What are some competitors to the Oppo 105D?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MonkeyMan, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :laughup:

2. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

One consideration...IMHO Oppo service is second to none.

Bill Mac likes this.
  3. Ok, so all things being equal and you could pick one of two machines, would it be the Oppo 105D or the CA 752BD?
    Every time I lean toward one or the other, I'm back to indecision. But I guess that's par for the course whe you read about them and haven't heard them side by side. It looks like I'm going to have to order both and just decide.

4. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

Problem is ...all things aren't equal!!!

Price, feature sets and SQ are all different to some degree.

Just do what I (and probably quite a few others) did.........Allow for required features...... listen to the contenders and...... trust YOUR ears!!!

Cheers

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So you would sacrifice audio superiority just have video the OP would not use.

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I own the Marantz SA8005 and really like it. I did not think it sounded warm at first but as time marches on it is definitely warm and forgiving. Also very powerful and dynamic.
    However, my preferences have evolved and I am now in the open midrange / high end detail category.
    I can probably get there with tube amplification and better speakers which are in the works.
    I did hear a Cambridge Audio CD player 851c and it was fantastic in a tube amp system but it does not play SACDs that I can tell.
    The Oppo is growing in popularity at audio shows, a number of vendors used the Oppo 105 as a source at AXPONA this year. It has leanings to the analytical/detail side of the fence. Possibly too bright depending on system synergy.
    Once again I am happy with the Marantz, it is a powerful, rich dynamic player with very good detail and clarity but I have heard better in a better system. If equivalent system upgrades don't get me there, I'll be selling it in favor of the Cambridge 851c which is capable of next level sound quality. I only have a few SACDs so that part is not important to me.

7. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Tommy, I got a SCD-5400 in a repair dispute with SONY. Additionally, I had the 9000ES, the SCD-1, and the 7ES. Sony made a wonderful product, but here is the most important thing to know. After 7 years (MAX), there are no parts for any SONY product, none. Seven years is there absolutely max to service and provide any parts, and you would not want to send any Sony product to Laredo Texas, as they have probably the worst repair record possible in the United States. I sold all my Sony CD and SACD players with the exception of the SCD-1, as nothing, including the 5400 can be repaired after seven years. To be very clear this is (7) years after the date of manufacture for the particular model, not when you bought it. Most people have no idea about this (7) year limitation on repairs and all parts.

Doug_B and Dino like this.
  8. Litejazz53

I would like to put my vote in for Oppo's 105D. While I have not read all the many posts on this subject, I have owned some very expensive equipment, still have the Sony SCD-1, which was a very nice SACD player. I sold all my Sony because of their repair facility and the seven year repair limitation and purchased the 105D, and it was every bit as good as anything I have owned. I'm certain the Esoteric K-01 would be a NICE improvement over my Oppo 105D, but why people would even compare Esoteric to an Oppo product is silly as the Esoteric K-01 lists for a mere $22,500.00, and do you even have Wilson or Aerial 20T speakers that will help you realize the benefits? In regard to the rest of the electronics, I have owned the very best Mark Levinson, Jeff Rowland and Krell, last was Jeff Rowland. What I have now just looks wonderful and sounds wonderful, and this company, unlike SONY, can fix their products for a lifetime, and you can save sooooo much cheese over the high end companies, and hey, the president of the company will talk to you! (All just purchased, love it!)
    [​IMG]

RJJETS, Shvartze Shabbos and Linger63 like this.
  9. Litejazz53

This is one of the MOST important factors you can consider. So many people just do NOT realize, at some point in time you might need to have your product serviced!
    I learned this the hard way with Sony and their SEVEN year repair and parts limitation, not to mention their one and only repair center for electronics, Laredo Texas, which has more damaged products than they do repaired products. To be able to have a product repaired way down the road is worth a great deal![​IMG]

farmingdad likes this.
  10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

That's why I bought an Esoteric K-01X, I wanted an SACD player that should last me to the END.

11. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I guess if you want to be part of the revolution go with the OPPO. It has great support from its company and the unit is a jack of all trades--master of none. The Cambridge is similiar and if some certain features are nor as important to you that the OPPO has then get the Cambridge. Picture wise in normal setup they are identical to me. The sound package in the OPPO seems to be more flexible.
    Cant go wrong with either so maybe let price and or a deal make the difference. Take care, John M.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  12. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I reckon they are BOTH incredible value for what they offer and the level it's offered at!!!

13. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

I recall reading this review and was very surprised at the conclusions they made about stereo music SQ. However, the magazine was not clear how it tested the music performance of the oppo. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they simply skipped the player's own superb sabre dac and tested a cd via the hdmi and whatever AV receiver they were using to test the 2 BD players. After all, the review was largely about BD audio-visual performance. I own the oppo 105d and it replaces both my Pioneer BD player and my Arcam FMJ CDP. The Arcam cost £1100 about 15 years ago and is a superb CD player but the oppo is at least as good and in addition it is a great DVDA, SACD and BD machine. There is no way that the oppo's stereo music performance is merely comparable to a modestly priced CDP when using its own dac. All IMHO, of course.

14. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I wouldn't advise anybody to make decisions based on What HiFi reviews.

15. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Agreed. It relies too much on advertising to be trusted as a neutral publication.

16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I actually think What Hi Fi is somewhat different then the US mags in this regard as a good chunk of its advertising is for retail chains vs. the manufacturers. The reason I'd suggest avoiding their advice is they have some brands that be it a cozy relationship with the company or their own personal biases, these brands are never getting anything but 5 stars and glowing praise. The majority of these brands are UK companies, but not all as Marantz is the subject of hagiographies there as well. So if one has already decided to buy a Rega turntable or Marantz CD player and is just looking for affirmation, head over to What Hi Fi. Otherwise, I'd stick to testimonials from owners.

delmonaco and Pancat like this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Great setup, and review. I also owned the SCD-1 (two, actually), and much prefer the sound from the 105D.

rbbert and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. From what I've heard your listening experience isn't unique & your ideas about their test procedure may be spot on. Just wanted to offer up their opinion to possibly help a prospective buyer.

Pancat likes this.
  19. Thanks, John! I'm convinced the video is the same from everything I've read too. Im just wondering which one sounds better using the stereo analogue RCA output.

20. Agreed. And for your information only the receiving and shipping is done in Larado TX, the Sony repair facilities are all located a block away just over the border in Mexico. None of the repair work is done on the U.S. side.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

There seem to be two schools of thought re: the SCD-1. One says it's a great sounding player that is still competitive with the better sounding SACD players of today. The other says it always sounded poor and still does. I'm not sure I really understand either POV.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Have the Marantz SA8005 on a short in home demo.
    Sent the Oppo 105D back 3 weeks ago.

The Marantz has all the bass heft and warmth missing from the Oppo.
    Soundstage is deeper too.
    The Oppo had, in comprison, a very flat presentation and it bathed everything in a "bright light" (which isn't to say it sounds bright......hope that makes sense).
    The Oppo however seemed to provide better overall resolution and bass articulation.

I appreciate both players, neither perfect. Not sure I can say one is "better" and not sure I want to live with either one.

If one could combine the strengths (IMO) of each unit you'd have a killer player.
    Or if the Marantz at least had the versatility of the Oppo......

Guess it's time to try a Cambridge

23. Joe111

Joe111 New Member

Hi
    I do not own an Oppo player yet. The reviews that I have read that they are fantastic players. I plan on purchasing the Oppo 103. I was going to purchase the Oppo 103D, but I was told the Darbee chip is only really noticeable on Flat screens larger than 60". There is one problem that bothers me, none of the Oppo players are capable of playing the 4K DVD's when they become available. Customer have already spent from $600.00 to $1,700 for the current players. Will Oppo do anything for these customers or must they spend another $1,800 for the new players? I believe something should be done to please current customers.

24. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Was curious Tullman how your Modwright Oppo 105 stacks up against your Esoteric Player. I got the 105D to play the wide variety of media I now have BUT want to know if I should get the Modwright upgrade or buy a Esoteric/other high end player for my CD/SACD titles for best performance. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm a long time Oppo customer and a huge fan of their players and service. Anyone that is fairly knowledgeable in A/V gear and future products know the 4k/UHD format is here. So if anyone that is interested in 4k/UHD playback should buy a player with 4k/UHD playback capability. If they don't and buy a standard DVD/Blu-ray player then that's their choice.

Oppo hasn't come out and announced when their new players with 4k/UHD playback will be available. But word is that it won't be till the end of 2016 or early 2017. So if anyone buys a 103/103D or 105D at this time shouldn't get anything from Oppo as they made the choice not to wait. In all honesty to expect that Oppo "do anything" for those customers is a bit much IMO.

Bill

Standingstones, farmingdad and Guss2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.