boggling to me that anyone could consider a melodic infectious gem like I Should Have Known Better inferior to Ballad of J&Y. I put it down to blind adherence to the widespread belief that the band improved between 64 and 69. To me the 45 with that and Brown Shoe was their nadir: the most melody free piece of vinyl they ever released.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Doug Sulpy likes this.
  14. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I voted for "Lady Madonna" and "The Ballad Of John And Yoko." Somehow, "Hey Jude" (or, as we knew it in these parts, "The Beatles Again") was a very listenable album - something I can't say about "Past Masters."

15. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Wow! Surprisingly difficult because this is a funky compilation of songs that (IMO) somehow works really well!

Old Brown Shoe
    Don't Let Me Down (probably the only track that will be an easy choice)

16. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

For me, it's fun to look at songs getting the least number of votes in the first round. Now it looks like people around here want Revolution to win over Paperback Writer.

By the way I get the "out of place" argument, but still - Can't Buy Me love with I Should Have Known Better could be my final pair in this game.

17. Joey Self

I think 'I'm Down' would have been a nice add. 'The Inner Light' belonged, since 'Lady Madonna' was here, but I'm not sure it fit.

Btw, 'You Know My Name' still had not been released at the time HEY JUDE came out. It could have debuted on this record, of course. Much like 'The Inner Light', I don't know if it fit--but on the other hand, those two work on PAST MASTERS 2, so maybe so...

JcS

18. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

There is NO WAY "Old Brown Shoe" should hit the road here! Great song! That said, even though this is a "weird" album, it is a fantastic collection of songs. My first exposure to it was via 8-track.

19. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Went with "Can't Buy Me Love" and "Lady Madonna"... Nothing against either though.

20. I voted off "Can't Buy Me Love" and "The Ballad Of John & Yoko".

I like"Can't Buy Me Love", but as someone mentioned, it seems out of place here. "John & Yoko" is my least favorite Beatles song that isn't sung by Ringo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.