Is Goof Off okay to remove an old sticker from a laminated LP sleeve?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BejittoSSJ5, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a UK misaligned Apple 1st pressing of Abbey Road coming to me soon, there's what looks to be a price sticker on it and where someone wrote their name in huge letters on the front, so I was wondering if Goof Off was okay as opposed to Goo Gone? Or is it too strong that it will damage the sleeve?

2. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

i would just leave it

erniebert likes this.
  3. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Goof Off would probably destroy it

gingerly, vinyl13 and KT88 like this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I don't trust Goof off, but I had good luck using lighter fluid removing a sticker. Just enough to dampen the entire sticker. Wait and then peel. Still, if it's super precious, leave it.

gingerly and Madlove like this.
  5. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident Thread Starter

vinyl13 likes this.
  6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I think I would try a heat gun first and see if you can free it up.

nolazep and misterclean like this.
  7. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I would just leave it.

8. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I have used Ronsonol lighter fluid to remove a sticker on a laminated sleeve. I wetted the sticker thoroughly with a Q-tip for several minutes and then lifted a corner carefully with a pair of tweezers and pulled it off gently and slowly while wetting underneath the label with the aforementioned Q-tip to make sure the laminate would not come off with the label. The sticker came off and no damage was done. I then wiped off the glue residue from the sleeve with a small cloth dipped in Ronsonol. No guarantees though, I don't know if all laminate formulations are the same and I have only had to do it on one laminated sleeve and it was German made, not UK. Also, the sticker was relatively recent and not obstinate. If you do decide to do it, don't use a nail to lift the corner of the sticker - the nail is likely to indent the sleeve - small flat tweezers work better. I use the same technique on stickers on all sleeves.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I have bought some used digipak CDs from a local store that have price sticker/bar code on them. First, I heat up the sticker with a hair dryer and then carefully remove it. I use "Goo Gone" applied to a paper towel to remove any left over residue applying just a little bit of the fluid to the towel at a time until the residue is completely removed. I have not noticed any permanant deterioration or discoloration on any of these digipaks (so far!).

10. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I used to work in the book trade, and this is absolutely what you want to use.

After wetting the edges of the sticker with Ronsonol, which is available at your local tobacconist use the peeler to get an edge up, then you can gently work it underneath the sticker and squirt tiny amounts of the lighter fluid underneath to continue to get the sticker to let go. Try it on something you don't care about first to get the hang of it.

The Ronsonal/lighter fluid/naptha is great because it evaporates completely and quickly and leave NO residue. Don't smoke when using it, or use it near anything that makes a spark or has an open flame, obviously.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Peeler...44143846&sr=8-1&keywords=sticker+remover+tool

VinylRob and Ghostworld like this.
  11. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Goof off destroys covers...I've tried it with poor results.

12. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

DISCLAIMER: The only way to guarantee no damage to the cover art, would be to not touch it!

A better product, with less chance of album cover damage would be Bestine rubber cement solvent. I have used it for decades in advertising page mock up, on photos, and on vintage record covers. It will not leave a water mark on paper covered cardboard covers whatsoever, either with gloss and matt. I have done literally hundreds of covers. Leaves no residue of any kind on any surface. There is always the chance that it will allow the print ink to bleed if you work the surface too abasively, so work SLOWLY and CAREFULLY, using small amounts of solvent at a time. A finger nail is often all that is needed to peel a label or sticker edge up. There are no second chances!

Nothing will eliminate the writing on the cover, sorry.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  13. puroagave

puroagave Forum Resident

Ditto, I've been using Ronsonol for a few decades to remove price tags, even on the record labels themselves. out of the hundreds jackets/record labels i've used it on i've only eff'd up a few times and it was early in the learning curve.

oregonalex likes this.
  14. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Isn't goo gone citrus based?

15. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

Yes

timztunz likes this.
  16. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I actually had very nice results with Goo Gone to remove a sticker on a German laminated cover. It did indeed leave a residue (not wipe off-able) and I figured oh well BUT I was delighted to find the residue started to diminish after a couple of days. Within a month, all traces of the Goo Gone had vanished. I don't know that I'll try it again - certainly not on a non-laminated cover.

17. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

It's not anymore OK than removing your mattress tag.

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Try a hair dryer first. Heat up the glue, and it should be much easier to peel off.

19. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Goof Off is not Goo Off. I have used a rag moistened with paint thinner, of all things, for years. Usually my fingernail gets the job done, but be patient. As long as the cover is a shiny laminate it works. Probably close to the lighter fluid fix. Got to dissolve the adhesive. Hair dryers can also be helpful. My heat gun is a bit of an overkill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.