Is Let It Be collection the next Beatles release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And I've said this before, but:
    This whole "dreadful" project in January 1969 took up THREE WEEKS of work. That's it. Out of the grand scheme of Beatle life and Beatle history, this was only a measly 20 days of work!! Basically, January 2-3, 6-10, and 13-14 (George was not around for these last 2 days as he quit that week) at Twickenham for a total of 9 days, and then 11 days from January 21-31 at Apple. It is easy for the press and many people to make it sound like this project was three years (and not weeks) of torture, but it really was quite a short span. And even though the Twickenham part was a frustrating time, the work at Apple was productive and relatively happy (especially with Billy Preston). The long drawn-out period of time needed to figure out what to do with the film and audio was a big fiasco, but the initial time needed was 20 days of work. And then those 4 guys who supposedly "hated" each other were already back in the studio intermittently again in February 1969, moving on to the early sessions for some of the Abbey Road tracks. So in my mind the 3 weeks of LET IT BE work were a blip on the screen of their career.

2. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

yeah, when you put it like that - it is insignificant indeed. One could argue that the sessions for White Album were much more tedious in terms of duration and unhealthy "work at night" routine and beds in studio that became established.

P. S. Is there any explanation why The Beatles could not simply demand by then that they would not be woken up early in the morning so that filming could start each day after lunch and go into the night? They surely could afford.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  3. Arnold Grove

Probably film union rules and costs. If they started the filming later, it probably would have entailed loads of overtime. Plus when the Beatles agreed to do the project and planned it all out (presumably all of the planning was done in late 1968), they theoretically thought it would be a good project to do. And they didn't see any problems. Only when they started did they realize that something was wrong.

4. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

...and the use of the word 'fight' in reference to their conversation is a very loose use of the word 'fight'.

Arnold Grove and JimC like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

"Tiff" ?

6. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

thats about right..and a whimpy one at that

7. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident

Haha! Just a good guess :D I hope my "Let it Be" wish comes true too someday! And if I'm clairvoyant, you should expect it soon :love: In my dreams!

EddieMann likes this.
  8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

It was also one of the most productive and successful periods of 3 weeks any band has ever spent in a studio, at least from 69 on.

Zeki likes this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Yes, despite it all, they still managed to get a full-length film, a new album, three #1 singles (in the USA), and --- most important --- more than 5000 threads on the SH Music Forums about it... ;)

Gloi, crossroads69, petem1966 and 2 others like this.
  10. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Just give us a Blu-Ray with bonus material, and ALL of the Glyn Johns recordings and I will be happy.

11. Arnold Grove

Not so fast. First, what is your projected life span? ... ;)

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  12. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Thanks Arnie, you are sooo right. I sometimes forget that looming specter, when it comes to impending Beatles archival releases, or any speculation therein. :faint:

Arnold Grove likes this.
  13. MichaelPapelian

MichaelPapelian Forum Resident

I actually listen to my version of Get Back more than Abbey Road these days. It's a great album and truly a band album as they are actually playing together as a band.
    Give it a try:
    Side A
    Get Back (single version)
    Dig a Pony (naked version
    Old Brown Shoe
    Don't Let Me Down (single version)
    One after 909 (naked version)
    I've Got a Feeling (naked version
    Side B
    The Ballad of John and Yoko
    Two of Us (naked version)
    For You Blue (naked version)
    The Long and Winding Road (naked version)
    Across the Universe (wildlife version)
    Let It Be (single version)

If only this had been released in the summer of 69.

Olompali likes this.
  14. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

It couldn't have been released in 69 as Antares Auto Tune had not yet been invented and John's bass was consistently out of tune. The whole "naked" project is a revisionist history sham.

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I think the "early in the morning" complaint has been overblown over the years. Yes, they didn't maintain their usual hours, but the "call" on the first day (for The Beatles, anyway) was 9:00, and Paul was late. They soon moved it to 10:00, and while Paul was generally early, almost always someone wouldn't make it until well after 10. They weren't getting up at the crack of dawn for this.

16. Arnold Grove

Speaking of "Early in the Morning":

Dugan likes this.
  17. MichaelPapelian

MichaelPapelian Forum Resident

The songs are great and they are actually playing as a band. The problem was that they only had 9 releasable songs done. By not releasing The Ballad of John and Yoko as a single and adding Across The Universe they had an honest to god album.

Give me Dig a Pony over Sun King, Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam any day of the week.

18. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Totally agree about MLH. I have no idea why they stuck with him through so many projects. The guy sucked as a director. Every one of his videos has basic, fundamental flaws. Rain cuts away from Paul's bass at the most pivotal point (the flourish at the end), Hey Jude has far too many extreme close-ups of Paul. The concert sequence at the end of LIB is just a mess. The guy had no idea how to cut a music video where one gets to see the emotional keynotes of the performance. How he wound up with such a prestigious gig multiple times is anyone's guess.

cublowell and DK Pete like this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I was equally stupid (maybe more so). In highschool (mid-seventies), a friend of mine was already an avid "Rock music" collector and had somehow acquired a copy of the book; he was kind enough to give it to me, knowing how obsessed I was with The Beatles. The cover was pretty beat up but every page was intact. What did I do..? I cut it up placing some pictures in a keepsake Beatle book I had going and creating posters out of others with individual pictures.

...operative word here? "*****".

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

These are all great points but aren't you guys ignoring the fact that this was still the infancy stage of filming Rock bands? I totally agree about too many closeups on Paul on Hey Jude but doesn't the lead singer of a song always get the most camera time?

..just to add, also from the same period as Let It Be (more or less) is Gimme Shelter. Watching it over the years there are plenty of lousy edits on there-especially during the Altamont portion.

somnar likes this.
  21. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Love the Hey Jude film, ditto Revolution.

I also have very few issues with Let It Be, especially considering how little - in terms of feature length bands docs - had come before it. I think the cutting of the rooftop stuff is great.

DK Pete likes this.
  22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I take three weeks fixing a fence post
    :help:
    :winkgrin:

Gloi, markshan, EddieMann and 2 others like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

My only problem with Rock movies from that time is the thinness of the overall soundtrack (which will be greatly improved upon re-issue if and when that happens)...and what bugged me about the LIB movie is how often Ringo's drum hits were out of synch, visually. I agree about the rooftop, though; very nicely done for that period in time. It would be nice to get some alternate views as a bonus when it finally gets released.

somnar likes this.
  24. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

With regard to rooftop I would prefer no cutaways to random people being interviewed. Just the Beatles please

25. somnar

somnar Senior Member

One of my favorite things about the movie - gives context to this amazing thing that was happening a few stories up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.