Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I remember thinking this character in the "Say, Say, Say" video was actually Denny!
    [​IMG]

Yorick and theMess like this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

:laugh::laughup:

theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That has always been the problem with this forum; when the tote bags are actually released and in our hands, we move on to discuss the tote bags that may be released with the next reissue.

:D

4. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Not to flog the dead horse or anything, but can anybody explain why the 24/96 POP original album download appears (based on reports) to be "true" 24/96? This would be impossible if the album had been mixed digitally using early '80s digital technology, correct?

5. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I remain pretty concerned that my Super Deluxe from Amazon Italy hasn't yet shipped. Half expecting a cancellation in the week.

On the other hand, I've been watching my Pipes on it's travels via UPS. After leaving Richmond, it's travelled across the border to Seattle, Louisville and has been chilling in Philadelphia since yesterday morning. According to Amazon Canada, it made a brief stop at East Midlands Airport, GB on Friday, before reappearing in Philly. Amazon also told me on Friday there was a customs delay, but the parcel still seems to be travelling across the US. UPS says it'll arrive tomorrow, two days ahead of amazons estimate. Ambitious, if true.

theMess likes this.
  6. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Well, we can rule out him editing it down in order for it to fit on a jammed full CD...

Jayseph and leeroy jenkins like this.
  7. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Is there any way I can secure the remastered original mix Tug Of War disc? I like that mix much better than the remix (which isn't bad; I just like the original better).

8. Thrillington

It seems there is no way, since apparently the original mix has not been remastered, just an older mastering reused.

driverdrummer, theMess and Frank like this.
  9. bubba-ho-tep

After cancelling my pre-order through Kingsroad on Friday and going with Bullmoose instead, I now have an estimated delivery date of tomorrow!

10. bubba-ho-tep

How does the older mastering sound? To me, the vintage of the mastering doesn't mean anything if it still sounds good.

11. Thrillington

I'm afraid I would not know, my set has yet to ship. But the lack of remastering has been discussed in this thread fairly recently.

theMess likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

SHIPPING Update from Tibet:
    The set has reached the highest point of the Himalayas. It is ALL downhill from hereon in. The set is on schedule to arrive on time (after next summer's thaw). Shown is the courier yak and guide:
    [​IMG]

;)

13. I can tell from her expression, that she's upset that Amazon.tibet doesn't offer the tote bags. They'd look quite fetching hanging from her yak!

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

She gets to keep all the extra yak butter that she wants. It's win-win situation for everyone... ;)

sallymae_hogsby, theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

While waiting for my deluxe sets to arrive, I keep happy listening to this 1982 Japanese pressing.[​IMG]][/IMG]

Carlox and theMess like this.
  16. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Okay, still in the spirit of wild, but semi-informed, speculation, here goes... We know (c.f. "Give Peace a Chance") that, when both parties are amenable to changing credits, then credits can be changed. What we have in case of Rainclouds is perhaps similar. It's my impression that Denny sold all his co-written rights to Paul. If that's the case, then it seems like a pretty easy procedure: Paul thinks back to the writing of Rainclouds, reconsiders Denny's contributions to the process, and concludes that co-writer status was perhaps overly generous at the time. Paul then consults the legal owner of Denny's interests in this case - Paul himself - and finds no objection. Et voilà: credit changed.

But I speculate, of course. My actual suspicion is that the credit as written is an error that just squeaked by the copy-editor/fact-checker or whatever. Although that would be surprising, since people do get their danders up about writing credit (c.f. "McCartney/Lennon") and I would think editors and music publishers would take special care with such things. Which raises another issue: would Denny retain some kind of "moral right" to the naming credit, even if he sold his commercial interest in the song? And what, if anything, would such a moral right consist in? I mean, could he sue for damages? Or would he just be entitled to an apology and a correction in future printings?

Where's a lawyer when you need one?! Yo Brainwashed! Are you around?

theMess likes this.
  17. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Nice to see they finally found a delivery yak without the swastikas on the saddle--that stuff will get you in trouble in my neighborhood!

pablo fanques likes this.
  18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I have always felt that 'Dress Me Up As A Robber' sounded like a 'New Wave' influenced song, and I can imagine it working well on BTTE.

JimC likes this.
  19. revolution_vanderbilt

Wanderlust should be of that vintage too

pablo fanques and theMess like this.
  20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

His song selection process is fascinating to me; can you imagine writing something as wonderful as 'Wanderlust', and then not releasing it for several years on albums like London Town and BTTE?

I also think that songs like 'No Values' and 'Dress Me Up As A Robber' would have gone perfectly on BTTE, maybe instead of one of the two medleys, because they would have suited the sound of the time.

21. revolution_vanderbilt

I can understand it though. He has periods where is can't turn of the Waterspout of songs, and other periods where writing probably doesn't come so easily. In the latter case, he can look back to his demos and see what there is to work on. Also, if he really tried to work on a lot of songs at one time, he could possibly burn out and not give his all.

At this point, I want to remind folks that Getting Closer dates as far back as '73 when Paul was writing for Band On The Run!

Chikolad, Jayseph and theMess like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

I believe that Mark Lewisohn has just uncovered info to prove that Paul McCartney wrote "Bip Bop" in 1946, which means Paul kept that song back for 25 years!!! ;)

pablo fanques, Calico, DLeet and 2 others like this.
  23. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Why do you assume it had been mixed digitally? Obviously this isn't the case based on the findings of the 24/96 files.

Not everything had been digitally mixed back then.

24. helter

helter Forum Resident

My sources tell me it was 1944 because only a 2 year old could write those kind of lyrics :wiggle:

25. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Meanwhile back on Kingsroad.........................
    ................nothing!

Peace and love✌

Jerry Horne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.